Names from your heritage or ethnicity?

If you had to pick a name from your ethnic background, what would it be?

I’m half Polish and half Bohemian (Czech). They are very close, so most of these names can probably cross-over (into the other ethnicity).

Polish names:

[name]Anastazja[/name]
Aniela (ahn-yel-ah)
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]
Jozefina
[name]Kasia[/name] (Kah-sha)
Klocia (Klo-sha)
[name]Nadzia[/name]

[name]Jakub[/name]
[name]Krzysztof[/name]
Lukasz
[name]Stefan[/name]

Czech names:

[name]Daniela[/name]
[name]Danika[/name]
[name]Svetlana[/name]

Aleksander
[name]Jakub[/name]
[name]Lukas[/name]

I’m half Italian and half [name]German[/name].
I would choose…

Italian (girls):
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Amalia[/name]
[name]Carina[/name]
[name]Eloisa[/name]
[name]Giada[/name]
[name]Honora[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]

Italian(boys):
[name]Alessandro[/name]
[name]Elio[/name]
[name]Gavino[/name]
[name]Ilario[/name]
[name]Matteo[/name]
[name]Oliviero[/name]
(and I like the name [name]Roman[/name], but my hubby says “its corny”)

[name]German/name:
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Lina[/name]
[name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Odetta[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]

[name]German/name:
[name]Augusten[/name]
[name]Brant[/name]
[name]Carsten[/name]
[name]Oskar[/name]

Combos?
[name]Matteo[/name] [name]Augusten[/name]
[name]Aria[/name] [name]Giselle[/name]

Aside from English, I am part Irish and part Scottish. I love lots of names from both languages, and so I will have to think about this.

I was born in Korea, and when we lived there, my best friends were called [name]Hana[/name] and (I’m not sure of this spelling in the [name]Roman[/name] alphabet) Kyung Mi. I love them, especially the latter, but I have not a drop of Korean blood in me, and so would feel an imposter using them!

atshintsya [at-shii-chaa] it means ‘stranger boy’ i can totally relate to it and my grgrgr gmas name/kind of i feel a connection to her to.
shozii- i can’t remember the meaning
sintenilyn- it means like white complexion or light hair ‘let me see him first’ i think it’s a guys name, but in a dream I had it was a baby girls name.

Scottish, English, Irish, Welsh, Native American

[name]Allan[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]/[name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Ann[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Jean[/name]
[name]John[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Kathleen[/name]
[name]Kenneth[/name]
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name]
[name]May[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Philip[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Susan[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]William[/name]

Being super Norwegian in all fragments of ancestry, I’d have to chose Norwegian/Norse names for this one, and I have a ready list ^^
Girls:
Lerke
[name]Minna[/name]
[name]Erla[/name]
[name]Liva[/name]
[name]Una[/name]
Edme
Olava
Duva

Boys:
Ravn
Frende
Bror
[name]Alvar[/name]
Lyder
Leik
Emre
Aune

I am a bit Irish a bit English and half lebanese so,
Irish:[name]Orla[/name], [name]Finnian[/name], [name]Aoife[/name], [name]Patrick[/name](My great grandfather), [name]Erin[/name], and [name]Brandon[/name].
English:[name]Beatrice[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Jacqueline[/name], [name]Max[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Edward[/name], and [name]Maisy[/name].
Lebanese:[name]Rana[/name], Segi, [name]Sabine[/name], [name]Yara[/name], [name]Amal[/name], simone(sim-on, male)

P.S about the English names I think they are all English but please correct me if they are not. If you don’t mind me saying I have close family in Australia thus my fave Australian names are [name]Lachlan[/name] (not accually Australian but really popular there) and [name]Matilda[/name].

We used names from our heritage for my son but not the names we would have used if he was to grow only in Japan or only in [name]Cuba[/name]. If I had no problem with pronounciation and style I would use:

Boys: Kaito, Daichi, [name]Ren[/name], [name]Hiroshi[/name], Shinjiro or Zenjiro.
Girls: Shiori, Haruyo, Sakae, [name]Hikaru[/name], Natsuyo or Tsukiko.

My son’s first name is [name]Ryo[/name]. Depending on the Kanji used to write the name it can be “refreshing-reality” or “refreshing-distant”. We use the first pair. [name]Ryo[/name] is also a misspelled form of the Spanish word for [name]River[/name] ([name]Rio[/name]) but it is pronounced the same way. It might not be the more complex Japanese name that I grew up loving but I’m very proud of his name and truly love it.

These names are amazing, Dearest! [name]Love[/name] Ravn. [name]How[/name] do you pronounce it?

Thank you [name]Susan[/name]!
I spent a lot of time picking them out!
Ravn is the Norwegian equivalent of [name]Raven[/name] (big surprise) and has long tradition as a boys name but is very rare…
It has one syllable, and the R is properly pronounced. I don’t know what else to say about pronunciation to be honest!
I’m glad you like it though!

Ravn is beyond cool.
Here are some more Scandinavian names that I love (which ones are Norwegian?):

Girls
[name]Annika[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Lempi[/name]
[name]Lovisa[/name]
[name]Matilde[/name] - ends in an “e” rather than an “a”.
Runa - like a rune?
[name]Saga[/name]
[name]Thora[/name]
[name]Tove[/name] - makes me think of a warm stove!

Boys
[name]Anders[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Harald[/name] - love the second “a” rather than an “o”.
[name]Jesper[/name]
[name]Lars[/name]
[name]Linus[/name]
[name]Olaf[/name]
[name]Oskar[/name] - love that “k”.
[name]Per[/name]
[name]Rasmus[/name]
Sakari - sounds Japanese!
[name]Sven[/name]
[name]Torsten[/name]

[name]Lovely[/name] list [name]Susan[/name]!
I’ll look them all up for you in my Norwegian name resources and tell you what it says:
[name]Annika[/name] is Swedish, really, but it’s well used in Norway!
[name]Ingrid[/name] is very Norwegian/Norse
[name]Lempi[/name] is a name I’ve never heard before, it’s not Scandianvian!
[name]Lovisa[/name] is the Scandinavian form of [name]Louisa[/name]/[name]Louise[/name], reminds me of the Norwegian feminine form of [name]Ludvig[/name], Lovinda which I think is really pretty!
[name]Matilde[/name] yes, with an -e, but it’s still [name]German[/name]!
Runa, yes like [name]Rune[/name] only two syllables with and a-ending, means secret and is Norse (which generally counts as Norwegian to me!)
[name]Thora[/name] is also Norse, from [name]Thor[/name]
[name]Saga[/name] is a Swedish and Norwegian word, but has only been used as a name in [name]Sweden[/name] until very recently
[name]Tove[/name] doesn’t rhyme with stove! it’s TAWE-veh (the o is pronounced like ‘awe’)

[name]Anders[/name] is a Norwegian variant of [name]Andreas[/name]
[name]Finn[/name] is Norse, very Norse, means ‘good at finding things’ or ‘a good hunter’ …
[name]Harald[/name] is our [name]King[/name], Norse and very lovely, means army chief!
[name]Jesper[/name] is Persian, related to [name]Caspar[/name] and I have no idea how Norwegian it is, since it may have come with the Vikings or it may have come 700 years later, I have no way of knowing!
[name]Lars[/name], the ultimate Norse name which is just the Norwegian form of [name]Laurence[/name] really :slight_smile:
[name]Linus[/name] is Latin, came into use in Norway in the 90’s and is now on the top 100 for boys, so I guess in a way it’s Scandinavian since it’s mostly used in Scandinavia. I think it’s more used in [name]Sweden[/name]/denmark though, but I don’t know…
[name]Olaf[/name] is Norse, more common now as [name]Olav[/name], has SO many pretty side forms, Olaus and Olaves for boys and Olava, [name]Olea[/name], [name]Oleanna[/name], [name]Olina[/name] and Olette for the ladies! (Olava is my favourite, and [name]Olav[/name] is my dad’s name!)
[name]Oskar[/name], we do love our k’s in Norway!
[name]Per[/name] is a Norwegian variant of [name]Peter[/name]
[name]Rasmus[/name] is Latin from [name]Erasmus[/name], but I think it’s only being used in Scandinavia these days, mostly in Denmark where 1% of all men are called [name]Rasmus[/name]!
Sakari is not a Norwegian name, but Sakarias is the Norwegian form of [name]Zachariah[/name]/[name]Zachary[/name]
[name]Sven[/name] is the Danish form of the Norse [name]Svein[/name]. 27000 are called [name]Svein[/name], 4000 are called [name]Sven[/name] in Norway which means both forms are common, although one more so than the other!
[name]Torsten[/name] is a combination of [name]Thor[/name] and [name]Stone[/name] (big surprise!), more commonly used as Torstein which over 4000 are called. Only 89 are called [name]Torsten[/name]…

I’m Celtic, mostly; Irish, Welsh, and Scottish, with a touch of [name]German[/name] and Native American (Cherokee).

So…
IRISH GIRLS: [name]Aileen[/name] (my MN), [name]Aisling[/name], [name]Bridget[/name], [name]Catriona[/name], [name]Deirdre[/name], [name]Emer[/name], [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Grainne[/name] (pron. GRAWN-ya), [name]Maureen[/name], [name]Moira[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Roisin[/name] (pron. ROW-sheen), [name]Siobhan[/name] (pron. Sha-VAWN), [name]Sorcha[/name] (SORE-ka)
IRISH BOYS: [name]Brennan[/name], [name]Carey[/name], [name]Cian[/name] ([name]KEEN[/name]), [name]Cillian[/name] (KILL-ee-an), Columban, [name]Connor[/name], [name]Cormac[/name], [name]Donovan[/name], [name]Fergus[/name], [name]Keane[/name], [name]Kieran[/name], [name]Killian[/name], [name]Niall[/name], [name]Riordan[/name], [name]Ronan[/name], [name]Shane[/name]
SCOTTISH GIRLS: [name]Ailsa[/name], [name]Blair[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Lilias[/name], [name]Rhona[/name]
SCOTTISH BOYS: [name]Alasdair[/name], [name]Alister[/name], [name]Callum[/name], [name]Gavin[/name], [name]Grant[/name], [name]Gus[/name], [name]Ross[/name], [name]Scott[/name]
WELSH GIRLS: Aderyn, [name]Carys[/name], [name]Meredith[/name]
WELSH BOYS: [name]Gareth[/name], [name]Howell[/name], [name]Rhys[/name]
[name]GERMAN[/name] GIRLS: [name]Ada[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Agnes[/name], [name]Angelina[/name], [name]Astrid[/name], [name]Augusta[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Clara[/name], [name]Daniela[/name], [name]Eleonore[/name], [name]Elke[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Flora[/name], Friederieke, [name]Gabriela[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Katharine[/name], [name]Leona[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Miriam[/name], [name]Ottilie[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Sonja[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Ursula[/name], [name]Vera[/name]
[name]GERMAN[/name] BOYS: [name]Adam[/name], [name]Adrian[/name], [name]Anton[/name], [name]Arthur[/name], [name]Bertram[/name], [name]David[/name], [name]Edmond[/name], [name]Felix[/name], [name]Ferdinand[/name], [name]Henrik[/name], [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Isidor[/name], [name]Joachim[/name], [name]Kaspar[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Leon[/name], [name]Marcellus[/name], [name]Markus[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Rafael[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Simon[/name], [name]Soren[/name], [name]Tobias[/name], [name]Ulrich[/name], [name]Valentin[/name], Wolfram