Names like Sebastian and Sawyer?

[name]Hi[/name] again,

I posted not too long ago about girls’ names and I got some great responses so now I’m obsessing over boys’ names.
We are not yet expecting but I’m a planner and a long time name lover. We already have 1 boy name picked out which is [name]Dennis[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] N—n. [name]Dennis[/name] for DH’s father, the initials D.A.N. for my father, and [name]Alexander[/name] being my favourite ‘A’ name (our boys will go by their middle names; is that odd?).

So in the instance that we have two boys (we would like 3-4 children) I’ve been on the hunt for another perfect boy name (first name will likely be [name]James[/name] after DH).

The problem I’ve been having is that a lot of the names I love end in ‘N’ like our last name, the other problem is that other names I love are being hijacked by the girls, and everything else is getting pretty popular. So I’m wondering if anyone here can offer up some fresh new suggestions.

To give you an idea of what I like here are some of my favourites that I think I’m sadly going to have to scratch from the list for the reasons listed above:

[name]Sebastian[/name] nn [name]Seb[/name] (I just can’t let go of this name but it really would clash with our last name wouldn’t it?)
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Corbin[/name]
[name]Edison[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name] (What’s worse is that I’ve recently found out this one’s getting very popular)
[name]Odin[/name] nn [name]Odo[/name]
[name]Tobin[/name]
Clarkson nn [name]Clark[/name]

[name]Sawyer[/name] (This one is right up there with [name]Sebastian[/name] but I keep seeing so many parents using this for their girls which is really disappointing)
[name]Elliott[/name] (This ones just becoming so unisex, I don’t think I could do that to my little boy)
[name]Finley[/name] (A great Gaelic name that’s sadly gone over to the other side)

So we would prefer Irish/Gaelic names (half of our family is there/DH’s nationality), or [name]German[/name] names (for my heritage) that are preferably not on the top 500 (even better if they’re
not on the top 1000), something solid yet a bit quirky, and nothing trendy (or tryndee).

Here are some others we like but are not sure about:
[name]Friedrich[/name] ([name]FREE[/name] - drich) - Germanic - (unsure about the nickname [name]Fritz[/name] since it’s I word I occasionally use).
[name]Cormac[/name] nn [name]Mac[/name] - Gaelic - (does it sound a bit like a stuck up Edwardian gentleman to you?)
[name]Caspar[/name] - (So I initially liked [name]Jasper[/name] until I heard it was a Twilight name and people have been using it for girls, so I’m warming up to [name]Caspar[/name]. Would the NN [name]Cas[/name] be too girly? )
[name]Oliver[/name] - ([name]James[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] sounds so nice but it’s getting pretty popular, especially in [name]England[/name], which shouldn’t matter that much but being an international family we move around a lot and have family over there)
[name]Oscar[/name] - Gaelic - (This one is growing on me but is it just as popular as [name]Oliver[/name]?)
[name]Walter[/name] - Germanic

Thanks in advanced for your help! Sorry for the length of this.

[name]Cormac[/name] nn [name]Mac[/name] - Gaelic - [name]Cormac[/name] doesn’t sound stuck up to me at all! I actually met a little boy from [name]Ireland[/name] named [name]Cormac[/name] a few years ago, and he was the cutest thing! We would have had this on our list if it didn’t clash with our last name.
[name]Caspar[/name] - I think [name]Caspar[/name] would make a great choice. We are still considering [name]Jasper[/name] (don’t let Twilight ruin your name choices!), but I really like [name]Caspar[/name] (C names don’t work with our last name). The nickname [name]Cas[/name] reminds me of [name]Cash[/name], or [name]Johnny[/name] [name]Cash[/name], and that makes it all man to me.
[name]Oliver[/name] - I agree that it is getting popular, but its such a wonderful name!
[name]Walter[/name] - Germanic - I know some people aren’t a fan of [name]Walter[/name], but I know a [name]Walter[/name] who is in high school and he is an amazing actor, very popular, and a really nice kid. To me, this gives [name]Walter[/name] such a wonderful image.

From your unsure list, my favorites are [name]Caspar[/name] and [name]Cormac[/name]. I think they both sound great with [name]James[/name] (and come with the initials JC just incase you want another nickname option), and I really like them individually (since you said your son will go by this name). I think [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Cormac[/name] sound like a great sibset, especially if they went by [name]Alex[/name] and [name]Mac[/name].

Hopefully some other Berries will be able to give you some good suggestions to add to your list!

Thank you [name]Roma[/name]! I didn’t even think of using JC as a nickname, what a brilliant thought! That makes me think I’m leaning towards ‘C’ names more now, especially since there are quite a few I like.

What are your thoughts on [name]Clifford[/name] nn [name]Cliff[/name]? I came across this on another post and it really struck me.

[name]Conrad[/name]? I really like this one, but I don’t think I’d use it myself given my last name (similar to [name]Carlsen[/name]). I don’t think it’s about to become popular.

You’re welcome :slight_smile: I’m glad my comments helped.

Hmmm, [name]Clifford[/name] is certainly similar to the other names you’ve liked so far, seeing as it’s a two-syllable C name that’s uncommon, but definitely heard of and recognizable. There is the [name]Clifford[/name] the Big [name]Red[/name] Dog association (similar to what you might face with the [name]Caspar[/name] the Friendly Ghost association), but the nickname [name]Cliff[/name] is so rugged and masculine that I think a confident kid could pull it off. I like [name]Clifford[/name], but I still like [name]Caspar[/name] and [name]Cormac[/name] better.

Good luck!

Thank you Triplicate!
[name]Conrad[/name] is a lovely and strong name, though a bit to serious sounding for my taste. Thanks for the suggestion!

[quote=“roma”]

You’re welcome :slight_smile: I’m glad my comments helped.

Hmmm, [name]Clifford[/name] is certainly similar to the other names you’ve liked so far, seeing as it’s a two-syllable C name that’s uncommon, but definitely heard of and recognizable. There is the [name]Clifford[/name] the Big [name]Red[/name] Dog association (similar to what you might face with the [name]Caspar[/name] the Friendly Ghost association), but the nickname [name]Cliff[/name] is so rugged and masculine that I think a confident kid could pull it off. I like [name]Clifford[/name], but I still like [name]Caspar[/name] and [name]Cormac[/name] better.

Good luck![/quote]

Thank you [name]Roma[/name]. Yes the cartoon associations do make me wonder if they’re still off limits. [name]Do[/name] young kids today know what [name]Caspar[/name] and [name]Clifford[/name] (the movie and book series) are? I think I would be more concerned about their peers associating those names with the characters than I would about adults who automatically make those connections.