Names of Jamestown

I recently visited Jamestown, the sight of the first colony in [name]America[/name]! The museum was very good! I really enjoyed it, but being a true name lover a blown up list of names on one of the walls caught my attention and I jotted down my findings, enjoy!

Amoung the men there were several of the following-

[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Robert[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]John[/name]
[name]Richard[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]

But, amoung all the typical Colonial names there were a few (awesome) surprises! Check it out-

Carrett
Samnell
[name]Kellam[/name] (last name Throgmorten, not exactly Irish)
Techu (last name [name]Robinsen[/name])
[name]Ellis[/name] (last name [name]Kingston[/name])
[name]Jeremy[/name] (last name Alicock)

My favourite name by far was that of one of the ship boys-

[name]Nat[/name] Pecock!

Interesting, no?

[name]Just[/name] thought I’d share, maybe get picked up for a future blog and nameberry, you are welcome to my discovery!

• [name]Bella[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]

These are great and I’m not trying to rain on your parade, but the “f”'s you have listed are actually “s”'s. 17th century script can be a pain!

[name]Kellam[/name]- interesting!! [name]How[/name] do you suppose you pronounce that? Kell-uhm? like [name]Callum[/name] almost?

I just typo-ed, it should be an S in Robsen

I think [name]Kellam[/name] is pronounced just like that!

Hmm thats kind of cool. I read a thread about bringing [name]Kelly[/name] back for boys. I liked the idea but I don’t think I could actually go through with naming a boy [name]Kelly[/name]. This might be a nice alternative.

More proof that whacky names are nothing new. :slight_smile:

Interesting stuff! I would have loved to go to that museum~

It was really great, I give it rave reviews, five stars and all that jazz! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for this!!! This is right up my alley. :slight_smile:

Take care!

Thanks for checking it out, [name]Jill[/name]! Thought you’d be thrilled. The obsessive name loving follows you where ever you go! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Henry[/name] and [name]William[/name] the most. Was there a list of women’s name at the Jamestown exhibit?

Not that I saw, but I’m sure there is a public record somewhere, I’ll have find it! :slight_smile: