Names with Dark or Creepy Meanings

I have a really cool idea for a fantasy tpe story that will be set modern day and in the us somewhere. It will have different creatures in it (i.e. mermaids, ghosts, vampires, etc…) and I was hoping to get some names that have dark or creepy meanings.
Also, if you have any names from around the 1600 - 1900’s type eras, I would love to hear them (for the ghosts). My vision for these names was something long and unusual (i.e. [name]Victoria[/name]) but that it would have a dark meaning (i.e. unhappy, or unlucky)
I would love to here your ideas and suggestions! Thank you in advance :smiley:

Erebus: Latin form of Greek Erebos, meaning “darkness.”

Gethen: Variant spelling of Welsh Gethin, meaning “dark”.

[name]Maura[/name]: Feminine form of Italian [name]Mauro[/name], meaning “dark”

Nerezza: Italian name derived from the word nerezza meaning “darkness”.

[name]Aeron[/name]: Welsh unisex form of Celtic Agrona, the name a goddess of war and death who was portrayed as a masculine figure in Welsh mythology, meaning “carnage, slaughter.”

[name]Thana[/name]: Feminine form of Greek Thanatos, meaning “death.”

[name]Valdis[/name]: Old Norse name composed of the elements valr “the dead, the slain” and dís “goddess, woman,” hence “goddess of the slain in battle.”

Akeldama: Greek form of Aramaic ħqêl dmâ, meaning “field of blood”.

Corentine: Feminine form of [name]Breton[/name] [name]Corentin[/name], probably meaning “hurricane, tempest.”

[name]Mallory[/name]: Which means “unfortunate”.

Malvolia: Feminine form of Italian Malvolio, meaning “ill-will.”

Apollyon: Greek name meaning “destroyer.”

[name]Desdemona[/name]: Literary name derived from the Greek word dysdaimon, meaning “ill-starred.”

Aglæca: Old English, “wretch, miscreant”

[name]Alvah[/name]: Hebrew name meaning “evil, iniquity.”

Cerberus: Latin form of Greek Kerberos, meaning “demon of the pit.”

[name]Lilith[/name]: Hebrew form of Sumerian Lilitu, meaning “of the night.”

Here’s a pretty cool list of ‘evil’ baby names! http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/~joanna/misc.html

Eh, but [name]Vega[/name] means the swooping eagle, not falling star.

[name]Mallory[/name] is a unisex name meaning misfortunate. I forget where it comes from, probably [name]England[/name] or somewhere though. It would be quite ironic for someone who is quite lucky.

[name]Seth[/name] is another version of [name]Set[/name], which is the Egyptian God of war and strife.

Whilmeania like mean

I like the name [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f], which means “The Dark One.”

[name_f]Shivani[/name_f] and [name_f]Thana[/name_f] both mean death, which is creepy by itself! You could also go with [name_f]Layla[/name_f]/[name_f]Laila[/name_f]/[name_f]Lila[/name_f], all of which mean night, or the especially creepy Ranjani, meaning ‘night’, or ‘of the dark’.

The perenially creepy and demonic associations of [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] would make it an exceptional choice for creepy names, too, and probably at the top of my list. Also, by association, [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] could be a fitting choice!

As for boy’s names, [name_m]Manu[/name_m] is a good one (bird of the night), but [name_u]Corbin[/name_u] (meaning crow), or [name_m]Orev[/name_m] (raven) could be equally sinister choices. [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] (black water) could also be a good one.

Best of luck with your writing!

it means “evil one” in sanskrit

[name_u]Mal[/name_u] means bad and the whole name [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] means devotee of of [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] or something like that.

Azazel, literally means “scapegoat” in Hebrew.
Lilith comes from the word lilitu which means “of the night”.
Alvah means “evil” or “immoral”.
Adrienne means “the dark one”.
Mara means “nightmare” in Swedish and “death” in Sanskrit.
Raven means “thievery”.
Thana means “death” in Greek mythology.
Mallory means “unfortunate” or “luckless” in French.
Leviathan also has a meaning of “twisted and coiled”.