Naming a Goddess of Chaos

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all. I’ve been cruising around the internet looking for a name for this character of mine, and I just can’t seem to find anything that I like enough on my own. Maybe someone here has a good idea or two (or dozen)?

Brief background: She is the main character of a fantasy with a geographical setting much like the American west (think snow-capped mountains, redwood forests, deserts, foggy coastline, etc). And she also happens to be a goddess of chaos and insanity in a pantheon a bit like the classic Egyptian or Greek pantheon.

So I’m looking for names that aren’t too [name_m]Roman[/name_m] or Anglican… Weird is okay. Anything with a cool meaning behind it is awesome. Especially anything related to chaos, destruction, madness, the night, the moon, darkness, the color black. But mostly I’m just looking for any name someone thinks might be good for a goddess of chaos. Help!

Well, the first thing I thought of was [name_f]Eris[/name_f], considering she was an actual goddess of chaos, though that may be a little too obvious for you. [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] means “of the night,” and [name_f]Nyx[/name_f] was a night goddess, [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]/[name_f]Artemisia[/name_f]/[name_f]Diana[/name_f] was a moon goddess. [name_f]Maura[/name_f] means “dark.” [name_f]Desdemona[/name_f] - “ill-starred.”

I think [name_f]Maura[/name_f] and [name_f]Desdemona[/name_f] are in the right vein. I guess I’m looking for things that don’t already have characters in their own right? I love [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] but I could never use it due to the Biblical implications. But it has that beautiful sound with darker meaning that I’m looking for.

Actually, I was just looking at storm/weather names and found Aella which could work… I don’t know!

[name_f]Kali[/name_f] or [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]?

[name_f]Charna[/name_f] - dark or black
[name_f]Deirdre[/name_f] - sorrowful
[name_f]Kali[/name_f] - black one
[name_f]Leila[/name_f] - darkness or night
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] - moon
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f] - knife

I’m really appreciating all these ideas. You guys are awesome!

I thought of Mania, which I think sort-of fits with Chaos. Plus, it’s pretty sounding.

Darkness names-

[name_f]Leila[/name_f]
[name_u]Blake[/name_u]
[name_f]Baize[/name_f]
[name_m]Cronan[/name_m]
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]
[name_m]Ciar[/name_m]
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] (can’t really see this on a god)
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Nisha[/name_f]
[name_m]Swain[/name_m]
[name_m]Ritter[/name_m]

You could even go for a name that is associated with an evil charecter, but not too heavily to be a problem.

Greek names-

[name_f]Pandora[/name_f]
Ageis
[name_m]Argus[/name_m]
[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]
[name_m]Calix[/name_m]
[name_f]Annys[/name_f]

[name_f]Lailah[/name_f] is the angel of darkness/night (Jewish angel)
Efah
[name_f]Cari[/name_f]
[name_f]Charna[/name_f]
[name_f]Melania[/name_f]
Nerezza
Sauda
[name_f]Maura[/name_f]
Semira
[name_m]Amaury[/name_m]
[name_u]Blake[/name_u]/[name_u]Blakely[/name_u]
[name_f]Kali[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Ebony[/name_f] would be the perfect choice - it means “black” (which you probably know) and always calls up images of blackness and destruction for me.

Other names that could work:
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] - (means “night”, is listed in “Bad Girl Names”)
[name_f]Nisha[/name_f] - (means “night”)
[name_f]Charna[/name_f] - (means “black” or “dark”)
[name_f]Kali[/name_f] - (means “black”)
[name_f]Peta[/name_f] - (means “black”)
[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] - (means “dark”)
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] - (means “moon”)
[name_f]Mika[/name_f] - (means “moon”)
[name_f]Livana[/name_f] - (means “moon”)
[name_f]Desdemona[/name_f] - (means “star”, plus cool Shakespearean connotation)
[name_f]Astra[/name_f] - (means “star”)
[name_f]Hester[/name_f] - (means “star”, plus cool literary connotation)
[name_u]Seren[/name_u] - (means “star”)
[name_f]Sidra[/name_f] - (means “star”)
[name_f]Vespera[/name_f] - (means “star”)

[name_f]Amaia[/name_f]/[name_f]Amaya[/name_f] (Means the End)
It’s the only name I can think of right now.