names you "shouldn't" like but do

Hmm… where to start?

[name]Sonnet[/name]- I really really don’t like word names, but this is one I secretly adore.

[name]Ruth[/name]- I know it’s really old lady, even now in the time when those names are coming back in style, but I have an ancestor with the name and I just love her story. Same with [name]Selma[/name], but I like [name]Ruth[/name] better. It’s great that one of her middle names is [name]Linnea[/name], so I can use that and still honor her.

[name]Bertram[/name]- Everyone I know hates this name, but I have a big soft spot for it. If it had a nickname that wasn’t horrid, I would be really tempted to use it.

[name]Hero[/name]- I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Hero[/name] for a girl. Probably because I’m a [name]Shakespeare[/name] nut, but I really wish that this was an acceptable name to use nowadays because I’m totally on board.

Touchstone- I’d never actually put this on a kid, but it is just an awesome name. Same with [name]Lysander[/name]. Yup… [name]Shakespeare[/name] nerd.

[name]Leighton[/name] - it’s trendy, misspelled and fad, but I adore it
[name]Ismay[/name] - technically, it’s an amalgam of names and looks like a misspeling of Esm”
[name]Indie[/name] - I think it’s spunky but perhaps too much for a kid (girl)

I like most of the hipster names… [name]Stellan[/name], [name]Dexter[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Piper[/name] to name a few. But, is it really that bad? They’re great names!

I also really like trendy [name]Aidan[/name], [name]Kellen[/name], [name]Ellison[/name] and [name]Everly[/name]… as well as most of the Twilight names. I resent you, [name]Stephanie[/name] [name]Meyer[/name]. :wink:

[/quote]

I didn’t post it, but maybe because there’s so many K names like [name]Kayla[/name], [name]Kylie[/name], [name]Korey[/name], etc… There’s also the actress [name]Keira[/name], so maybe that’s where the trendiness comes in?[/quote]

You’re probably right. The only other “K” name I like for a girl is the ultra trendy [name]Kaylie[/name]/[name]Kaylee[/name]. All the others don’t really appeal to me. Here is some off the wall info about [name]Kira[/name], she was a Gelfling in the Dark [name]Crystal[/name] (but that’s not why we named her).

I’m so with you on [name]Hero[/name]! I love it and if it were “acceptable” I would use it! It’s a shame that it would seem SO weird to name a girl [name]Hero[/name] these days… who knows, maybe someday it will be normal and we’ll meet lots of little Heros!

Oh I thought of another one: [name]Kylie[/name]/[name]Kiley[/name]. Did you know it means boomerang?! That’s fun! I think it’s very spunky and cute, and I like the sound of it alot! I also love [name]Riley[/name] for girls or boys. I even think [name]Miley[/name] is cute.

I’m with you on [name]Bertram[/name]! He’s so adorable! I’d nn him [name]Berry[/name] as a little one, and I think he could use the super-skater-cool Bam when he’s a teen! :slight_smile:

And [name]Hero[/name] is awesome! Did you know that the pronounciation as a name is more like HAIR-o ? Not like the word, which might make it more acceptable but more difficult as a name.
I’ve almost given up on it thinking I could use it for the family dog one day, but it still pops up in the back of my head quite often! ^^

[name]Finn[/name]- looove it, but so trendy!!
[name]Emelia[/name]- nuff said…
[name]Lillian[/name]- wouldn’t even use [name]Lily[/name] as a NN :frowning:
[name]Adele[/name]- so growing in popularity
[name]Colette[/name], Corette, [name]Nanette[/name]- can’t help it!!!
Zabeth- too strange?
[name]Persephone[/name], [name]Demeter[/name], [name]Thalassa[/name], [name]Gaia[/name], [name]Alcyone[/name], [name]Andromeda[/name]- too much…
[name]Ivory[/name]- for a girl…
[name]Anastacia[/name], Aneliese- too long & too much, i think.
[name]Iris[/name]- see Zabeth
[name]Artemis[/name]- for a girl :’(
[name]Juno[/name]- the movie…
[name]Leighton[/name]- spelled too femimine?
[name]Savannah[/name]- sigh.
[name]Hazel[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Coral[/name]- my most favourite names
[name]Dallas[/name], [name]Rusty[/name]-[name]James[/name]- …
Hesper- I would use this in a heartbeat

[name]Do[/name] you happen to be a fan of S.E. Hinton? I just couldn’t help but notice that [name]Dallas[/name] and [name]Rusty[/name]-[name]James[/name] were on your list. I actually kind of like those names. I’d advice against using Ponyboy though. :wink:

One of my guilty pleasures is [name]Aiden[/name]. When I was in college, I met this awesome guy named [name]Aiden[/name] while doing theatre, and the name has always had such a positive association after that. But, its [name]WAY[/name] too trendy for me to ever consider using it…although I do love it! (I can see why so many people have chosen it :slight_smile: )

Oh! And, for girls, I also love [name]Kylie[/name] and [name]Keelie[/name], but, again, completely trendy. Their sounds are just so bright and happy and sweet - I’m addicted!

Sadly, I think all the names I like fall into this category! My top boy and girl picks are [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Lyla[/name], which I thought I had practically invented, until I started coming on Nameberry a few days ago. Come to find out they are skyrocketing into popularity. I may still use them, though. Other guilty pleasures (which I won’t use, don’t worry) fall into a few categories:

[name]Fantasy[/name] lit names:
Eilonwy nn Eilo
[name]Arwen[/name]/[name]Eowyn[/name]
[name]Arya[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
Ronya
Tulia

Word names:
[name]Ever[/name]
[name]River[/name]
[name]Saffron[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Rainy[/name]

Unpronounceable Irish names:
[name]Aislinn[/name]
[name]Aine[/name]
[name]Saoirse[/name]

Oh, and [name]Evan[/name] for a girl.

[name]Will[/name] try to exercise some restraint…

Some of my favorites:

[name]Sunday[/name]
[name]Holiday[/name] (as in [name]Billie[/name])
[name]Ella[/name] ([name]Way[/name] too popular)
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Early[/name]
[name]Irving[/name] (with nn [name]Bing[/name], ha kind of have a theme going)
All Twilight Names minus [name]Emmett[/name] & [name]Carlisle[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name] (Too popular)
Gwenonwy (would honor a family member and love the meaning)
[name]Haidee[/name] (trendy with ties to the country and the greek god)
[name]Journey[/name]
Lillibeth (it just seems so sweet with a slight southern feel)
[name]Jersey[/name] (My fave unisex trendy place name, too bad)
[name]Laurence[/name] (nn [name]Laurie[/name], too feminine I know)
[name]Owen[/name] (I figure if it’s that popular you know it must be a good name right :wink:
Sachem
[name]Hannah[/name]

[name]Lola[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]

my husband says they are “bad girl” names.

I like the word Cholera…I think it would make a beautiful name, but obviously it would get very odd and negative reactions…but its such a shame such a beautiful word is used to describe such a nasty disease