Names you liked when you were younger...

I adore [name]Richard[/name] Farnsworth. I loved him in The Natural, too. There was one post (where I stole a bunch of my new boy names) that used ([name]Robert[/name]) [name]Redford[/name] as a name. It warmed my heart. sigh

I love [name]Katharine[/name] Hepburn, but I think that she would have been all wrong for [name]Marilla[/name] [name]Cuthbert[/name]. [name]Colleen[/name] reminds me of my grandma in looks and manner, and makes a perfect [name]Marilla[/name]. Did you know that [name]Anne[/name] named one of her daughters [name]Marilla[/name] and called her [name]Rilla[/name]? Very cute. My husband is originally from [name]PEI[/name] and would be rolling his eyes and shaking his head if he knew I was having this conversation. lol.

I wasn’t neccessarily ranking them higher… but I am considering all possibilities. I love [name]Adelaide[/name] and [name]Matilda[/name] and think they go great together, but thought that [name]Annelise[/name] and [name]Emmeline[/name] were perfect for each other too! I can see us going with either of those, or a million other possibilities! As you can see, my tastes are all over the place. If the moon were just right when the girls are born, I may end up with a [name]Willow[/name] and [name]Arbor[/name] (jk… kind of). My husband has decided that he just wants veto power at this point and usually he only vetoes when its a name that he knew someone he didn’t like. Its safe to say he doesn’t know any [name]Adelaide[/name]'s, [name]Matilda[/name]'s, [name]Annelise[/name]'s, [name]Emmeline[/name]'s etc, etc…

I took a bit of a chance when I named [name]Dorothy[/name]. It is a family name, so one/fourth of our family understood why I would use it and the rest I could tell were being polite. [name]Even[/name] my mother was a little unsure. My sister liked very traditional names, but even now she is getting a little more adventurous in her girl names (she has one boy). My friends were split. The ones with Kinleys, Addisons, Baileys and Braydons probably think its horrid (I could tell by their silence), but most of my college friends seem to like her name and weren’t too shocked that I used [name]Dorothy[/name]. People seem to react well to her nn, but then [name]Dottie[/name] is very spunky, so I think eventually, most of their perceptions of the name were changed once they got to know her. Now, she is just a “[name]Dottie[/name].” Definitely the only one in her preschool class. I think now that she is skipping around the place, people started thinking her name as cuter.

Thanks for telling me about the reactions to [name]Dorothy[/name]'s name. :slight_smile: I would have given you a big round of applause upon hearing your choice. :slight_smile: [name]Every[/name] [name]Dorothy[/name] I’ve ever known, either in real life or fictionally ([name]Dorothy[/name] in [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] or on The [name]Golden[/name] Girls) has been spunky and bright. :slight_smile:

Your husband is from [name]PEI[/name]?! Wow! :slight_smile: He must be so tired of anything related to [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables. I think it would have been wonderful to grow up there! In the movies, I love watching the changing seasons…so beautiful! :slight_smile:

I read the [name]Anne[/name] books when I was little, and I think she also had children named [name]Joy[/name] (I think she died), something with [name]Matthew[/name] in the middle, and twins named [name]Anne[/name] (“[name]Nan[/name]”) and [name]Diana[/name]. I know I’m missing someone here.

Didn’t she name one of her daughters [name]Bertha[/name]?

Rambling here, but I think that [name]Colleen[/name] Dewhurst was perfect as [name]Marilla[/name], too.

Oh! I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Robert[/name] [name]Redford[/name]! :slight_smile: Someone named their baby [name]Redford[/name]? Weren’t [name]Redford[/name] and [name]Richard[/name] Farnsworth both in The Natural?

I’m really glad you’re doing well!

(I’m half asleep with my left eye about 70% closed, so this post may not have made a lot of sense!)

Thanks for telling me about the reactions to [name]Dorothy[/name]'s name. :slight_smile: I would have given you a big round of applause upon hearing your choice. :slight_smile: [name]Every[/name] [name]Dorothy[/name] I’ve ever known, either in real life or fictionally ([name]Dorothy[/name] in [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] or on The [name]Golden[/name] Girls) has been spunky and bright. :slight_smile:

Your husband is from [name]PEI[/name]?! Wow! :slight_smile: He must be so tired of anything related to [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables. I think it would have been wonderful to grow up there! In the movies, I love watching the changing seasons…so beautiful! :slight_smile:

I read the [name]Anne[/name] books when I was little, and I think she also had children named [name]Joy[/name] (I think she died), something with [name]Matthew[/name] in the middle, and twins named [name]Anne[/name] (“[name]Nan[/name]”) and [name]Diana[/name]. I know I’m missing someone here.

Didn’t she name one of her daughters [name]Bertha[/name]?

Rambling here, but I think that [name]Colleen[/name] Dewhurst was perfect as [name]Marilla[/name], too.

Oh! I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Robert[/name] [name]Redford[/name]! :slight_smile: Someone named their baby [name]Redford[/name]? Weren’t [name]Redford[/name] and [name]Richard[/name] Farnsworth both in The Natural?

I’m really glad you’re doing well!

(I’m half asleep with my left eye about 70% closed, so this post may not have made a lot of sense!)[/quote]
Thanks! Yes, she fits the spunky and bright little chatter box persona. And yet, is my sweet little [name]Violet[/name] too :slight_smile:

Yes, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]PEI[/name], too! It is absolutely beautiful! Not my favorite in February, but gorgeous in the other seasons. We try to visit a couple of times a year. His family live close to the water, so you can imagine how thrilled I was the first time I visited. Yes, they all like to act like they don’t understand everyone’s fascination with [name]Anne[/name]. But then its nuts how many tourists go there to see “[name]Green[/name] gables”… it would get tiring.

Without looking it up, I think she named them [name]Walter[/name], [name]Shirley[/name] (may have been a boy??), [name]Jim[/name]/[name]Jem[/name], [name]Diana[/name], [name]Nan[/name] and [name]Rilla[/name] I think. Was there a [name]Bertha[/name]?

Yes, [name]Redford[/name] and Farnsworth were in the Natural. Farnsworth was “[name]Red[/name]” I think and was a coach.

I’m not sure if they named their baby [name]Redford[/name] or not… it was that post “Offbeat names for my son” and it was mentioned as a name she liked. I thought she had a fabulous list!

I remember having phases for names
When I was very like elementary school I like soft lovely names like [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Leah[/name], [name]Julia[/name]… but I quickly found out how common and oomph-less most of those are, though I still like the sound of them I would never consider them

I still liked pretty sounding girl names but less common ones and I got into color and flower girl names. Never gave to much thought for boys

For a long time I swore My future kids would be [name]Amber[/name], [name]Autumn[/name] and [name]James[/name].
I might consider [name]Autumn[/name], [name]James[/name] is okay and I know hate [name]Amber[/name]

Then I went through a tomboy phase and like unisex name for girls.
I really liked the name [name]Parker[/name], that didn’t really stick but because of that I now like girl names with a bit of spunk.

Through [name]Junior[/name] High and most of High School my favorite girl name was [name]Carmen[/name]

Also in junior High I started consider boys names and loved loved loved the names [name]Damian[/name] and [name]Garrett[/name] (actually I still do), I also liked [name]Jeremiah[/name] a lot, and began liking the idea of strange/funny middle names: [name]Valentine[/name], [name]Wolfgang[/name], [name]Cornelius[/name] and [name]Danger[/name]

The next phase was geek/goth/fantasy/mythology/unique names which is still a large part of my taste but more practically. I also invented names during this period. Most were god awful, but Jasalis was my favorite I guess.

Now my name taste is I guess offbeat but I try not to be to obscure, I like them to have different level where is ugly beautiful for girls and for guys a bit geeky.

My top girl names or mostly old ones that I think a lovely but a bit spunky
[name]Winifred[/name] is my favorite has been fro a long time.
My other favorites are [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Cornelia[/name], [name]Liora[/name], [name]Sloane[/name], [name]Sable[/name], [name]Magdalena[/name], [name]Keziah[/name]
There a handful of unisex/boy names I still like most are very masculine my top three are [name]Dale[/name], [name]Elliott[/name] and Mailo.

I still very much love mythology name and like a lot of color/flower/spice type girly name but I know consider these for middle names: [name]Calliope[/name], [name]Artemis[/name], [name]Psyche[/name], [name]Delilah[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Clover[/name]

My taste in boy name hasn’t changed much but some fell back in ranking.
By boys list is twice as long as my girls and somewhat more varied.
But there all names I consider a cross between cool and dorky and I still like strange middle names
[name]Griffin[/name], [name]Sawyer[/name], [name]Dexter[/name], [name]Blair[/name], [name]Clyde[/name], [name]Leon[/name], [name]Killian[/name] and [name]Casey[/name] are my top right now
The only recent trend in boys is that more and more I’m liking unisex names that lean a bit to the girl side for boys like [name]Blare[/name], [name]Casey[/name], [name]Tracey[/name], [name]Shannon[/name], [name]Jan[/name], [name]Kelly[/name]

Okay…To meet my dork quota for the day, I looked up the names of [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Gilbert[/name]'s children :slight_smile: :

[name]Joyce[/name] ("[name]Joy[/name]"): Died in infancy…
[name]James[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] ("[name]Jem[/name]")
[name]Walter[/name] [name]Cuthbert[/name]: Killed in the war…
[name]Anne[/name] ("[name]Nan[/name]")
[name]Diana[/name] ("[name]Di[/name]")
[name]Bertha[/name] [name]Marilla[/name] ("[name]Rilla[/name]")

In a change of topic, I was thinking that I can totally see [name]Dorothy[/name]/[name]Dottie[/name] and [name]Sally[/name] as siblings, because they’ve both got that spunky feel to me. I love [name]Sally[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] or [name]Sally[/name] [name]Juniper[/name].
:slight_smile:

I love [name]Emmeline[/name] and [name]Anneliese[/name], too. From the middles you love, I really like:

[name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]

[name]Anneliese[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] (not the best flow)

I hope that [name]Dottie[/name] had fun at the game! :slight_smile:

You forgot [name]Shirley[/name]!! [name]Shirley[/name] was a boy, but one of their kids!

I forgot about [name]Joyce[/name].

Here is what I am wondering. She has 7 children. [name]Joyce[/name] isnt named after anyone. [name]Jem[/name] - [name]James[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] is named after [name]Matthew[/name] and [name]Captain[/name] [name]Jim[/name], [name]Walter[/name] [name]Cuthbert[/name] - after her father, [name]Anne[/name] “[name]Nan[/name]” and [name]Diana[/name] “[name]Di[/name]” , after herself and her best friend, [name]Shirley[/name] after her maiden name, and [name]Bertha[/name] [name]Marilla[/name] “[name]Rilla[/name]” named after her two mothers. 7 kids and not ONE of them is named after anyone in [name]Gilbert[/name]'s family!!! Ok, I love [name]Anne[/name] and all, but really??? 7 kids and not one named after anyone on [name]Gilbert[/name]'s side??? And the whole [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Diana[/name] thing… I dont know… even [name]Diana[/name] had an [name]Anne[/name]. [name]Anne[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name]. Poor [name]Gilbert[/name].

I like the name [name]Sally[/name], but the only thing I can think of it being short for is [name]Sarah[/name] or Salamander (jk). Right now I am thinking that I should give them longer names, and have cute nicknames. When I go through the name books, I end up with about 50 - 100 names on there… and then I narrow it down to names that I think might “go” with [name]Dorothy[/name], and then let my husband do his vetoing… and we still have too many. I think that he wants me to narrow it down to maybe 6 sets…

Oh she had a blast!! They are going again next home game. She has a ballcap that she wears to the games and today she was playing dress-up and was actually tottering around the house in a tutu, “heels” and ballcap and told me that this is what she wanted to wear to the game [name]Saturday[/name]! Minus the heels, I’m all for it! lol.

You forgot [name]Shirley[/name]!! [name]Shirley[/name] was a boy, but one of their kids!

I forgot about [name]Joyce[/name].

Here is what I am wondering. She has 7 children. [name]Joyce[/name] isnt named after anyone. [name]Jem[/name] - [name]James[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] is named after [name]Matthew[/name] and [name]Captain[/name] [name]Jim[/name], [name]Walter[/name] [name]Cuthbert[/name] - after her father, [name]Anne[/name] “[name]Nan[/name]” and [name]Diana[/name] “[name]Di[/name]” , after herself and her best friend, [name]Shirley[/name] after her maiden name, and [name]Bertha[/name] [name]Marilla[/name] “[name]Rilla[/name]” named after her two mothers. 7 kids and not ONE of them is named after anyone in [name]Gilbert[/name]'s family!!! Ok, I love [name]Anne[/name] and all, but really??? 7 kids and not one named after anyone on [name]Gilbert[/name]'s side??? And the whole [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Diana[/name] thing… I dont know… even [name]Diana[/name] had an [name]Anne[/name]. [name]Anne[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name]. Poor [name]Gilbert[/name].

I like the name [name]Sally[/name], but the only thing I can think of it being short for is [name]Sarah[/name] or Salamander (jk). Right now I am thinking that I should give them longer names, and have cute nicknames. When I go through the name books, I end up with about 50 - 100 names on there… and then I narrow it down to names that I think might “go” with [name]Dorothy[/name], and then let my husband do his vetoing… and we still have too many. I think that he wants me to narrow it down to maybe 6 sets…

Oh she had a blast!! They are going again next home game. She has a ballcap that she wears to the games and today she was playing dress-up and was actually tottering around the house in a tutu, “heels” and ballcap and told me that this is what she wanted to wear to the game [name]Saturday[/name]! Minus the heels, I’m all for it! lol.[/quote]

[name]How[/name] cute! A tutu and a baseball hat! I love it! :slight_smile:

As for [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Gilbert[/name], I’ve always wondered that, too! (I forgot about [name]Shirley[/name]…Not that he had identity issues with his name or anything.) :slight_smile: It can’t be the excuse that his relatives had awful names, because, uh, [name]Bertha[/name]? I had to giggle when I realized that her full name was [name]Bertha[/name] [name]Blythe[/name].

Wasn’t [name]Gilbert[/name]'s dad named [name]John[/name]? I would think that [name]John[/name] could have been used somewhere! I guess [name]Gilbert[/name] lived in fear of [name]Anne[/name], and thought he was better off not arguing with her about names.

Onto your names…Are [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name] still at the top of you list with [name]Dorothy[/name]? If your list changes, I hope you’ll make a new poll! :slight_smile:

Have a good night!

Oh how fab that [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables had a [name]JOYCE[/name]! (even though she died in infancy). The first positive thing I have read about [name]Joyce[/name] for about fifty years.

xxx

Great topic! I was just thinking about the names I had for my dolls.
[name]Samantha[/name] (I LOVED this name)
[name]Ginger[/name]
[name]Dee[/name] [name]Dee[/name]
[name]Mirella[/name] (great name, actually, although I think my mom influenced this)

I also had a cabbage patch kid, who came with a name (Shireen [name]Moira[/name]). Actually, now that I’ve thought of that, I am wondering about all the other cabbage patch kids. They had really unusual names at the time, but I bet they fit into the current naming trends… I think I’ll have to start a topic!

I used to like the most disgusting girls’ names with full-on “kreativ” spellings. Some of them were . . .

[name]Kymberleigh[/name]
Kaytlynn
Kaymbria (I still like this one, spelled [name]Cambria[/name])

My boys’ names were much better, although they all started with J.

I found a great surprise for me! I knew I had saved a list I called at the time, “Names for Monsters.” I was reminded of this list due to a thread in [name]Baby[/name] Name Games about inventing awful celeb-style names. “Names for Monsters” were those kind of names. I would love to post some of those in a different thread all for fun.

I found in the same notebook 3 separate lists I made in 1990.
6/13/90 (girls list only):
[name]Allison[/name], [name]Amy[/name], [name]Beth[/name], [name]Brooke[/name], [name]Chelsea[/name], [name]Cheryl[/name], [name]Christine[/name], [name]Colette[/name], [name]Donna[/name], [name]Elaine[/name], [name]Holly[/name], [name]Hope[/name], [name]Jessie[/name], [name]Kathleen[/name], [name]Lora[/name], [name]Marie[/name], [name]Megan[/name], [name]Nina[/name]. [name]Noelle[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Ren[/name]”e, [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Susanne[/name], [name]Victoria[/name].

[name]Emo[/name] [name]Poetry[/name], [name]Emo[/name] [name]Poetry[/name], some [name]Victoriana[/name], weird drawing…

[name]Early[/name] 1990 (this is later in the notebook than [name]June[/name] for some reason):
Girls - [name]Adrienne[/name], [name]Alaine[/name], [name]Allison[/name], [name]Athena[/name], [name]Aurora[/name], [name]Brandy[/name] (she’s a fine girl, and a good wife she would be, what can I say, except sorry for the earworm?), [name]Brooke[/name], [name]Cathleen[/name], [name]Chelsea[/name], [name]Cheryl[/name], [name]Claire[/name], [name]Collette[/name], [name]Colleen[/name], [name]Courtney[/name], [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Darcie[/name], [name]Dianne[/name], [name]Eden[/name], [name]Elaine[/name], [name]Emeline[/name], [name]Esther[/name], [name]Faith[/name], [name]Francine[/name], [name]Georgiana[/name], [name]Gloria[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Gwendolyn[/name], [name]Hollie[/name], [name]Hope[/name], [name]Irene[/name], [name]Jeanne[/name], [name]Jocelyn[/name], [name]Joelle[/name], [name]Julie[/name], [name]Justine[/name], [name]Kayleigh[/name], [name]Laurel[/name], [name]Lisa[/name], [name]Lisbeth[/name], [name]Marilyn[/name], [name]Marie[/name], [name]Marlo[/name], [name]Megan[/name], [name]Naomi[/name], [name]Nicole[/name], [name]Noel[/name], [name]Pauline[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Sabrina[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Shannon[/name], [name]Shelley[/name], [name]Sibyl[/name], [name]Sidney[/name], [name]Susanne[/name], [name]Tamar[/name], [name]Trista[/name], [name]Veronica[/name], [name]Violette[/name], [name]Yvonne[/name]

Boys - [name]Aidan[/name], [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Brett[/name], [name]Cary[/name], [name]Charles[/name], [name]Christopher[/name], [name]Daniel[/name], [name]Douglas[/name], [name]Evan[/name], [name]Gareth[/name], [name]Harold[/name], [name]Harrison[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Joel[/name], [name]Jordan[/name], [name]Joseph[/name], [name]Justin[/name], [name]Keith[/name], [name]Matthew[/name], [name]Maxwell[/name], [name]Nicholas[/name], [name]Owen[/name], [name]Paul[/name], [name]Raymond[/name], [name]Ross[/name], [name]Scott[/name], [name]Sean[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Shane[/name], [name]Steven[/name], [name]Sullivan[/name], [name]Timothy[/name].

Last one (it’s shorter but not completely alphabetical): Aug. 1990 Notably in parentheses was this note to self (“Common Spelling, not necessarily my choice”):
Girls - [name]Cecilia[/name], [name]Crystal[/name], [name]Felicia[/name], [name]Lisabeth[/name], [name]Vanessa[/name], [name]Alicia[/name], [name]Allison[/name], [name]Andrea[/name], [name]Chelsea[/name], [name]Christa[/name], [name]Elaine[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Gina[/name], [name]Gwendolyn[/name], [name]Holly[/name], [name]Janine[/name], [name]Jocelyn[/name], [name]Justine[/name], [name]Kathleen[/name], [name]Laura[/name], [name]Naomi[/name], [name]Nina[/name], [name]Noelle[/name], [name]Ren[/name]”e, [name]Suzanne[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Carla[/name], [name]Diane[/name], [name]Edith[/name], [name]Hope[/name], [name]Irene[/name], [name]Jill[/name], [name]Joy[/name], [name]Kate[/name], [name]Leigh[/name], [name]Marie[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Sybil[/name], [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Brooke[/name], [name]Kerry[/name], [name]Robin[/name], [name]Shelley[/name].

Boys - [name]Andrew[/name], [name]Charles[/name], [name]Daniel[/name], [name]Douglas[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Joseph[/name], [name]Kenneth[/name], [name]Mark[/name], [name]Paul[/name], [name]Raymond[/name], [name]Walter[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Aidan[/name], [name]Christian[/name], [name]Christopher[/name], [name]Evan[/name], [name]Jordan[/name], [name]Nicholas[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Shawn[/name], [name]Timothy[/name].

Some of these are weird to me. A lot of them make sense to me. Striking example that [name]Marlo[/name] was on my list, or [name]Edith[/name] or [name]Emeline[/name]. A lot of names were really trendy, but so many were going to be, or haven’t yet. I do like me some pass” names. I can’t remember liking the name [name]Courtney[/name] or [name]Ashley[/name], for example. I still like a lot of these names and would use them. [name]Sybil[/name] and [name]Gareth[/name] are so funny to me. [name]Harold[/name] and [name]Brandy[/name]. Such a crazy list. Thanks for putting up with it, hope someone enjoys this wayback trip with me.

rosie- after my jijuu rosie
annie- not too sure where i got this from
evelyn- after my aunt who passed away when she was a baby, i always thought it was simply beautiful
bella- name of my language teacher, i always thought this name was so beautiful also samson- when my puppy lucky I passed away, my dad got my mom a big stuffed dog that i claimed, samson just popped into my head:)

still love most of them but i don’t like bella anymore though :frowning: