Names like vela

I like [name_f]Vela[/name_f] because…

• the constellation
  • the constellation is a ship, so like part of a long journey
  • the meaning of a beach or coast, which is a tribute to Hawai’i, where I am from
  • it’s so short & sweet (optional)

I want names that keep ALL of these characteristics, as I am falling out of love with [name_f]Vela[/name_f] at a rapid pace & need a replacement.

Maybe…

Capella
  • A group of stars in the constellation Auriga
  • Commonly known as the Goat Star
Vega
  • Similar to Vela
  • A star in the constellation Lyra
  • Means “falling” or “swooping eagle”
Lyra
  • A constellation depicting the lyre
  • In Greek mythology is said to be the lyre of Orpheus, who’s music was said to be so powerful that inanimate objects like trees, streams, and rocks could be charmed.
Cousteau
  • Surname of Jacques Cousteau, a famous French marine explorer
  • Means “coast dweller” in French
Calypso
  • In some accounts of Greek mythology, she is said to be an Oceanid, a kind of sea nymph
  • A moon of Saturn
Viatrix
  • Latin for “voyager”
  • A former constellation now known as Viator
Suvi
  • Finnish name meaning “summer”
  • Summer is reminiscent of beaches and coastlines
  • The climate of Hawai’i is warm and summer-like
3 Likes

this is a tough ask! what about:

Carina: a sister constellation to Vela, meaning “keel of the ship.” In Chinese astrology, the Carina constellation is referred to as “the bird of the South.” Also has alternate meaning “flower.”

Mira: a star in the constellation Cetus, “the whale” - can mean “peace” and “ocean.”

Delphine or Delphina: a feminization of the Delphinus “dolphin” constellation. In Chinese astrology, this constellation is a turtle protector spirit.

Auriga: a constellation that means “the charioteer.” In Chinese astrology, contains two smaller constellations meaning “bridge or pier” and “the pond where the sun sets.” Auriga is also featured in the sky creation mythology of the Marshall Islands, which is heavily ocean-centric.

Andromeda: a stretch, but it’s a constellation! In Chinese astrology, this constellation is part of “the legs,” the foot of a walking person. In the Marshall Islands, this constellation is part of the Porpoise.

3 Likes

No way! This is perfect! I already have this on my list! :grin:

3 Likes

[name_u]Cove[/name_u]
[name_f]Maia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mira[/name_f]
[name_u]Ara[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_f]Alula[/name_f] - [name_f]Star[/name_f] name and ends in the same suffix
[name_f]Astraea[/name_f] - Means star
[name_f]Estrella[/name_f] - Pronounced like [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] and also means star
[name_f]Maristela[/name_f] - Means star of the sea
[name_f]Vaiana[/name_f] - Means sea cave
[name_f]Vaila[/name_f] - Pronounced the same as [name_f]Vela[/name_f] and means foreign isle
[name_u]Vesper[/name_u] - Means evening star

1 Like