Names of the Past

I recently sat down with my grandma (Mary June) and asked her to give me some names of family members of the past. This is the list she gave me of my great aunts, great uncles, great grandparents, and even some cousins:

[name]Velma[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name]- my great grandma’s full name
Cindia [name]Jane[/name]- my other great grandma’s full name
[name]James[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Wesley[/name] (went by [name]Wesley[/name])- my great grandpa’s full name
[name]Mattison[/name] Thegarret (went by [name]Matt[/name])- my great grandpa’s full name

• I don’t know exactly who these other names are, most are aunts, uncles, cousins

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Dee[/name] [name]Witt[/name] (male)
[name]Ollie[/name]* (female)
[name]John[/name] [name]Lewis[/name]
[name]Russel[/name]*
[name]Stella[/name]*
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Marie[/name]*
[name]Walter[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Wilbert[/name] [name]Houston[/name]*
Wavie* (female)
Walkie* [name]Katherine[/name]
Warna [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Wanda[/name]
[name]Wilma[/name] [name]Pansy[/name]* (went by [name]Pansy[/name])
[name]Anner[/name]* (female)
[name]Martha[/name]
Virtus (male)
[name]Lillie[/name]*
[name]Geraldine[/name]*
[name]Faye[/name]*
[name]Eleanor[/name]*
[name]Gilda[/name]
[name]Brenda[/name]
[name]Bonnie[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Blanche[/name]

What do you think about these name? Any you would use as a middle name or even a first name? Any you think are completely weird?

• the names I would use as possible middle names and/or first names

Oh, wow! This is such a great list. I am a big fan of vintage names.

From your list, I like:

[name]Ollie[/name] - Maybe [name]Olympia[/name] as a full name? [name]Ollie[/name] is a cute name for a little girl, and [name]Olympia[/name] is an elegant choice for when she is older.
[name]Stella[/name] - Gorgeous in every way.
Wavie - It’s distinctive and cool, and maybe you could use [name]Waverly[/name] as a full name. I [name]LOVE[/name] this! [name]Do[/name] you mind if I steal it myself for a character in a book I plan to write? :slight_smile:
[name]Eleanor[/name] - Oh, Elegant [name]Eleanor[/name]. [name]How[/name] I adore thee.

And I know you didn’t star this one, but I really, really like [name]Martha[/name]. It might be that whole I-love-vintage thing, but it is so sweet and pretty.

Also, instead of [name]Brenda[/name], how about [name]Brenna[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], or [name]Beatrix[/name]? I don’t know about you, but [name]Brenda[/name] sounds a bit dated even to me, and like I’ve mentioned, I really like vintage.

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

[name]James[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Wesley[/name] is incredibly handsome. I’m intrigued by Thegarret as well. Wavie and Walkie made me laugh. Were they twins?

I would be honored if you would use the name Wavie in your book! I’m so glad to know my family names can be influential! Also, I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Brenna[/name], and I completely agree, [name]Brenda[/name] is not my style what so ever.

I think so!