Names similar to Ingrid

So we are starting to think about a second child. My son’s name is [name_m]Ivan[/name_m] [name_m]Warren[/name_m]. However when we named my son, we used the only name we both liked. (If he’d been a girl he would have been [name_f]Isadora[/name_f]). Now for some reason I don’t like [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] any more. Some how I feel like I already used it, as crazy as that sounds. Also I’ve met more [name_u]Issy[/name_u]'s (which is what we would have called her) and it just no longer feels like an option. I have however been recently struck by the name [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], which my husband doesn’t like. I swear I don’t have a thing for I names! Any way I was hoping to get ideas for names like [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]. Please do not just post a long list of names! Please say why you chose each name and why it seems like [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]. I appreciate all input! :smiley:

These have the same feel for me:

[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]

I would say [name_u]Inge[/name_u]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] because I’m from Belgium and both [name_u]Inge[/name_u] & [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] were equally popular here 30 to 40 years ago, and were just both considered similar on many levels. So I almost can’t think of one without thinking of the other.

I love [name_u]Inge[/name_u]/[name_f]Inga[/name_f] as well! They obviously sound alike but I think it is a bit fresher and more youthful than the heavy [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]. I also want to second [name_f]Greta[/name_f] ([name_u]LOVE[/name_u] this) and [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f]/[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] are nice, as well as [name_f]Liesel[/name_f] and [name_f]Brigitta[/name_f] (sorry for the Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f] names, they just are all so pretty!). [name_f]Sigrid[/name_f] (with nn [name_m]Siggy[/name_m]/[name_m]Ziggy[/name_m] is adorable!) and [name_f]Edith[/name_f] ([name_f]Edie[/name_f]!) and [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] also have similar sounds. And [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]!

I second the idea of [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Heidi[/name_f]-both cute!

I like [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] as well, but Hubby is a no go on that. [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] was another one on my list that has not been met with approve from the spousal unit. I think what I like about [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], is has history as a name, there have been a queen, and a Hollywood legend that have worn it beautifully; and it’s different but not too different (in [name_u]America[/name_u] where we live) . Hoping to get some ideas that have that same feel, but are not as literally Scandinavian. (We had a dog named [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f], and a cat named [name_f]Greta[/name_f] while I was growing up so those names are no goes even though I think they are beautiful. Also had a cat named Frejya, who was mean as heck.)

[name_f]Heidi[/name_f] is the name of cousin that I have, that has had a very rough life. Not someone I would name my child after.

[name_f]Inga[/name_f] to me feels more like a nickname. Though a nice nick name.

There’s also [name_f]Ilse[/name_f]. But that may get confused with the word “[name_f]Isle[/name_f]” in English lol [name_f]Ilse[/name_f] is quite common where I live, just like [name_u]Inge[/name_u] and [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f].

Alright, so names with a similar sound but not scandinavian? That’s definitely tricky but let’s see what I can do. The names below were chosen for containing components that are common in scandinavian names or Ingrid specifically. These include ‘id’, ‘ed’, ‘ild’, ‘rd’ and ‘g’ and ‘t’ sounds.

Matilda
Soveig
Signy
Brigid (Bridget)
Abigail
Catrine
Katya/Katja/Katia
Catrin
Geraldine
Hazel -makes me think of Hansel
Gwynedd
Nollaig
Frida
Magda
Rivka - has 2 hard sounds right beside each other.
Sylvia
Margo
Morgan
Paige
Ayda
Zelda
Deirdre
Freda
Lydia
Sidney
Zaida
Zenaida
Francesca
Mared
Winnifred
Meredith
Lorna -So, it doesn’t have any of the above described sounds but the r before another consonant sound is present.
Audrey
Audra
Hilary
Gemma
Lysandra
Sonia
Sondra
Sidony
Clotilda

Edit: Ilsa could help distinguish it from Isle

[name_f]Johanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
Igraine
[name_f]Zenobia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]

Ooh, I love [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]. Names with similar feel:

[name_f]Antonia[/name_f] - not sure why, but it feels regal but also film noir-esque. [name_f]Annie[/name_f] would be a lovely [name_u]Issy[/name_u] substitute.

[name_f]Miriam[/name_f] - [name_f]Miri[/name_f], [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], [name_f]Mim[/name_f]; it has the same lightness and sleekness of [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], but obviously is a more popular if that’s an issue.

[name_f]Galina[/name_f] - Scandi sounding, but very lilting and fresh to an English ear.

[name_f]Lena[/name_f] - might seem a bit nicknamey but it has the modern antiquity of [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f].

[name_f]Irena[/name_f] - I think this is a really nice [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] substitute, with the same I beginning and uncommon-familiarity. [name_f]Verena[/name_f], [name_f]Serena[/name_f], [name_f]Selena[/name_f] and [name_f]Ismene[/name_f] also fit into this category if any of those appeal.

[name_f]Julia[/name_f] - again, modern antiquity feel.

[name_f]Corinna[/name_f] - I love it for [name_m]Ovid[/name_m]'s muse, but nicknames [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]/[name_f]Minna[/name_f] are a pretty good deal as well.

[name_f]Katarina[/name_f] - might be a bit harsher than the softer [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], but is similarly lilting and strong. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] or [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] also come to mind here.

[name_f]Svetlana[/name_f]/[name_f]Sveta[/name_f] - a wildcard to finish, and very Scandi! However, it does have the smooth, musical -lana with the Svet- to strengthen it up… I’m really liking this one at the moment, but it’s not to everyone’s taste! [name_f]Etta[/name_f] or [name_f]Ettie[/name_f] is a big draw, as well.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] there was something that caught your eye - let me know if anything appeals, and I’ll see if I think of anything else similar. My comments on each name probably make no sense to anyone else, but I had a go - good luck!

[name_f]Petra[/name_f] seems to me like the same vibe as [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] as I quite like it!

And maybe [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] or [name_f]Katya[/name_f]? Now I will actually shut up.

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] always reminded me of each other- both Scandinavian names, with similar endings. [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] feels lighter and more spirited, whereas [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] is darker and more mysterious though. But [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] also feels like a lighter name to me.

That name is going on the list. It does have a regal feel to it, but some weight as well. I like it, and would never have thought of it!

[name_f]Corinna[/name_f] - I love it for [name_m]Ovid[/name_m]'s muse, but nicknames [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]/[name_f]Minna[/name_f] are a pretty good deal as well.

My oldest sister used [name_f]Corinna[/name_f] for her daughter. A beautiful name, (she also snagged [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]) being the last in your family to have kids defiantly comes with a down side when it comes to names!

[name_f]Svetlana[/name_f]/[name_f]Sveta[/name_f] - a wildcard to finish, and very Scandi! However, it does have the smooth, musical -lana with the Svet- to strengthen it up… I’m really liking this one at the moment, but it’s not to everyone’s taste! [name_f]Etta[/name_f] or [name_f]Ettie[/name_f] is a big draw, as well.

I am just now realizing A how many pets I had as a child, and B how many had Scandivanian names. [name_m]Sven[/name_m] was one of my favorite dogs that we had, a big black pile of slobber, with a heart of gold. But for me [name_f]Svetlana[/name_f] reminds me to much of [name_m]Sven[/name_m].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] there was something that caught your eye - let me know if anything appeals, and I’ll see if I think of anything else similar. My comments on each name probably make no sense to anyone else, but I had a go - good luck!

They made total sense thank you for the suggestions!

I like it. I’m not sure about it, but there is difiantly something to [name_f]Petra[/name_f]. It will go in the maybe column. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_f]Sigrid[/name_f], [name_f]Bridget[/name_f], and [name_f]Freya[/name_f] all remind me of [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] and would go well with [name_m]Ivan[/name_m] :slight_smile:

To me, [name_f]Giselle[/name_f] has the same feel as [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]. It is light and airy, but it still holds a harder tone that is similar to [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f].

[name_f]Calista[/name_f] is another name that could go in the same boat as [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] or [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], and it has the cute nickname options of Lissy or [name_f]Callie[/name_f].

Megara also feels very similar to [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] imo, but it may be a bit harsh (and the Mythology behind the name is less than appealing for most).

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] are two more softer choices that go very well with or in the place of [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helped:)

What about…

[name_f]Irene[/name_f]

[name_f]Marlene[/name_f]

[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]

???

I would suggest [name_f]Isolde[/name_f]. It’s similar to both [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] in sounds, almost like a smosh. I know you really like the name [name_u]Issy[/name_u], which could go with [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], but other nicknames that could work are [name_u]Olly[/name_u], [name_f]Dolly[/name_f], [name_m]Solly[/name_m].

If you don’t like [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], there is also [name_f]Idony[/name_f] / [name_f]Idonea[/name_f]. Both relate to the Norse goddess Idunn, so it is has that Scandinavian appeal. Nicknames include [name_f]Didi[/name_f], Dio, [name_f]Dona[/name_f], [name_f]Donna[/name_f], [name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_f]Indy[/name_f], [name_f]Nona[/name_f].

Other “I” suggestions: Igraine, Inari, [name_f]Ingaborg[/name_f], Ingvild, [name_f]Ismene[/name_f]

Scandinavian names with a familiar feel: [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Frida[/name_f], [name_f]Hedda[/name_f] / [name_f]Hedy[/name_f], [name_f]Heidi[/name_f], [name_f]Ilsa[/name_f] (an “I” name, also [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] Bergman played [name_f]Isla[/name_f] in Casablanca), [name_f]Inga[/name_f], [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f], [name_f]Thora[/name_f] (vintage-y like [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f])

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] that was info to go on and GL!

[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] makes me think of
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f], [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f] and [name_f]Freya[/name_f]

The first name to pop into my mind was [name_f]Inez[/name_f], a name I personally love. I think it has a similar sound, strength, and European flare.