Names with nn Sonny

We love the name [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] but want to think of a more official name for when he grows up. The issue is all of the typical “son” names sound off with our last name since it ends in “ron”

Any ideas? We’re also not into [name_m]Solomon[/name_m].

2 Likes

Technically anyone’s son could have the nickname [name_u]Sonny[/name_u], so if you want to go at it from that angle, that makes your job easy, but some names that might whittle down to [name_u]Sonny[/name_u]:

Sunrise
[name_m]Sonder[/name_m]
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]
[name_u]Southern[/name_u]
[name_u]South[/name_u]
[name_u]Austin[/name_u]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m]
[name_u]Sunbeam[/name_u]
And then because [name_u]Sunbeam[/name_u] and [name_u]Sunrise[/name_u] might be a lot of name, could you get to [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] from [name_u]Ray[/name_u]? [name_u]Ray[/name_u] of [name_f]Sunshine[/name_f]? [name_u]Sunny[/name_u]? [name_u]Sonny[/name_u]? Idk about that one, I was proud of it when I started the sentence though lol

2 Likes

Sonny Corleone from the Godfather is [name_m]Santino[/name_m]…maybe something along those lines. [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_m]Santiago[/name_m]? I don’t know what your ethnic background is so you might not find those a good fit but it’s a thought.

1 Like

I really like these ideas! I did some more digging because I was stumped, so I’ll add to the pile (not taking any style or ethnicity into account, just getting to [name_u]Sonny[/name_u], so you can sort through the suggestions accordingly)

[name_m]Dionysius[/name_m]
[name_m]Fergus[/name_m]
[name_m]Sancho[/name_m]
[name_m]Isandro[/name_m]
[name_m]Hassan[/name_m]
[name_m]Sandro[/name_m]
[name_m]Sandros[/name_m]
[name_m]Alessandro[/name_m]

I also think “my name is [name_m]Charles[/name_m] but I’m called [name_u]Sonny[/name_u]” would work for this nickname

I don’t have any more suggestions but just to say that [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] is quite popular as a full name here in the UK & I’ve known a few [name_u]Sonny[/name_u]’s of different ages and never thought of it as informal or nicknamey particularly. I think a man called [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] sounds fine. Obviously it’s your preference and if you want to use a more formal name that’s fine I just thought I’d offer my perspective on it! I like the suggestion of [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u].

1 Like

It depends on your accent if this really works but something with the San or [name_f]Sen[/name_f] sound in it might lend itself well, if not the most intuitive of nicknames.

Alexander
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]

1 Like

Sinclair?

Along the same lines as Mc names, there’s anything starting with [name_m]Fitz[/name_m] …

Fitzgerald
[name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m]
[name_m]Fitzhugh[/name_m]
[name_m]Fitzpatrick[/name_m]
etc

Sunny…

– [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is the most common and first option that comes to mind.

– [name_u]Sander[/name_u] / [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
– [name_m]Sumner[/name_m]

1 Like

Seconding [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] and [name_m]Soren[/name_m] as a suggestions

Stellan, [name_m]Weston[/name_m], [name_m]Desmond[/name_m], [name_u]Stanley[/name_u]

1 Like

Maybe [name_m]Simon[/name_m]? But I guess it doesn’t work that well with your surname.

Simeon is the only name I haven’t seen suggested yet. However [name_u]Sonny[/name_u]/Sunny feels more like a pet name to me than a specifically a nickname for a name.

Orson
[name_m]Harrison[/name_m]
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m]

Sonnet

Unsure if it’s been mentioned, but [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] is a junior nickname. You could give him your or your partners full name, and get to [name_u]Sonny[/name_u].
Teyana [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] & [name_u]Iman[/name_u] Shumpert did this with their daughter [name_u]Iman[/name_u] [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. nn [name_f]Junie[/name_f], and I love it.

Soren popped into my head. [name_m]Helios[/name_m] as well, since [name_m]Helios[/name_m]/Helio is the Greek personification of the sun, perhaps [name_u]Sonny[/name_u]/Sunny could be a nickname?

Other names relating to the sun:
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]: sun in Persian
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m]: Greek god of the sun
[name_u]Blaze[/name_u]
[name_m]Elio[/name_m]: means sunny and spirited
[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]
[name_u]Kiran[/name_u]: means sunbeam
[name_m]Taner[/name_m]: means born at sunrise

Here are some out-of-the-box ones:
Solanus
Sonnen
[name_u]Sondre[/name_u]
[name_m]Socrates[/name_m]
[name_m]Sohan[/name_m]
[name_m]Sorell[/name_m]
Solan

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Anything ending with -son — [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], [name_u]Jameson[/name_u], etc. etc. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Anderson
[name_m]Benson[/name_m]
[name_m]Bronson[/name_m]
[name_m]Bryson[/name_m]
[name_u]Carson[/name_u]
[name_m]Cason[/name_m]
[name_m]Dawson[/name_m]
[name_m]Dennison[/name_m]
[name_u]Emerson[/name_u]
[name_m]Everson[/name_m]
[name_u]Ellison[/name_u]