Names similar to Hermione?

Honestly I would just use the name [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] but I know she would get teased because of the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] books. I love the series and would love for my daughter to have a name that nods to it, but [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is too obvious. What are names similar to [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] that aren’t clearly [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] related? I’ve looked at other female characters and like the names [name_f]Sybill[/name_f], [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], but none of them feel right. I love [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] because she refuses to be controlled and stands up for what she believes in, so I’d like a name that’s a variation of her’s. TIA!

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Hermione[/name_f], but wouldn’t use it because of the strong association.

Names with similar sounds(ish) or vibes-
[name_f]Hestia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ione[/name_f]
[name_f]Hesper[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_f]Mina[/name_f]
[name_f]Minette[/name_f]
[name_f]Hermia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hera[/name_f]
[name_u]Hero[/name_u]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f]

Names from [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] (I love all of the ones you listed, by the way):
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Fleur[/name_f]
[name_f]Andromeda[/name_f]
[name_f]Astoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Ginny[/name_f]/Ginevra
[name_f]Pomona[/name_f]
[name_f]Irma[/name_f]
[name_f]Dolores[/name_f] (probably not this one, haha)
[name_f]Mafalda[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Angelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Katie[/name_f]
[name_f]Romilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariana[/name_f]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Kendra[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]

4 Likes

I love how [name_f]Hestia[/name_f] and [name_f]Hera[/name_f] have the same feel as [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] and also have Greek backgrounds (I love Greek mythology). [name_f]Amara[/name_f] has always been a top favorite of mine, but I never considered it as an alternative for [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] until now. [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] is really sweet as well. I wish [name_f]Molly[/name_f] had a name I enjoyed more because her character is my favorite, but I can’t get into the name. [name_f]Fleur[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Pomona[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] are all ones I love but DH has vetoed. [name_f]Rowena[/name_f] is one we both somewhat agree on, but I like it more than he does. Thank you for all of your suggestions!

2 Likes

Helena, [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] and [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] have the same strong feeling to me. You could always use the middle name [name_u]Jean[/name_u] since that was [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]’s middle. It would sound completely ‘normal’ but you’d know who it was in reference to :blush:

1 Like

Some [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]-like names…

[name_f]Hermine[/name_f] (I have no idea how you pronounce it.)
Hermiona
[name_u]Harmony[/name_u], [name_f]Harmonie[/name_f]
[name_f]Harmonia[/name_f]
[name_f]Halima[/name_f]
[name_f]Helmine[/name_f]
[name_f]Halcione[/name_f]

With the same vibes…
[name_u]Antonia[/name_u]
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Arrietty[/name_f]
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]
Harrianna
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivetta[/name_f]
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f]
[name_f]Veronica[/name_f]

I hope you find what you’re looking for in your [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]-inspired name! It was in the top 1000 here in the UK before JK Rowling used it so here it has other associations along with its HP vibes and feels very usable - at least, to me.

Editing to add Lumina :slight_smile: :heartbeat:

2 Likes

I don’t know why but I think of
[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]

1 Like

I just want to say that I absolutely think you can use [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]. I know an adult [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] and she has no issues with her name. She was named before the series but still, I don’t think it would be a problem at all.

4 Likes

I did think of that idea! I am not particularly fond of [name_u]Jean[/name_u], but her middle name was originally supposed to be [name_f]Jane[/name_f], so maybe I could use that! I love the name [name_f]Jane[/name_f] actually. Thanks!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]!

1 Like

I would love to just use the name [name_f]Hermione[/name_f], but DH vetoed it because he has no strong connection to [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and worries about people thinking it’s a “weird” name. Totally disagree, but we have to compromise :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

My cousin is a [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] and she gets [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] for short. So sweet

1 Like

Cressida
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_u]Harmony[/name_u]
[name_f]Alaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_f]Hester[/name_f]

1 Like

Names with similar vibes…
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] ([name_f]Ginny[/name_f])
[name_u]Jean[/name_u] (Hermiones mn)
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwenevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Paulina[/name_f]

1 Like

I love [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] — the name and the character.

Fully agree!

Names that remind me of [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]…

[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]
[name_f]Thomasin[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]
[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Caliadne[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]
[name_f]Apolline[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Evadne[/name_f]
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Hestia[/name_f]
[name_f]Junia[/name_f]
[name_f]Antigone[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u]
[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]
[name_f]Melisande[/name_f]

2 Likes

Hermine is pronounced Her-MEEN-eh!

2 Likes

I wanted to add:
[name_f]Morgana[/name_f]
[name_f]Millicent[/name_f]
[name_u]Meredith[/name_u]

1 Like

I love [name_f]Rowena[/name_f] and [name_f]Luna[/name_f] for a HP nod! And I would use [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] as a middle name if you love it. Other kids likely would never know unless she told them.

1 Like