Names that you like but would never tell your parents,

My mom likes sorta comman names as you can see she named me [name]Sophie[/name]. I love the name [name]Bluebelle[/name] for a girl but it would worry my mom to much that she could have a bluebelle for a grand daughter. I bet you some of these storys could get pretty interesting, like your parents hate thier neighbors the Millers but you can’t hold back you love for this name.
Tell me your stories and your favorite names.

I like messing with my mom because she ALWAYS has an opinion on every name I put out there. We were originally thinking [name]Riley[/name] for our daughter, and she loved it. Eventually [name]Riley[/name] came off the list, but she is still saying she likes [name]Riley[/name]. And everything else she has a negative opinion for. So I came across the name [name]Seneca[/name], and even though my husband didn’t like, I just had to mess with my mom for a little while. We told her we were naming the baby [name]Seneca[/name].
Also, we are most likely going to give our daughter the middle name of [name]James[/name] (after my husband’s brother who unexpectedly passed away), and my mom absolutely loaths this idea! I’m loving that she’s loathing it! lol

I wouldn’t worry too much. It is part of a mum’s “job” to worry and disapprove of things sometimes. If you have a baby [name]Bluebell[/name], guaranteed your Mum will love her whatever. And depending on your mum’s taste in other things, her disapproval of your names can be a good thing!!! (when my dear Mum, 88, says she loves my hair, I know I am in trouble. ha ha)

xxx

For my future children…

I like more classic names, but I’m still thinking my mother won’t like them. I love [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name], and I know my mom would likely be okay with [name]Charlotte[/name] because I named my favorite doll this when I was little, but I don’t know about [name]Lydia[/name]. Two other names I love for girls that I don’t know if she’d care for are [name]Arabella[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name]. I fear she may think these are too out-there or feminine, even though I don’t think they are…

For boys, I like surname names in addition to classics like [name]Henry[/name]. There are tons of [name]James[/name]’ in my family, and I like the name, but I think my mom would think it was odd for me to use the name [name]James[/name] (name of my dad, my paternal g-pa, my biological maternal g-pa who left my mom at 3, my uncle, and middle name of my cousin). As for surname names I like, I really love [name]Lennox[/name] and [name]Austen[/name], but I don’t think she’d like them…on a baby.

Actually, as a sort of side-note to this surname-name story, when I asked my mom to get another puppy two years ago, I was hard-set on naming him. My mom had named all of our other dogs up until that point (the only still living one she named [name]Cooper[/name] - I just thought it was plain), and I felt like I had the perfect name that would match the dog’s kennel name. Anyway, when we got him, nobody would attach to my name and I was the only one who called him it, but eventually, when nobody could come up with anything better, it stuck. His name is [name]Findlay[/name], named after a market in our city (it flows with his kennel name). I recently told her I’d thought of the perfect name for our next dog (who we aren’t getting) - [name]Archer[/name] (named for the [name]St[/name]. [name]Louis[/name] [name]Arch[/name]). She actually liked it! I was amazed… Maybe she is coming around after all… SORRY FOR THIS SIDE NOTE!

My mom has some nasty opinions about some names. When my nephew was born, my mother was there with my brother doing everything in her power to keep him from using the name he and his wife picked, and she sort of “won” - it’s in the middle. His first name is more normal, not her favorite, but ok.

His big sister’s name is also just awful to my mother. Not horrible, awful, just slightly yooneek in that it’s actually a name from my sister-in-law’s ethnicity, and not yooneek at all. It’s probably well-chosen because it fits in the US (and her last name) and is close to another popular name, which she might actually have to go through having people pronounce it slightly different than it sounds, or spell it wrong. I mean, come on. Lighten up. Her middle name was also offensive in that a lot of old people think it’s a cowboy name, but a lot of younger people recognize that it’s a song, or at least common enough used on girls in the last 3 decades.

My sister chose for her first (only, so far) son, a name my mother also dislikes. She thinks people will call him this awful “girly” nickname, and she herself pronounces this name wrong - on purpose. She knows how to say it, she just “reads” it and that’s how she says it, putting stress on the wrong syllable. A lot of people here tend to love this name, in fact. My mom’s just out of step. I don’t share names of my relatives for the most part out of privacy. I’m not keeping you from stealing them, but I’m also not letting them up for discussion. I know you would all like the names and have talked about them in other threads.

If you think I’m ever too critical, I did get this from her. I try not to be so — well, I doubt other than that time with the first nephew that she’s as coarse as she is in private with me. She knows she has a person she can vent her extreme dislikes because she must, and they’re not my kids. Since she’s over-reacting, I do argue with her. I’m just glad they didn’t take names I liked too much and might have used for the most part!

She loves a lot of “modern” dashing names, though, in fact. Names I think are kind of like characters in a book and not “real” enough for a person. They sound strong and handsome to me, some of them, but I am choosy. She also hates boys names on girls, specifically [name]Bailey[/name] and [name]Mackenzie[/name] - I think [name]Finley[/name] would just enrage her so, if she ever heard of one - that’s not really my style either (although I think it’s great that other people do, if that’s their wish). In thinking how I like to analyze names a lot, I wouldn’t want people to think I was being catty like my mom is. I don’t intend to be.

I think at this point, my mother would be happy if I had any children at all. She never brings it up or makes me feel inadequate, which is to say, I can tell what she’s thinking, because I know how she talks about other people to me. However, I don’t like a lot of names she would probably be horrified about. I like [name]Mabel[/name], she would probably hate that. I love a form of her name - and she hates that. My grandmother’s name - she hates it. I so want to use my grandmother’s name, or some form of it. She has distinctly opinionated opinions about “copying” someone else’s name, so in general, family is off limits. [name]Don[/name]'t even get me started what heresy would be committed to use a name from my father’s side of the family over hers if I was thinking in that scheme.

I probably wouldn’t pick the names she loves the most, but I think my personal style would not offend her, at least. She’d think they had a pretty good name.

[name]Karen[/name], you just crack me up. You should be a journalist! or novelist! I never get the feeling that you are too critical and everything you say is well-thought-out and relevant.

My mother is very judgmental of names and all other kids of things as well, and I am afraid I have to be very harsh with her and whenever she starts on about “Oh, [name]Phoebe[/name] is a terrible name!” (for example), I say “Well, at least it is better than [name]JOYCE[/name]!” (which is her name and my middle one, for anyone who has not heard this story a million times before). That shuts her up.

My Grandmother (long dead now) was ultra critical of names too. When my auntie married my uncle [name]Francis[/name], Grandma refused to acknowledge this “sissy” name, and for several years called him “[name]DAVID[/name]” (his middle name) until she got worn out trying.

You just have to be firm and not get brow-beaten by us oldies!

xxxx

Names like [name]Viola[/name], [name]Hyacinth[/name] and [name]Myrtle[/name]. My mom hates these names and I think they are just fine.

[name]Mercury[/name]. i shudder to think what my mom would say to that. but she can stuff it, because that is exactly what i am going to name my daughter.

Great topic, I wouldn’t tell parents any names that I like I would have to keep them to myself. Its horrible when you love a name and someone turns you against it because they know some horrible person with the same name or it reminds them of something. My mother is convinced that the name [name]Lucas[/name] means mucas, eww! ATM I love the names [name]Samuel[/name], [name]Rowan[/name], and [name]Donovan[/name] for a boy I know she wouldn’t approve of [name]Donovan[/name] and prob [name]Rowan[/name] too. Sometimes your best off keeping names to yourself , that way when baby is born they are introduced by their name whether it is [name]Lucas[/name] or mucas or whatever your choice and all they can do is shut up and put up:)

[name]Barnaby[/name]. Can’t tell my mom, can’t tell anyone. I have–but they all laugh. It is the craziest feeling to love a name that elicits nothing but skeptical laughter from people. I guess that’s why people get pets.

I’m 18, so no kids yet…but a gazillion names!

I’ve mentioned a few names to my mom that she just totally disagrees with. For a very long while, [name]Ethan[/name] was my very favorite boy’s name. Mom hated it! I was so rattled and ended up naming a character’s son that. Now, my favorite, that I am DETERMINED to keep for my first son-- [name]Henry[/name]. I love it to pieces, but Mom? “That’s a GIRL’S name!” She thinks it’s a nickname-only, for [name]Henrietta[/name]. I think she’s nuts, and she’s just going to have to get used to it! I’m afraid of mentioning [name]Noah[/name] to her =) or any of my middle names!

For girls…She hates my all-time favorite-- [name]Emma[/name]. [name]Emma[/name] is [name]Ethan[/name]'s mom in my books, and I adore it. She says it’s a weak name, to which I always point out that one of its meanings is “strong.” Once I mentioned [name]Esme[/name]. She said my child would think I hated her. I’m pretty sure she hates [name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name], too. I won’t even mention [name]Cordelia[/name] or [name]Rowena[/name]! (yikes!!)

believe it or not when i told my mom thats what i wanted to name my daughter she laughed cuz i was like 8 she said it was a faze and here we are 13 yrs later and my daughter is named exactly that [name]Mercury[/name] it wasnt my parents that didnt like it it was my grandma that wanted me to change it

I like the name [name]Archer[/name] for a boy actually. I like the name [name]Archie[/name], but i like to have full, proper names and then nicknames (i have twins [name]Oscar[/name] ([name]Oz[/name]) and [name]Fintan[/name] ([name]Finn[/name]) already. So what would i call [name]Archie[/name]? Dont like [name]Archibald[/name] so came up with [name]Archer[/name] - but sadly it is too similar sounding to [name]Oscar[/name] - nevermind!

With regards to Mums liking names. I think that she likes my boys names, i never discussed these names with her before they were born because we had wanted to call them [name]Nathaniel[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] and got a lot of disapproving looks, inc from my mum, which sadly put us off the names. We are definitely going to be braver with our next child names (particularly liking [name]Atticus[/name] and [name]Teddy[/name] for boys and [name]Coralie[/name], [name]Elliot[/name] for girls) and i’m really not bothered what other people think of the names we chose xx

My name is [name]Emma[/name] and i’m not too keen on it, because its so popular - so clearly a lot of people think differently to your Mum. [name]Esme[/name] is becoming very popular here too ([name]North[/name] [name]West[/name] [name]England[/name]!) I kinda think that when it comes to parents, they’ve had their turn in naming their children, when it comes to your children its your turn and go with what you and your husband want!!