Names similar to Samantha?

[name]Hi[/name], all! I am looking for a way to honor my sister, [name]Samantha[/name] [name]Jean[/name], by giving one of my future children a name that is similar to hers in sound, meaning, letters, etc. However, I want to avoid using a name that is too close to the namesake.

There are two problems I have run into so far in my search for such names.

1. English-speaking variations of [name]Samantha[/name] are too similar to her name, i.e. [name]Sammie[/name], [name]Samatha[/name], [name]Sam[/name], [name]Samuel[/name].
  2. While looking at various sites for the meaning of her name, I discovered there is not a consensus on the topic. Some say the name is Hebrew because its root, [name]Samuel[/name], is Hebrew, and thus it means “told by God.” Other sites say [name]Samantha[/name] is an English name from [name]Samuel[/name], and it means “listener.”

Help me, Berries! This search means a lot to me… Can you help me find what [name]Samantha[/name] actually means, names that have similar meanings, and names that have a similar sound?

Thank you!
[name]Danni[/name]

This is the definition according to Behind the Name, which I know is a reliable source.

Perhaps intended to be a feminine form of [name]SAMUEL[/name], using the name suffix antha (possibly inspired by Greek ??? (anthos) “flower”). It originated in [name]America[/name] in the 18th century but was fairly uncommon until 1964, when it was popularized by the main character on the television show ‘Bewitched’.

I think this is the most reliable information you’ll get, as there is not a whole lot of info for [name]Samantha[/name] in the first place.
If you want to honor a [name]Samantha[/name], perhaps try another long S name that ends in an A.

[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Selena[/name]
[name]Samara[/name] (might be too similar though)
[name]Savannah[/name]
[name]Sariah[/name] (like [name]Mariah[/name])
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Soraya[/name]
[name]Celestia[/name] (this is a C name, but it has the S sound)

But the name that really comes to mind whenever I think of [name]Samantha[/name] is [name]Alexandra[/name]. They have so much in common. First of all, they are equally consonant and vowel heavy. Lots of the -an sound, but also has distinctive -th or -lex sounds. They are both long and end in A, they both are classic names that were very popular in the 80s and 90s and still being used today. They both are feminine forms of male names ([name]Samuel[/name] and [name]Alexander[/name]) and they both have a regal sound to them. Also, my favorite similarity is that they both have masculine nicknames that now work for girls too, [name]Sam[/name] and [name]Alex[/name]. Finally, they are the names of two main characters of my favorite show as a child, Totally Spies. They were named [name]Sam[/name] and [name]Alex[/name], but their real names were [name]Samantha[/name] and [name]Alexandra[/name].

Other names with a similar style:

[name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Rosanna[/name]
[name]Marianne[/name]
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Judith[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helped! :slight_smile:

Thank you, tara25! The definition was definitely helpful, and some of the S-A names are gorgeous! I had never considered the vast similarities between [name]Alexandra[/name] and [name]Samantha[/name] before, so thank you for those insights as well!

[name]How[/name] about [name]Samara[/name], with nn [name]Mara[/name] to distinguish? Is your full name [name]Danielle[/name]? Bc [name]Samara[/name] [name]Danielle[/name] is gorgeous to my ears!

Yes, my full name is [name]Danielle[/name], but I don’t go by that. I really like the name [name]Samara[/name]! That would make an excellent middle name, too :slight_smile:

Thats nice you want to honor your sister how about:

[name]Samara[/name]
[name]Samia[/name]/samea
[name]Sean[/name] the S and jean. pronounced see- ann.

I just wanted to say that my name is [name]Savannah[/name], and I love it :slight_smile: People usually call me either Savi or Sav. It’s a great alternative to [name]Samantha[/name]!

[name]Anthea[/name] has always reminded me a lot of [name]Samantha[/name]…after all, it’s basically the last five letters of [name]Samantha[/name] with an extra vowel thrown in.

I once met an Anantha (who went by the nn [name]Annie[/name]), which is another pretty option with a very similar sound.

[name]Savannah[/name] is a lovely name, and I really like [name]Anthea[/name]! Thank you!

Going along the lines of [name]Samara[/name], there is also [name]Samira[/name] and [name]Samaria[/name].