Names you love but can't use because SO vetoed

I’ve been seeing a few threads recently of names you love but won’t use for some reason, and I was curious, for those of us in relationships/married, what are some names you really love but your significant other completely shot down with no chance of convincing them? Let’s take a moment to appreciate those names we won’t get to use!

Some of mine would be:

Girls:
[name_u]Tate[/name_u]
[name_f]Bronte[/name_f]
[name_f]Apple[/name_f]
[name_f]Claudia[/name_f]
[name_m]Winsor[/name_m] / [name_f]Winslet[/name_f]

Boys:
[name_m]Booker[/name_m]
[name_m]Crew[/name_m]
[name_u]Harvest[/name_u]
[name_m]Finlo[/name_m]
[name_u]Poet[/name_u]
[name_m]Sutter[/name_m]

5 Likes

[name_f]Madalena[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivien[/name_u]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]

sigh

3 Likes

[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] :sob:

I absolutely love [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] to me she’s so enchanting, whimsical and elegant. She has a range of wondering nicknames and a wonderful meaning but OH just will not get on board.

Other names vetoed by OH but I would also probably not use because numerous different factors
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] (boy)
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] (boy)
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]

[name_m]Just[/name_m] quickly going to give a mention to my beloved [name_f]Rose[/name_f] :rose:
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] was vetoed with [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] because OH felt that it was too closely associated with his mum and that it was strange for us to use because we know so many children with the name something-Rose or if not hyphenated as a middle name including his niece so it felt like copying. But I feel like if I was to be blessed with another daughter I could potentially persuade him :crossed_fingers:t4:

Honestly compromising is annoying! The power of veto sucks sometimes :woman_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

Anything with a bad meaning is out for me SO!

1 Like

there are so many!

tabitha, “tiggy” was the most disappointing.

4 Likes

[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] but i’m not sure i’ll be able to use it, keeping my fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:t3:

2 Likes

The ones I love and SO strongly dislikes are :pensive:

Aviva
Lovisa
Evaline
Caspian
Everest
Roman
Orlando
Valentin
Vada
Isola
Amora

1 Like

[name_f]Juno[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]

[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Miro[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucian[/name_m]
[name_u]Rex[/name_u]
[name_m]Bastian[/name_m]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m]

I absolutely love my daughter’s name but she likely would’ve been [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f] or Margot/Margaux if my partner hadn’t vetoed them. [name_f]My[/name_f] son has my top name although there were times when I had some of the names on this list ahead of it, just because I’m indecisive more than anything else.

2 Likes

Oh my there really are so many but some of the ones that stand out: I’ve starred the ones that really hurt :joy:

[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] :star:
[name_f]Gretchen[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] :star:
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_u]Jean[/name_u] :star:
[name_u]Alexis[/name_u] :star:
[name_u]Skye[/name_u]

[name_u]Harry[/name_u]
[name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] :star:
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m] :star:
[name_m]Jeremy[/name_m]
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m] :star: (PRNC lou-ee)

1 Like

This probably only has 9 replies because a lot of Berries are single teens who like names not babies lol

1 Like

It’s probably a good thing this is our last baby because my DH loves to shoot down so many names and likes to say that he does like a name and then change his mind :unamused:

Some of my favorites he’s said no to:

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] (brought this one up and then decided he didn’t like it)
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] (said it sounds like barnacle)
[name_u]Dexter[/name_u] (said it was nerdy. I like nerdy names)
[name_m]Wolfram[/name_m]
[name_u]Willoughby[/name_u]
[name_u]Gabriel[/name_u] (as a first)
[name_u]Florian[/name_u]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] (liked it but now he doesn’t)
[name_f]Opal[/name_f] :broken_heart:
[name_f]Clover[/name_f]

1 Like

I swear my bf does the same thing! I’ll mention a name, he’ll say he likes it, and then later when I ask if he still likes it he’s like “what? I never said I like that!” [name_u]Or[/name_u] he’ll say he thought I was joking 🤦

1 Like

[name_u]Sloane[/name_u] [name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] [name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_u]Everly[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] entire list? :no_mouth:

I mean more seriously, and dropping the names that were braver anyway from consideration:
[name_f]Honora[/name_f]
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]
[name_f]Hester[/name_f]
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f]
[name_f]Virginia[/name_f]
[name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosamond[/name_f]
[name_f]Millicent[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]

[name_m]Edmond[/name_m]
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_u]Clarence[/name_u]
[name_m]Benedict[/name_m]
[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]
[name_m]Isidore[/name_m]
[name_m]Reginald[/name_m]
[name_u]Sidney[/name_u]
[name_m]Wilfred[/name_m]

Like I said, it’s pretty much my whole list but these are the ones that stand out that he’s looked at me funny for.

2 Likes

Lol yeah same, if I had included my whole list it would be a mile long, I only wrote the names that I’m especially sad about not being able to use

Currently pregnant and due with a girl in [name_u]December[/name_u]. I’m really anxious to have the baby name discussion with my husband since we have such different taste.

With our son, he vetoed [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] and [name_u]Clarence[/name_u].

1 Like

I’ve always dreamed of a little girl named Eloise/a but by husband pulls an awful face whenever I mention it. :frowning: Luckily it doesn’t matter because we’re doing IVF and will have no girls.

1 Like

Oh boy. Well, I’m rather daring in names, while my husband isn’t as much. He likes unusual, but only SO unusual. :wink:

Our last pregnancy, I had my heart set on Ransom. It sounded edgy, manly, and with this cool old world but new life vibe. BUT, my husband wasn’t as fond, promising we’ll reconsider if we have another boy. My second choice was Sterling, which we did use as our son’s middle, so that’s nice, but it feels kinda tucked away behind his first name. I was rather disappointed with both decisions at the time, but have since gotten over it, and we get a lot of positive comments on the name we DID go with. :smiley: And maybe we’ll have a Ransom one of these days… :wink:

For this girl (due in September) I was really fond of Greer or Kyrie, but we’re going with Mercy Lael. This time it wasn’t so much vetoing as just narrowing down choices to something we both like though, thankfully! :slight_smile:

Fun topic! It’s nice to see others with more daring taste in names too, even if they DID get vetoed! :wink:

1 Like

Thankfully my husband and I generally agree on names, but he has vetoed:

[name_f]Colette[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]

[name_m]Winston[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Calloway[/name_u]
[name_m]Harvey[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucien[/name_m]
[name_m]Truman[/name_m] (this is on our mn list, though)

1 Like