Names that have nicknames-though you wish they didnt!

I know there are A LOT of people who want to choose a name, but hate the nicknames that might come along with it. Such as for me, i think [name]Victoria[/name] is gorgeous, but [name]Vicky[/name] and [name]Tori[/name] make the name a no-no for me. Obviously your child does not have to use a nickname, so it shouldn’t limit your choices, but if you could eliminate ALL nicknames, or most at least from some names what would they be?

I love [name]Diana[/name]. Not so much [name]Di[/name]. I wish it had an adorable nn, but everything else seems like such a stretch.

I have thought about this so much, especially about boys’ names! Because there has never been much variety about what you could call a boy, almost every single classic name is shortened in some way that I don’t like, and every boy named that is invariably known by it whether they want to or not.

[name]Arthur[/name]- I think [name]Art[/name] is just gross.
[name]Richard[/name]- [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Richard[/name], but [name]Dick[/name]!? NO!
[name]Peter[/name]- one letter really makes a difference.
[name]David[/name]- same here. [name]Dave[/name] just doesn’t do it for me.
[name]Timothy[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]- [name]Joe[/name] is so boring, but [name]Joseph[/name] is really sweet.
[name]Edward[/name], [name]Edmund[/name], [name]Edwin[/name], etc- [name]Love[/name] all of them; [name]Ed[/name] is a big No.
[name]William[/name]- I don’t mind [name]Will[/name], but [name]Willy[/name], [name]Bill[/name], [name]Billy[/name]… not for me.
[name]Philip[/name]- For some reason I love the lengthened [name]Philip[/name] because I think of [name]Prince[/name] [name]Philip[/name] from Sleeping Beauty, but [name]Phil[/name] makes me think of the creep down the block. No thank you!

My daughter’s name is [name]Savannah[/name] - and I was very hesistant in naming her even though I love this name… I’m terrified of her getting Sav at school :frowning:

bradley :frowning:

[name]Catherine[/name]. I don’t love [name]Katie[/name].
[name]Annelise[/name]. I love this name but I feel like it would get nicknamed all the time.

[name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Philip[/name]
[name]James[/name]

Pretty much all the classic boys names are gorgeous to my ears, and pretty much all of their nicknames make me cringe!

My name is [name]Gabrielle[/name]… I cannot express how much I hate being called [name]Gabby[/name]. So I’m not, my nn is [name]Bella[/name], and everyone loves it, though I have to do a song and dance for them to not call me- [name]Gabby[/name], [name]Gabi[/name], [name]Elle[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Brie[/name], Gabs, [name]Gab[/name], [name]Babs[/name] ect. It’s [name]Belle[/name]/[name]Bella[/name], thank you.

I love [name]Oliver[/name], but hate [name]Ollie[/name]. [name]Oliver[/name] is so lovely and classic, but I just couldn’t stand the nickname!

[name]Anastasia[/name] is a beautiful name too, but [name]Stacey[/name]? I don’t mind [name]Anna[/name] so much - but HATE [name]Stacey[/name]. -shudder- [name]Shame[/name] I could most likely never use it :frowning:

[name]Barnaby[/name]- [name]Barney[/name]
[name]Homer[/name]- Homo

love [name]Frederick[/name]; don’t like [name]Fred[/name], [name]Freddie[/name], or [name]Rick[/name]
love [name]Samuel[/name]; not too big on [name]Sam[/name] or [name]Sammy[/name]
love [name]Nathaniel[/name]; hate [name]Nat[/name] (though I do like [name]Nate[/name])
adore [name]Elliott[/name]; worry about the girly nn [name]Ellie[/name]
adore [name]August[/name]; not a fan of [name]Gus[/name]
love [name]James[/name]; would be very upset if anyone called him [name]Jamie[/name]
can definitely see the appeal of [name]Patrick[/name]; completely turned off by [name]Pat[/name]
like [name]Deborah[/name]; [name]Debbie[/name] is just awful
really like [name]Johanna[/name]; really dislike [name]Jo[/name] (I know, even despite [name]Little[/name] Women)
really like [name]Constance[/name]; really don’t like [name]Connie[/name]

Agree with [name]Oliver[/name]. I kind of like it, but [name]Ollie[/name] is putrid.

I love [name]Elizabeth[/name] for a first name but can’t stand, [name]Beth[/name], [name]Liz[/name], [name]Lizzy[/name]…and all the other nn’s that come with [name]Elizabeth[/name].

I named my daugher [name]Grace[/name] and cringe everytime I introduce her as [name]Grace[/name] and the person instantly refers to her as [name]Gracie[/name]!

For me it’s [name]Angelica[/name], I love the full name but detest [name]Angie[/name]!

My name is [name]Elizabeth[/name]. I have kind of been stuck with [name]Liz[/name]/[name]Lizzy[/name] but I think I’m going to switch to [name]Ellie[/name]. You might like [name]Ella[/name] or [name]Ellie[/name] as [name]Elizabeth[/name] nicknames. I also used to work with an [name]Elizabeth[/name] who had no nickname, I was kind of inspired.