Names VS Titles

Hello again my fellow writerberries! (Is that what we’re called?) I have another question for you all. :nerd_face:

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you enjoy giving your stories titles as much as you do naming its characters? Is it easier or harder in comparison? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you put more or less thought into it? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think you’re better at one vs the other? Etc, any other thoughts you have on the matter.

I prefer choosing character names much, much more. With names, I already have plenty to choose from, and it is much easier to research if I get stuck. You can draw from reading, the Internet, people’s names, and your knowledge of names in general to choose names. Names also don’t have to be completely unique and relevant; they just have to be fitting. I also just like naming characters. [name_u]Story[/name_u] titles are harder, because not only do you have to watch for genre, plagiarism, and find one with a nice flow, it also has to be meaningful for your story at large and be what you call that writing. Names on people are easier projects and aren’t the face of your whole story. I’ll freely admit I am terrible at thinking of titles. It’s far to easy to make it pretentious, silly, or just plain wrong for the story.

2 Likes

Noooooooooooooooooooooo way.

I HATE coming up with titles, with a burning passion. It is probably one of my least favorite parts of writing. It’s to the point where, if I come up with a title I like, I typically keep it no matter how much the story changes through drafts because I hate coming up with titles. There’s just so much to consider and, maybe it’s just because of the genre I tend to write in, but I find my title ideas to be cheesy and/or cliche most of the time!

1 Like

Titles are so much harder than names for me.
I’ll come up with a title I like and then find out it’s the name of a google font or some obscure book or a lip balm brand. Well, those are the more random occurrences. I completely agree with @SparkleNinja18; so many titles are just cheesy and cliche!

1 Like

Naming is super fun, and I honestly can not title for my life

1 Like

actually you don’t have to watch for plagiarism…I just discovered that!

Thanks for letting me know! There are quite a few books that share titles, but I still prefer to not use the same title as another book…

1 Like

same, just wanted to inform you!

1 Like

I love coming up with titles, but usually the title of my story are the last words I write. I tend to save the title for last, and often times, the title comes from a phrase, or a sentence, or a piece of dialog from my story itself. Of course there are lots of times when I don’t follow that convention, but mostly I do.

Titles are definitely harder.

With character names, I can usually come up with something spontaneously. Sometimes I need to change it later, but that’s more because they don’t work together than because they don’t fit the characters. (“oh, you’re such an [name_f]Olive[/name_f]!” Later: “You are an [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]!” Much later: “Cousins [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]!? No, better not.”)

But titles… maybe it’s so hard because a title could be anything, a name, a concept, a description of the story, anything. I just don’t know where to start.
When I first started writing what would later become my first NaNoWriMo Project, it was (seriously) called “The uncommon story of [full name of MC 1] and [full name of MC 2]”. It took forever until I came up with “No love, but XOXO”.
The NaNo after that just had the protagonists’ last name as a working title.
For shortstories I’ve gone with dialogue parts (“Smarter Than Most”) and a concept (“Longevity”) in that case because it’s one of those stories where it can be hard to figure out what’s going, so the title is giving a hint.

2 Likes