Names that relate to Star or ocean

Bringing home an Aussie puppy soon. We don’t know coat colour or sex until a week before. The moms name is [name_f]Star[/name_f] and dad is [name_u]Ripley[/name_u], from his full name including Riptide. I like the idea of being related to the parents names. Loved [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] but someone said it’s religious and I don’t want that connotation.

I love a good word name for a goofy fast pup like an Aussie. [name_f]My[/name_f] lovely golden retriever who died was named [name_u]Henry[/name_u] and the name fit that stoic old soul from the moment we brought him home. I’m really looking for another one that gives me the same feels!!

Names I really love but haven’t felt quite right [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], [name_f]Peach[/name_f], [name_u]Hero[/name_u], [name_u]Jett[/name_u], [name_f]Summer[/name_f], [name_u]Zola[/name_u]. If we get a red tri or red merle girl it will be something related to red- [name_f]Cherry[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] or [name_f]Meilin[/name_f] (from [name_f]Disney[/name_f] Turning Red)

Hoping for some ideas !! Thanks :blush:

3 Likes

estelle, marin and castor came to mind!

[name_f]Ondine[/name_f] (little wave)
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] (the moon in space controls the tides in the ocean)
[name_u]Reed[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u] (sky theme and red theme in one)

1 Like

Neptune seems perfect for you because it’s the Roman god of the sea and a planet!

Phoenix is another option. It means dark red and it has connections to the stars with a constellation, galaxy cluster and galaxy named Phoenix. You could even link it to the ocean with several ships named Phoenix (Phoenix - Wikipedia).

It might be too associated with the actor but what about Radcliffe? It’s meaning, red clifff, refers to the color red and the sea. The astronomical connection for this name is the Radcliffe wave.

Nemo could also be fun. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Finding Nemo connect it to the sea. The star connection is more of a stretch but if you want it to be there it can be found: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/publications-of-the-astronomical-society-of-australia/article/neutron-star-extreme-matter-observatory-a-kilohertzband-gravitationalwave-detector-in-the-global-network/B3C307959DB517A83CEEA867207C63D6.

Cetus: the name of a constellation and it means whale.

Hydra: the name of a constellation and it means water-serpent.

Vela: a constellation and it means the sails of a ship

Pisces: again, a constellation and it means fishes.

Ran/Rán: the name of a star and the Norse goddess of the sea.

1 Like

I like [name_f]Moon[/name_f] or [name_f]Luna[/name_f] (or Lunar) as someone else mentioned since the moon controls the tides on earth, so it combines both parents’ names.
[name_f]My[/name_f] other thought was something having to do with starfish (stars in the ocean, combining both parents again). So I googled starfish and found that Astroidea is the scientific name for starfish, which could be a cool name. And I found specific types of starfish called [name_f]Asterina[/name_f], Neoferdina (maybe [name_u]Neo[/name_u] or [name_f]Dina[/name_f] for short?)

1 Like

[name_f]Astra[/name_f]- From the stars
[name_f]Estrella[/name_f]- [name_f]Star[/name_f]
[name_u]Hoku[/name_u]- [name_f]Star[/name_f] in Hawaiian
[name_u]Seren[/name_u]- [name_f]Star[/name_f] in Welsh
[name_u]Dylan[/name_u]- [name_m]Son[/name_m] of the sea
[name_u]Firth[/name_u]- Arm of the sea
[name_m]Fischer[/name_m]- Fisherman
[name_f]Iluka[/name_f]- By the sea (And is an Australian name)
[name_f]Maree[/name_f]- [name_f]Star[/name_f] of the sea (Both with star & sea!)
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]- Of the sea.

Btw, I really like [name_f]Peach[/name_f]! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Xx

1 Like

[name_m]Astro[/name_m] feels energetic and lively to me (because of [name_m]Astro[/name_m] Boy most likely!) and [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] or [name_m]Cosmos[/name_m] could also work.

Right! [name_m]Astro[/name_m] is the best name for an Aussie, it feels so right. Someone else from the breeder has an [name_m]Astro[/name_m] so I feel a bit like copying if I use it, which is probably silly.
I feel like [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] is such a good alternative. It has that same peppy feel. Thanks! I doubt I’m getting a boy, hmmm maybe could even use for a girl tho

Okay TONS of fantastic name choices from everyone. Thanks so much. You guys did not disappoint. I feel like I have a lot of cool options to pick from now.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] guinea pigs are [name_m]Cosmos[/name_m] (g), [name_f]Stella[/name_f] & [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] space names!

Mix of space & sea related ideas…
[name_u]Vega[/name_u]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_u]Nova[/name_u]
[name_f]Ula[/name_f] - love the meaning “gem of the sea”
[name_f]Maris[/name_f]
[name_f]Hester[/name_f]
[name_u]Leo[/name_u]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]
[name_u]Sol[/name_u]
[name_u]Nori[/name_u]
[name_u]Merlin[/name_u]