Names You Love That Got 'NO' From Your Significant Other

…and probably for good reason at times!

Tamlyn
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Dorsey[/name]
[name]Jean[/name]
Haverleigh (I totally made this up after watching [name]Rebecca[/name] and thinking about Manderley)
[name]Everly[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name] (anything [name]Rose[/name] related)
[name]Orla[/name]
[name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Tegan[/name]
[name]Tansy[/name]
[name]Ala[/name] Moana (this one I will put down to honeymoon stupidity)
[name]Leilani[/name]
[name]Rainey[/name]
Wavey (the Shipping News)
[name]Lacey[/name] (probably my favourite name of all time)
[name]Leola[/name]
Kirra (after the beach)
[name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Merrily[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Joan[/name]
[name]Portia[/name]

The entire LM [name]Montgomery[/name] cluster:
[name]Anne[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Maude[/name]
[name]Marilla[/name]
[name]Rilla[/name]
[name]Tannis[/name]
[name]Kilmeny[/name]
[name]Emily[/name]

What are your names you love but got unloved in return?

[name]Sanne[/name]
[name]Susanna[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Sela[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Pilar[/name]
[name]Aoife[/name]
[name]Niamh[/name]

[name]Lucia[/name]! I lost that one too! but got to keep [name]Lucienne[/name]

[name]Margot[/name], [name]Arabella[/name], [name]Sanaa[/name], [name]Nola[/name], Isola, [name]Isaline[/name], [name]Amalia[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Evelina[/name], [name]Katya[/name], [name]Etta[/name], [name]Jacinda[/name], [name]Lorelei[/name], [name]Rhea[/name], [name]Theresa[/name], [name]Vida[/name], [name]Viviana[/name], [name]Elodie[/name] - probably more I can’t remember! Some he was right on but some I still love lol. But we agree on enough names I love that I can get over losing the others.

[name]Lucia[/name]! I lost that one too! but got to keep [name]Lucienne[/name][/quote]

That’s funny – my DH vetoed [name]Lucia[/name], but he likes [name]Lucienne[/name]. I just can’t imagine calling a little girl [name]Lucienne[/name] all the time, and I wouldn’t want it to get shortened to [name]Lucy[/name].

I had my girl’s list narrowed down to 4 names, and my DH vetoed all but [name]Emily[/name]!

[name]Alison[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]

my DH just nixed [name]Marilla[/name]…his EXACT comment was “[name]Marilla[/name] the Gorilla!?!” Facepalm

Often when we play the “what about…” game he just looks at me like I am nuts. I suppose I am!

Others he has nixed:
[name]Astrid[/name]
[name]Birgitta[/name]
[name]Percival[/name]
[name]Thane[/name]
[name]Anselm[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Bram[/name]

I think a shorter list for me would be: what names DIDN’T your husband veto? :wink:

[name]Vivienne[/name] (although I’m still trying)
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Octavia[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
…I could go scour my past name lists for more! :slight_smile:

[name]Imogen[/name] (he just doesn’t like it)
[name]Jemima[/name] (too attached to a stereotye in his opinion)

Sorry, I can’t figure out how to do the linking thing.

[name]Lucia[/name]! I lost that one too! but got to keep [name]Lucienne[/name][/quote]

That’s funny – my DH vetoed [name]Lucia[/name], but he likes [name]Lucienne[/name]. I just can’t imagine calling a little girl [name]Lucienne[/name] all the time, and I wouldn’t want it to get shortened to [name]Lucy[/name].[/quote]

You couldn’t do [name]Lucienne[/name] unless you liked [name]Lucy[/name] or [name]Lucie[/name].

[name]Roxanne[/name]/[name]Roxana[/name] (reminds him of the song)
[name]Petra[/name] (reminds him of the [name]Christian[/name] rock band from the 80s by the same name)
[name]Ophelia[/name] (too strong an association with [name]Hamlet[/name])
[name]Martha[/name] (sounds frumpy)
[name]Liv[/name] (thinks it sounds trendy)

[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]

[name]Sophia[/name]. He said it makes him think of a maid (?!?!?!?!)

There are lots that I’m probably forgetting.

[name]Della[/name]- Didnt think it sounded like a name?
[name]Adele[/name]- Thought it was too old.
[name]Mirabelle[/name]- He HATED this one
[name]Magnolia[/name]- this just made him laugh
[name]Ingrid[/name]- to harsh for his taste
[name]Amelia[/name]- The street he grew up on apparently. I fail to see how that is a bad thing.
[name]Elinor[/name]- didnt say no but wasnt excited about it
[name]Vera[/name]- Thought it was an old lady name
[name]Eloise[/name]- Got a blank stare for this one, which means he hates it.

I know there are lots more.

Names he actually likes:
[name]Cecily[/name], [name]Elodie[/name], and [name]Genevieve[/name]. Oh and he loves [name]Isabel[/name] but it is just too popular.

So, that leaves me with three names to chose from if we have a little girl. At least it wont be overwhelmed with options.

For our fourth and last child, I really wanted to hit it out of the park, go off the beaten path, step outside the name box-so to speak.

I liked:
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Delilah/name___He did not like the fact that in the Bible she was a little shall we say loose???
[name]Lilou[/name]–[name]Love[/name] the name but he said there would be too many comments about the movie(Fifth Element)
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Sloane[/name]–[name]Said[/name] it was too boyish.
Everleigh
[name]Raven[/name]–he said it sounded like a demonic bird.
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Aubrey[/name]

In the end we went with [name]Edyn[/name] [name]Summer[/name](her birthmother picked out her mn from a list we had). It was also hard, because our 3 other children are all teens. The would make the gagging expression with their faces, and say “you’re not serious are you?”. It truly had to be a family decision right down to the spelling. I know the [name]Edyn[/name] with a Y is controversial! In the end, I’m happy–and [name]Edyn[/name] fits with [name]Blake[/name], [name]Grant[/name] and [name]Mallory[/name] :smiley:

[name]Ainsley[/name] (reminded him of a body part)
[name]Meredith[/name] (thought the “[name]Merry[/name]” nn was too confusing)
[name]Gabriella[/name] (before HS Musical)
[name]Roxanne[/name]
He liked all these girl names from the 80s when we were growing up. Not bad names but I knew girls with all these names!
[name]Allison[/name]
[name]Julie[/name]
[name]Melissa[/name]
So funny!!!

Oh, so many…here are the ones that really broke my heart, though

[name]Seren[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] this name, but he can’t get past the poisonous gas thing
[name]Freya[/name] - To weird for him
[name]Cora[/name]/[name]Coralie[/name] - Too old lady
[name]Kendra[/name] - I know a lot of people, including my hubby, think it’s dated, but I still love it.

Because of all of this heartbreak, I have not yet told him my current top choice for a girl, which is [name]Hazel[/name]. We are not pregnant right now, in fact I’m still trying to talk him into a second child. If we do get pregnant, and it turns out to be a girl, I will tell him my choice and he will probably veto it. Until then, though, I refuse to tell him because I want to dream for awhile.

funny - that’s the ONE name my husband has suggested. I really like [name]Sophie[/name] (not [name]Sophia[/name] so much), but even though we don’t know any little girls named [name]Sophia[/name]/[name]Sophie[/name], I still can’t get past its ranking on the popularity charts.

My DH was pretty good about considering names before giving it a definite “no”

The ones he did give BIG NO’s to

[name]Imogen[/name] / [name]Imogene[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]

First time I brought up [name]Ruby[/name] he said, “like a stripper?” I said, “No! Like two of my great grandmas!”