Names you love that are too tied to pop culture

Mine is [name_f]Flo[/name_f]. I loved it from 2006 to 2008 when I had to drop it due to [name_f]Flo[/name_f] [name_f]Rida[/name_f] even though I was only 9 at the time I knew I couldn’t use it because of the rapper. I don’t like it any more because of [name_f]Flo[/name_f] [name_f]Rida[/name_f]. I also kind of like [name_m]Drake[/name_m] but would never use it even though he’s not that popular in my country (Hold on we’re going home is his highest charting song in Australia) I couldn’t use it as the like the rapper comments would annoy me.

What are yours?

It pisses me off that [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] would get “like [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]?” comments. We’re not sure if we’d use it or not. It’s such a cool name otherwise

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] was vetoed by my husband for Nintendo-based reasons. Made me mad.

[name_f]Hyacinth[/name_f] is more than somewhat ruined by Keeping Up Appearances.

I have lots and lots of ruined ones actually I could keep going.

Two of my favorites, [name_m]Royal[/name_m] and [name_f]Clarity[/name_f] are impossible to use right now because of the popular songs that are playing on the radio constantly that have those titles.
The other issue that I see with the name [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is the “Aunt-[name_f]Flo[/name_f]” connection. Maybe this is just a Southern thing, but where I grew up, when girls were explaining that they were menstruating they said that “Aunt [name_f]Flo[/name_f] has come for a visit.”

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] are two of mine, as well.

My husband and I both loved [name_f]Bette[/name_f], but it’s so closely tied to Midler that we opted for [name_f]Bettina[/name_f] instead, which I think was the right choice.

Another name I adore is [name_f]Esme[/name_f], but I fear it has been ruined by Twilight.

I love [name_u]River[/name_u] but constantly hearing about [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] every time I mention the name kind of ruins it for me.

I like [name_m]Leo[/name_m]… Except I had a huge [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] di caprio crush when I was a teenager… Bedroom walls and ceiling covered in posters. I think ppl would think that is why I chose the name. Bummer, cause I’m really struggling with boy names!

Also, [name_f]Adele[/name_f] is a name my husband and I both like, however worried its now linked too much to the singer

We have the “Auntie [name_f]Flo[/name_f]” thing here too, so maybe it’s lucky [name_f]Flo[/name_f] [name_f]Rida[/name_f] got there first! [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] is a big one, especially as I am a Classics person. The “Oh…do you know what happened to her though?” reaction came up a lot, and, as I liked [name_m]Ajax[/name_m] for a boy, I thought it wasn’t worth it. But now, I’m liking both of them much less, so it’s good that that came up then.

@amac119 i know two [name_f]Adele[/name_f]'s though they are 12 so I don’t see it as a one person name
@Ciottolo I’ve never heard the Aunty [name_f]Flo[/name_f] thing I am in Australia though

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]. Kind of. I think I could use it anyway - to be fair, it’s an awesome game and I like the [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m] reference enough to just go with it. I think that might be the only one, though.

[name_f]Clarissa[/name_f]. I usually wouldn’t go that frilly but it would be a nice way to honor my great -grandmother [name_f]Clara[/name_f] - but I was in the prime [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] Explains It All audience.
[name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] - too [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. I love HP, but I’m a redhead named [name_f]Molly[/name_f], so I really would have to approach all Weasley children names with caution.

It would probably be [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] for me (game, [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] the teenage witch etc). I cannot really think of anything else.

[name_f]Hermione[/name_f]. I really like it as a middle name. Especially [name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]. But I am a huge [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] fan and everyone in my family knows it. I would never hear the end of it for naming my poor daughter after a [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character. I also like [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] as a middle name for [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] as a first name, but [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is too tied to the Hunger Games and [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] to a rather gruesome unsolved murder.

[name_m]Draco[/name_m]- this used to be my favorite boy name, long before the HP books were written
[name_m]Drake[/name_m]- became my alternative after HP ruined [name_m]Draco[/name_m] but then came the rapper [name_m]Drake[/name_m]
[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]- the rapper [name_m]Drake[/name_m] (I actually like him but I don’t want people thinking I’m a fangirl)

[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]- I adored this name but I always got “Like the mouse?” comments from friends (when we were little, The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under were really popular)

My mom loved [name_m]Telly[/name_m] (because of [name_m]Telly[/name_m] Savalas) and it was her top name when she found out she was pregnant with my brother. Unfortunately, [name_f]Sesame[/name_f] [name_m]Street[/name_m] had just debuted a new (and very annoying) monster named [name_m]Telly[/name_m]. :frowning: