Naming miscarried baby

I just had my first miscarriage, after a third round of IVF (the first two gave me my 2 living kiddos).
As part of making it seem a little more real, my husband and I decided to name our unborn baby. We chose a gender-neutral name since we didn’t know baby’s sex yet. I just had to share it somewhere, you know?

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Ray[/name_u] :deciduous_tree: :sunny: :heart:

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] is an honor name for my grandmother, and my husband’s dad’s middle name is [name_u]Ray[/name_u]. [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] also means “little redhead” and our 2 other kids have reddish hair, so it seemed like a way to help us feel like baby is part of the family and not just a lost idea.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to share your stories and names too.

41 Likes

What a beautiful name for any gender. :heart: I’m so sorry for your loss—what love this post oozes.

3 Likes

So sorry for your loss, I love Rowan’s name and the sweet family ties. That fits perfectly and will forever be a sweet reminder.

3 Likes

Aw. So sorry for your loss :broken_heart: [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Ray[/name_u] is perfect.
We lost our fourth baby (first miscarriage) at 7 weeks in [name_u]March[/name_u]. I wanted to name the baby anyway, and then a friend who has had multiple losses told me she always encourages families to name their lost ones; it can be a way of claiming the baby as just as much your son or daughter as the living ones.
We call ours [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] :green_heart:

11 Likes

Thank you all :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@auroradawn I’m truly sorry for your loss as well. [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] is beautiful :green_heart:

3 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Ray[/name_u] is a beautiful choice.

I had a very early miscarriage at the start of last year. We refer to the child we lost as Gneisti, it’s Icelandic and means “spark” so it seemed rather fitting.

10 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss :white_heart:

Rowan Ray is such a lovely name :evergreen_tree:

I’ve experienced pregnancy loss and it’s horrible I’m so sorry you’ve gone through this.

I lost my first baby at 23 weeks + 6 days I named her Alexandra Ann. I was very young (had just turned 17) and her loss along with that relationship definitely shaped me.

I had an early miscarriage (around 8 weeks) in the summer of 2019. I never ‘officially’ named this baby as it was very early it felt so different to my experience with Alexandra. But I do remember associating the name Caroline with this loss I’m not completely sure why but I did make that connection.

Anyways wishing you all the best with your recovery and healing process

9 Likes

It is a wonderful name, truly. I am so sorry for your loss, and my heart goes out to everyone who has gone through a miscarriage. :heart:

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss, and I hope your physical recovery is going as well as possible. [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Ray[/name_u] is such a beautiful, warm name. :heart: :heart:

1 Like

What a beautiful name, and sorry for your loss.

We never officially named our baby we lost at 10w but they’re known and will always be known by the pet name we had for them.

1 Like

What a beautiful choice :two_hearts:
I find choosing a name very cathartic, I don’t share them with people in my life and hold the names close to my heart as a way to remember what I had for a little while. A name gives gravity and realness to the loss, a respect to the little soul that’s still waiting to be.

[name_f]My[/name_f] first loss was [name_f]Patience[/name_f], a reminder that my time will come and the Guns & Roses song [name_f]Patience[/name_f].
Second baby was [name_f]Opal[/name_f], they would’ve been due in [name_u]October[/name_u] so it’s the birthstone and I was watching little cutie [name_f]Opal[/name_f] on When Calls the [name_f]Heart[/name_f].
Third was [name_f]Hope[/name_f], a very early loss, needed the hope in the moment.
Fourth was [name_u]Haven[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u], my longest pregnancy, and a wish for them to find a safeness I couldn’t provide and a chance at rebirth, to try again.
Fifth was [name_u]Wren[/name_u], my little bird that flew away.

11 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Ray[/name_u] is a beautiful name. Sending love to you and your family :heart:.

1 Like