Names you don't have the guts to use...yet (Boys Edition)

There are names that I absolutely love but am afraid to use for various reasons. My main fear with a very unusual name is that it will crop up on The [name]Bachelor[/name] or be the name chosen by [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Simpson[/name] for her next baby. And being an unusual name, it would be forever associated with that person. In any case, here’s my list.

[name]Aldous[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name]
[name]Horatio[/name]
[name]Ozias[/name]
[name]Viggo[/name]

Anyone else have a list they’d like to share?

With [name]Ozias[/name] and [name]Cassius[/name], I think you’re safe. :slight_smile: [name]Ozias[/name] is fairly obscure (with [name]Elias[/name] and [name]Tobias[/name] on the up, though…you never know) and [name]Cassius[/name] will always make me think of [name]Julius[/name] [name]Caesar[/name] before any celebrity baby, no matter how high-profile they may be. [name]Viggo[/name] is an awesome name that I would have no fear using; I already forgot which star-baby bears this name, lol, and definitely think of actor Mortensen before anything else. (NOT a negative association, btw. It’s like “[name]Audrey[/name]” with [name]Audrey[/name] Hepburn or “[name]Theda[/name]” with [name]Theda[/name] [name]Bara[/name]. Only good feelings!)

[name]Tobey[/name] Macguire’s son is named [name]Otis[/name], which is a name I like. I would still use it, though- there are celebs who keep their kids out of the spotlight, which is good, and so while someone on the street wouldn’t necessarily associate my (hypothetical) son [name]Otis[/name] with Mr. Macguire, they’ll definitely associate a little [name]Maddox[/name] or [name]Apple[/name] with [name]Jolie[/name] and Paltrow…

I wouldn’t worry about it, though. If you have a [name]Horatio[/name] and then five years down the line some celebrity uses it for their baby, all you can really do is congratulate them on their good taste. :smiley:

[name]Aldous[/name] - I think of [name]Aldous[/name] [name]Huxley[/name], and I think most people would. I don’t really know anything about him, but it’s still a good association. It’s a cool name, I think.
[name]Cassius[/name] - I don’t think there’s anything to fear with this one, other than pronunciation issues.
[name]Horatio[/name] - I’m not a fan, I think of a horse with very big teeth
[name]Ozias[/name] - I love [name]Oz[/name] so much, so I like this!
[name]Viggo[/name] - Yes, I think of the actor and [name]Taylor[/name] [name]Hanson[/name] (I think it was [name]Taylor[/name]), but I think this name would work. It’s also my favorite with [name]Luca[/name]. [name]Luca[/name] and [name]Viggo[/name] would be kickass brothers.

LOL, “a horse with very big teeth!” [name]Love[/name] it. [name]Viggo[/name] recently made the list b/c DH is completely in love with it. He’s a huge LOTR fan and though he would never want to name our kids Samwise or [name]Frodo[/name], I think he would love a son named [name]Viggo[/name] (since he played a character in the movie). But is that [name]Taylor[/name] [name]Hanson[/name] as in the [name]Hanson[/name] brothers? Hmmm. I’ve seen that reference in the [name]Viggo[/name] entry on this site, but didn’t make the connection. But you’re right, [name]Luca[/name] and [name]Viggo[/name] could do some damage together on the playgroud :wink:

ok, i just have to say i [name]LOVE[/name] the pairing of luca and viggo!!!

oh, and for the boy name i don’t have the guts to use:

hawthorne, i love the literary connection and the nn thor!

I love the name [name]Zion[/name] but I’m pretty sure I would break all of our parents’ hearts if we use that name lol

I also really like [name]Everly[/name] and [name]Remy[/name] but am not sure that they are right for a boy…weird as I generally dig gender-neutral names.

Yeah, it’s [name]Taylor[/name] as in the [name]Hanson[/name] brothers… I don’t think anyone who isn’t a huge name nerd would ever know what he named his kids, though. I have been thinking about [name]Luca[/name] and [name]Viggo[/name] and I love it more and more. I’m really hoping that you name your future son [name]Viggo[/name]!

Mine is [name]Angus[/name]. I love it so much, SO much! Ugh! But I’m so afraid of teasing, I think it’s inevitable. It might also be weird for a vegetarian to name her son [name]Angus[/name]… but I [name]LOVE[/name] it!

At the minute, these are the names I don’t have the guts to use:

[name]Leopold[/name]
[name]Fitzwilliam[/name] - (I love the literary connection to [name]Austen[/name])

I love: [name]Remy[/name], [name]Angus[/name], and [name]Leopold[/name]! I think they’re all very usable. But what’s funny is that, at least with the first two, I knew very attractive guys with those names in college. So to me [name]Remy[/name] is my sexy Italian teacher from freshman year and [name]Angus[/name] is a handsome lacrosse player :slight_smile:

I’ve been mulling over [name]Viggo[/name], thinking that it’s really growing on me, then it hit me: Ghostbusters 2! Wasn’t he the crazy guy in the painting?

[name]Dudley[/name]
[name]Dewey[/name]
[name]Donald[/name]
[name]Elmo[/name]
[name]Grover[/name]
[name]Fisk[/name]
[name]Foy[/name]
Solemn
[name]Solon[/name]
[name]Silvain[/name]
[name]Sylvester[/name]

Especially the first 5 :slight_smile:
And I love and would most definitely use [name]Aldous[/name] like the OP posted… ^^ [name]Aldous[/name] is awesome!

I love [name]Indigo[/name] and [name]Rio[/name]…but really don’t see them being used by me lol

Caractacus
[name]Florian[/name]
[name]Hercules[/name]
[name]Winthrop[/name]
[name]Ludwig[/name]

I found this thread linked to a name I was looking up. Interesting discussion, so I’m posting to bump it up and hopefully get some more comments!

I love the name [name]Angus[/name]. There is just too much teasing potential though for me to ever use it and it sounds terrible with my last name.

Finnick - Theoretically, I would love to have a son with the MN Finnick. Realistically, IDK if I’ll ever do it (or even if my future SO would even be on board with having a son named this.)
[name]Otis[/name] - It’s been on my GP list ever since I saw the cutest baby boy named this, but I’m not sure just any kid could pull this name off.
[name]Nigel[/name]/[name]Niles[/name] - A couple more GP’s. Perhaps a bit too pretentious on an American kid with (presumably) no ties to the U.K.

I have a lot of random boys names that I love for absolutely no reason at all.

[name]Romeo[/name] - For obvious reasons, I wouldn’t name my son [name]Romeo[/name]. [name]Even[/name] today where name teasing isn’t as prevalent as it used to be, I just can’t see a [name]Romeo[/name] going through life unscathed. It will always be my top guilty pleasure though :slight_smile:

[name]Roscoe[/name] - I just can’t picture this one on an actual child. It looks and sounds great on paper, but I just can’t imagine a little [name]Roscoe[/name].

[name]Fox[/name] - It kind of reminds me of the brand, and I think of a really cool kid having the name [name]Fox[/name]. But, alas, there are husbands to think about… This one got shot down promptly to my dismay.

[name]Enzo[/name] - I might’ve actually used [name]Enzo[/name], possibly short for [name]Lorenzo[/name], if I was Italian. I may still use it, but I can never really make up my mind. I have issues creating sibsets using [name]Enzo[/name] as well.

[name]Harvey[/name] - [name]Love[/name], love, love [name]Harvey[/name] and all of his quirky charm. With [name]Harvey[/name] though I think it’s very hit or miss… it can be super cute or super geeky and I don’t want to risk it.

[name]Jeter[/name] and [name]Beckham[/name] - I love both of these, but I would have trouble with the world thinking I named my children after sports stars.

[name]Landry[/name] - [name]Landry[/name] is love/hate for me. One day I’ll really love it, but then the next I’ll think it sounds like laundry.

[name]Obadiah[/name]-[name]Love[/name] this one the most but the nn’s [name]Obie[/name] or [name]Odie[/name] are untenable.
[name]Nehemiah[/name]
[name]Hezekiah[/name]
[name]Horatio[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]-Nowadays much more viable for a girl
[name]Lorcan[/name]
[name]Zev[/name]-Probably the name on my list with the best shot at wider use with its similarity to [name]Zane[/name], [name]Zac[/name], [name]Zeke[/name] etc.
[name]Sumner[/name]
[name]Abner[/name]
[name]Asa[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Rupert[/name]
[name]Barnabas[/name]

There are a lot of names I wouldn’t have the guts to use…most of the names on nameberry are a little too lofty for real life…like [name]Oberon[/name] [name]Fitzwilliam[/name] Galadrial yikes…not really realistic…

Sometimes you just have be brave though…

Beautiful, gutsy names can suit your child more than you ever imaged.

My firstborn son is Zepheniah and there is no other name that would suit him better. Plus, the nn’s suit his moods and certain situations so well (i.e. Zeph, [name]Ziggy[/name], [name]Zed[/name], Z, etc…).

And my newborn son [name]Hezekiah[/name] wears his name just as well as his brother.

It can be daunting, and you have to prepare your heart for the occasional less than enthusiastic response (especially given that you have to really love the gutsy name to use it in naming your child). In the end though the brave name choice is well worth it because of how wonderfully it can fit your child.

As a safety net, a very “norm” mn may assuage any anxiety of not fitting in that may crop up in grade school and beyond.

Nice name choices Joel613