Names you're sad to say goodbye to

myles. My cousin and her husband are expecting a baby in oct. after experiencing many problems conceiving and they are going to name him miles. i’m a little heart sick about it but i’m happy that they are finally gonna be parents so that makes me feel alittle bit better.

I always envisioned naming my first daughter [name]Jane[/name], after my grandmother. After getting married, though, I had to say goodbye to sweet little [name]Jane[/name], since my last name is now [name]Cain[/name]. [name]Jane[/name] [name]Cain[/name] would just be cruel. :frowning:

[name]Everett[/name], b/c we already have a daughter named [name]Juliet[/name] and they rhyme and dh says it sounds stupid when said in a row. I love it, though.

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Leah[/name],

I love [name]Isabel[/name] too, no matter how popular it is. In fact, it is the mn of our oldest:)

I admit my story is more silly than sad. I love names – and dogs. And I love the ritual of naming my dog. As my nieces and nephews grew up, I decided the names for their babies would take precedence. I told them they could tell me when a name was out of pool of dog names (if they were even considering using it) – because it would seem strange to have [name]Luke[/name] the Dog and [name]Luke[/name] the Kid.
This list will tell you how long this has been going on. I swear – these were fresh when this started (a long, long time ago)!
[name]Chloe[/name]

[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Jake[/name]
[name]Bryn[/name] (with any ending)
[name]Logan[/name]
And finally, [name]Nelly[/name], which I lost to a friend’s cat. She said she didn’t mind sharing, but [name]Nelly[/name] came to mean for me a dappled black velvet face.

Okay – the good news is you move on. I’m now glad I didn’t use any of those name, most of which became enormously popular for dogs – not to mention human children.

[name]Avery[/name] was on top of our list for a very long time, we recently moved to [name]Texas[/name] for DH’s job, and the one friend I’ve made out here so far has a 13m/o named [name]Avery[/name]… so that’s out.

[name]LIV[/name]

our last name is [name]Young[/name], so our daughter would be [name]Liv[/name] [name]Young[/name]! BUT, not only am i pregnant with a boy, my neighbor has a two-year old girl named [name]Liv[/name]. dang!

[name]Amara[/name] and [name]Mara[/name] (as well as [name]Zara[/name]) because they rhyme w/my dear deceased daughter Navarra’s name. I actually grieve/mourn these names to the point of being heartsick and literally sick to my stomach in the beginning!

[name]Annika[/name] because a close niece’s name is [name]Anna[/name].

[name]Solana[/name] because my 2nd daughter’s middle name is [name]Soleil[/name]…too similar of meanings.

[name]Read[/name] my posts if interested…no need to explain further as I am sure many of you that are familiar are thinking!

[name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Anniston[/name] - I’ve always loved these names, but my husband vetoed them, because an awful ex-girlfriend of his was [name]Anna[/name] :frowning:

[name]Braelyn[/name] - I was talking about how much I liked the name one day, and my sister chose it for her new puppy…so sad!

I know there are many more, I just can’t think of them right now. As husband said the other day “When I hear my daughter’s name, I want her to be the first and only thing I think of”, so any names with any other connotations/associations are out.

I have a list of Gaelic/English names that I love, but since I have been naming my children based on the countries they are born in it doesn’t seem like I will be getting an [name]Aoife[/name] (ee-fa), Neeve, [name]Louisa[/name] or [name]Pippa[/name] anytime soon.
I am especially upset about [name]Elliott[/name], I have loved this name for ever, even dealt with the [name]Ell[/name]-EEE-Ot ET jokes… all for nothing.

But I may get my [name]Felix[/name] so I am willing to let those get covered in dust. It is worth it when I see how pleased my children are with their names!

Yes, I do. I love [name]Candace[/name], but I already have a cousin named that and I dont use names like that. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Kaley[/name], but its too popular.

I love [name]Alfred[/name] but I doubt my future husband will be as ecstatic about it as I am, LOL.

Woohoo! That’s my name. :smiley:

Great Topic!

The anguish [name]Emma[/name] has put me through! [name]Emma[/name] was my great-grandmother’s name, the matriarch of our family, and I was actually supposed to be named [name]Emma[/name]. [name]Ever[/name] since I was a little girl, I planned on using it for a future daughter. For me, [name]Emma[/name] is everything a name should be: elegant, classic, strong. (It means “Healer of the Universe,” for goodness’ sake! What’s not to love?!) I dislike it when people put too much emphasis on popularity, but in reality I have searched my heart and soul, and know that I can no longer use it. I just love [name]Emma[/name]. I could go on and on…

kweller12-- You are right on about Dylans! I had to laugh out loud because I work in an elementary school and on several occasions my team members and I have discussed names and counted all the mischievous Dylans we know. It’s so funny how sometimes there are qualities that people with a certain name share. (No offense to you Nameberry moms and dads with Dylans at home; I am sure they are just lovely.)

[name]Amelia[/name]

I’m not sure if I can really say goodbye to it, but my favorite name (since I was a teenager) has always been [name]Chloe[/name] [name]Mae[/name]. [name]Mae[/name] is [name]BOTH[/name] of my grandmothers’ middle name, and I’ve just always loved [name]Chloe[/name]. I don’t think I can do it now, though, given it’s popularity. It will be a tough decision, and who knows if it’ll even be an issue (my mother and [name]MIL[/name] are convinced we’re having boys). If I do have a girl, maybe it won’t be as popular then. Although, by then, [name]Mae[/name] will probably be the new [name]Ann[/name] (of the 1980s) or [name]Grace[/name] (of today) as the middle name of choice. sigh

I agree…if you love [name]Leo[/name] then your friend can stick it in her ear! She may never have a boy! She can’t copyright the name!!

I’ve said goodbye to [name]Bridie[/name] (the husband hated it) and [name]Edie[/name] (ditto) and also [name]Remy[/name] (ditto!).

I’ve also said goodby to [name]Lewis[/name] for a boy, because I’m preggers with twin girls and already have a little lady, so there will be no boys for me! :slight_smile:

KILLING MYSELF because I have had to say goodbye to [name]Finn[/name]. This wasn’t my first choice for a boy but was probably number 2 or 3 (and I want a lot of kids!), but my childhood bestie used it for a girl last week (well, [name]Finley[/name], but they’re calling her [name]Finn[/name]). Sadly that is way too close for me to ever use [name]Finn[/name] myself - well maybe as a second name, but not as a first.

ARGH!

I love the name [name]Bella[/name] (no, not because of Twilight - but yes, I know people will always assume that), and recently stumbled upon the name [name]Jane[/name], and since I am Brazilian/Italian and my husband is American I though the name [name]Bella[/name] [name]Jane[/name] sounds absolutely great together!!! Problem is my husband (who was bullied a lot in school) reminded me that she will be called BJ!!! He totally killed my very first favorite 1st + 2nd name combination!!

[name]Isabella[/name]-- I love this name! I have always planned on having (or adopting) two little girls and naming them [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Gabriella[/name] (and I’d call them [name]Bella[/name] and [name]Gabby[/name]). But I can never use this. Twilight ruined the name for me, plus my aunt and uncle will be using [name]Isabella[/name] for their little girl ([name]Isabella[/name] [name]Truth[/name]…kinda cute, however, it reminds me of [name]Sojourner[/name] [name]Truth[/name], because her first name was [name]Isabella[/name]. My aunt is a major feminist, which explains why their son’s mn is [name]Justice[/name]).

[name]Gianna[/name]-- I think this name is cute! It honors my family’s Italian heritage, which is rather important to me. But my cousin’s name is [name]Jenna[/name] and I’m close to her…so it would be kinda weird.

[name]Luca[/name]— I don’t really know if I actually have to say goodbye to this name. I have a cousin in [name]Italy[/name] who has this name, but I have never met him (and probably never will), so it might be okay.

[name]Cameron[/name] and [name]Chloe[/name]

When I was younger these were my favourite names. My style has since changed, and I now prefer much more classic and regal names. I was discussing this with my cousins wife, who said that [name]Chloe[/name] and [name]Cameron[/name] were top of their lists for their first child. Though they don’t really stand out for me any longer, it pulled at my “name strings” that I would never be able to use them for my own children.