Names that relate to Star or ocean

Bringing home an Aussie puppy soon. We don’t know coat colour or sex until a week before. The moms name is [name_f]Star[/name_f] and dad is [name_u]Ripley[/name_u], from his full name including Riptide. I like the idea of being related to the parents names. Loved [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] but someone said it’s religious and I don’t want that connotation.

I love a good word name for a goofy fast pup like an Aussie. [name_f]My[/name_f] lovely golden retriever who died was named [name_u]Henry[/name_u] and the name fit that stoic old soul from the moment we brought him home. I’m really looking for another one that gives me the same feels!!

Names I really love but haven’t felt quite right [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], [name_f]Peach[/name_f], [name_u]Hero[/name_u], [name_u]Jett[/name_u], [name_f]Summer[/name_f], [name_u]Zola[/name_u]. If we get a red tri or red merle girl it will be something related to red- [name_f]Cherry[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] or [name_f]Meilin[/name_f] (from [name_f]Disney[/name_f] Turning Red)

Hoping for some ideas !! Thanks :blush:

3 Likes

estelle, marin and castor came to mind!

[name_f]Ondine[/name_f] (little wave)
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] (the moon in space controls the tides in the ocean)
[name_u]Reed[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u] (sky theme and red theme in one)

1 Like

[name_u]Neptune[/name_u] seems perfect for you because it’s the [name_m]Roman[/name_m] god of the sea and a planet!

[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] is another option. It means dark red and it has connections to the stars with a constellation, galaxy cluster and galaxy named [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]. You could even link it to the ocean with several ships named [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] (Phoenix - Wikipedia).

It might be too associated with the actor but what about [name_m]Radcliffe[/name_m]? It’s meaning, red clifff, refers to the color red and the sea. The astronomical connection for this name is the [name_m]Radcliffe[/name_m] wave.

[name_m]Nemo[/name_m] could also be fun. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the [name_u]Sea[/name_u] and Finding [name_m]Nemo[/name_m] connect it to the sea. The star connection is more of a stretch but if you want it to be there it can be found: Neutron Star Extreme Matter Observatory: A kilohertz-band gravitational-wave detector in the global network | Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia | Cambridge Core.

Cetus: the name of a constellation and it means whale.

[name_f]Hydra[/name_f]: the name of a constellation and it means water-serpent.

[name_f]Vela[/name_f]: a constellation and it means the sails of a ship

Pisces: again, a constellation and it means fishes.

Ran/Rán: the name of a star and the Norse goddess of the sea.

1 Like

I like [name_f]Moon[/name_f] or [name_f]Luna[/name_f] (or Lunar) as someone else mentioned since the moon controls the tides on earth, so it combines both parents’ names.
[name_f]My[/name_f] other thought was something having to do with starfish (stars in the ocean, combining both parents again). So I googled starfish and found that Astroidea is the scientific name for starfish, which could be a cool name. And I found specific types of starfish called [name_f]Asterina[/name_f], Neoferdina (maybe [name_u]Neo[/name_u] or [name_f]Dina[/name_f] for short?)

1 Like

[name_f]Astra[/name_f]- From the stars
[name_f]Estrella[/name_f]- [name_f]Star[/name_f]
[name_u]Hoku[/name_u]- [name_f]Star[/name_f] in Hawaiian
[name_u]Seren[/name_u]- [name_f]Star[/name_f] in Welsh
[name_u]Dylan[/name_u]- [name_m]Son[/name_m] of the sea
[name_u]Firth[/name_u]- Arm of the sea
[name_m]Fischer[/name_m]- Fisherman
[name_f]Iluka[/name_f]- By the sea (And is an Australian name)
[name_f]Maree[/name_f]- [name_f]Star[/name_f] of the sea (Both with star & sea!)
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]- Of the sea.

Btw, I really like [name_f]Peach[/name_f]! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Xx

1 Like

[name_m]Astro[/name_m] feels energetic and lively to me (because of [name_m]Astro[/name_m] Boy most likely!) and [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] or [name_m]Cosmos[/name_m] could also work.

Right! [name_m]Astro[/name_m] is the best name for an Aussie, it feels so right. Someone else from the breeder has an [name_m]Astro[/name_m] so I feel a bit like copying if I use it, which is probably silly.
I feel like [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] is such a good alternative. It has that same peppy feel. Thanks! I doubt I’m getting a boy, hmmm maybe could even use for a girl tho

Okay TONS of fantastic name choices from everyone. Thanks so much. You guys did not disappoint. I feel like I have a lot of cool options to pick from now.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] guinea pigs are [name_m]Cosmos[/name_m] (g), [name_f]Stella[/name_f] & [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] space names!

Mix of space & sea related ideas…
[name_u]Vega[/name_u]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_u]Nova[/name_u]
[name_f]Ula[/name_f] - love the meaning “gem of the sea”
[name_f]Maris[/name_f]
[name_f]Hester[/name_f]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]
[name_u]Sol[/name_u]
[name_u]Nori[/name_u]
[name_u]Merlin[/name_u]