Naming Multiples

Multiples run in mine and my husbands family so it wasn’t shocking when we found that we were caring twins boys, and the 1 in 5 chance of having another set of multiples gave us the understanding that we might have another set, low and behold we are having boy/girl twins. Since fraternal twins are genetic we have probably more than our fair share of multiples in our families. Each parent has tackled the naming issue differently, but my question is, how would you name twins? Would you go matchy matchy, would you use the same initials or would you be totally separately?

This is how our multiples are named:

1. [name]Brianna[/name] [name]Paige[/name] (me) and [name]Austin[/name] [name]Lucas[/name] (in 20’s)
  2. [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Daniel[/name] and [name]Hailey[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (brother and sister) (in 20’s)
  3. [name]Caelan[/name] [name]Brock[/name] and [name]Carew[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name] (husband’s younger brothers) (in 20’s)
  4. [name]William[/name] [name]Bennett[/name] and [name]Alexander[/name] [name]Ephraim[/name] (my sons) (4)
  5. [name]Lilly[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] and [name]Grayson[/name] [name]Lucas[/name] (twin brother [name]Austin[/name]'s children) (almost 5)
    6 [name]Morgyn[/name] [name]Faith[/name] and [name]Jordyn[/name] [name]Hope[/name] (sil daughters) (2)

This is only my generation and younger, there are at least two sets per generation in my family and many in my husband’s family.
What would you name multiples if you had them? [name]Do[/name] you have multiples in your family? What are their names?

Your boys have really nice names. Have you picked names for these twins yet?

Twins do not run in my family at all. Infact, I dont know of a single pair and I’ve read pretty far back into my family history. For instance, my gradnfather was one of 13 kids, and not a single set of twins. The rest of my family history is pretty similar, lots of kids but no twin. My boyfriend doesnt have any twins in his family either that we know of (his dad was adopted by his step dad, so there could be twins there). My mom however was pregnant with twins when she was in her thirties, she ended up miscarrying though. I would suspect it was her age that caused a twin pregnancy, and not genetics.

If we had twins I would use non-matching names for sure. I wouldnt even consider names begining with the same sound.

I would probably do something like:
b/b:
[name]Andreas[/name] [name]Peter[/name] and [name]Mattias[/name] [name]Edgar[/name]/[name]Sebastian[/name] [name]Edgar[/name]/[name]Julian[/name] [name]Edgar[/name]
b/g:
[name]Andreas[/name] [name]Peter[/name] and [name]Cecily[/name] [name]Anna[/name]
g/g
[name]Cecily[/name] [name]Anna[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Renee[/name]/[name]Elodie[/name] [name]Renee[/name]

I like the idea of using names with the same meaning… Of course, I cant think of any examples of the top of my head… but I know nameberry did a blog about that…
I have twin cousins, [name]Brock[/name] [name]William[/name] & [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Douglas[/name], I always loved that pairing.

For me, twins names should be the same “length” For example, [name]Vivienne[/name] Marcheleine and [name]Knox[/name] [name]Leon[/name] bother me, because [name]Knox[/name] has 2 short names, while [name]Vivienne[/name] has 2 long names… Or if one twin has 2 middle names, and the other only has one… eeks

For you, definately dont do anything to matchy matchy because your first set of twins wasnt matchy.

Congrats!

Congrats on the twins [name]Brianna[/name]! I love your sons names. When are you due? What are you planning on naming your next 2?

I am also expecting twins but mine are most likely identical (they’re not sure if there is just the one placenta or 2 fused at the moment…). We have no history of twins in our family that I know of either and, similar to leah (but not quite as many as 13!), we have several members of the family with 6-8 kids.

My boys are to be named [name]William[/name] [name]Arden[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Kendell[/name]. We were going to use [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Piper[/name] for girls. They are joining older sister [name]Kaia[/name] [name]Felicity[/name]. I like non-matching names for twins but ones that roll off the tongue well when said together - basically the same as for any other sibling. We have chosen to use mine and my mothers maiden names as middles.

[name]Dahlia[/name]

Thanks for all the compliments on my sons names. We think [name]William[/name] and [name]Alexander[/name] are such handsome names.
For my new babies we are considering:

[name]Susannah[/name] [name]Jane[/name]/[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Jane[/name]/[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Hayden[/name]/[name]Sebastian[/name] [name]Hayden[/name]/[name]Tobias[/name] [name]Hayden[/name]

Like [name]Ephraim[/name] and [name]Bennett[/name], [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Hayden[/name] are important family names that we are so proud to be able to pass on. Obviously I would only use either [name]Susannah[/name] or [name]Sebastian[/name] because I agree that matching names for twins isn’t always nice.

I love thinking about twin names! Twins do run in my family- my aunt just had a set a little over a year ago and I am their God mother. After seeing how much work they are though I would reconsider my desire to have twins, except they’re still fun, so you never know. Anyway, twins in my family:

[name]Rhoda[/name] [name]Lynn[/name] and [name]Eric[/name] [name]Mitchell[/name] (born in 1960, my aunt and uncle)
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Frances[/name] and [name]Hudson[/name] [name]Hall[/name] (born in 2009, my cousin/god-children)
[name]Derek[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name] and [name]Lindsey[/name] [name]Storm[/name] ([name]Storm[/name]'s a family surname, born 1995, my cousins)
[name]Hannah[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Abigail[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (born 2003, second cousins)
[name]Steven[/name] and [name]Robert[/name] ([name]Bobby[/name]) (don’t know middles, born 1991, second cousins)

I like twin names that have a subtle link (like meaning), but aren’t matchy. I would avoid matching initials, but I think it’s nice when they are the same number of syllables and have similar background. If one has a nickname, I think it’s nice for the other to have one as well. And I think you can get matchy with the middles if you want- it’s a nice link. Like having the middles start with the same letter. I also saw someone mention anagram names, which I think is very cool- like [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Celia[/name] share all the same letters but are totally different in sound but work well together! My dream twin sets:

G/G
[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] and [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Jane[/name] ([name]Hattie[/name] and [name]Pippa[/name])
OR
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Juno[/name] [name]Madeline[/name]

B/G
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] and [name]Philippa[/name] [name]Patience[/name] ([name]Teddy[/name] and [name]Pippa[/name])
OR
[name]Bodhi[/name] [name]Atticus[/name] and [name]Juno[/name] [name]Anthea[/name]

B/B
[name]Thomas[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Shepherd[/name] [name]Davis[/name]

My mum is a fraternal twin and I also have twin cousins. I’ve always hoped that I’ll have twins one day!

My mum and her sister are:
[name]Jennifer[/name] and [name]Rosemary[/name] (no middle names)

My cousins are:
[name]Kate[/name] [name]Patricia[/name] and [name]Laura[/name] [name]Judith[/name]

If I ever have twins they’ll be:
[name]Elsa[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Cynthia[/name]
[name]Louis[/name] [name]Raymond[/name] and [name]Roscoe[/name] [name]Kevin[/name]

I have a set of twins, as well. My ex-husband and I have very different tastes in names, so we somehow came to the unspoken agreement that he would name one, and I the other. They ended up

[name]Dalton[/name] [name]Robert[/name] (He chose the first name, I chose the middle)
[name]Thomas[/name] [name]Bradley[/name] (I chose the first name, he chose the middle)

If it had been left to me, I would have chosen:
[name]Thomas[/name] [name]Reid[/name] & [name]Henry[/name] [name]Robert[/name]

If I had twins again they would be:
[name]Maisy[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] & [name]Bridget[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Maisy[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] & [name]Henry[/name] [name]Edward[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Edward[/name] & [name]Simon[/name] [name]Reid[/name]

i have friends who are Fraternal twins:
[name]Matthew[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] and [name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Daniel[/name]

My cousin and His wife have twin girls: [name]Ryleigh[/name] [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Reagan[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]

I don’t have any multiples in my family (and it’s a huge family, so it’s kind of surprising) but if I were naming twins or other multiples I’d purposely try to make them very different in sound and spelling. I might keep them in the same style and general popularity rank (so one or both don’t feel they got the “better” name), but I definitely would try to keep the sounds different. So I’d consider [name]Valentina[/name] and [name]Natalia[/name] but not Valentina and [name]Seraph[/name]ina or Valentina and Vittoria.
I think multiples share so much of their lives together (more than other siblings, parents, friends, and even spouses) that it’s extremely important to give them as much individuality as possible-including with their names.

I would love to give birth to twins! However, in my close family, their are non. My cousin just had identical twins names [name]Stefano[/name] and [name]Sylvester[/name].

If I had twins their names would be

[name]Wyatt[/name] [name]Jason[/name] and [name]Ash[/name] [name]Kristopher[/name]
[name]Finley[/name] [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Hermione[/name] (or [name]Emma[/name] [name]Rowan[/name] but if theyre twins Id like to stick with the theme)
[name]Wyatt[/name] [name]Jason[/name] and [name]Finley[/name] [name]Isabella[/name]

Thus far the multiples in my family have had matching initials and/or the same middle name:

[name]Richard[/name] [name]Melvin[/name], [name]Jr[/name]/[name]Robert[/name] [name]Melvin[/name] (40s, identical)
[name]Ashley[/name] [name]Vaughn[/name]/[name]Alexis[/name] [name]Vaughn[/name] (20s, identical)
[name]Ryan[/name] [name]Eric[/name]/[name]Rachael[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] (teens. Their father is a fraternal twin as well: [name]Kevin[/name] has a brother, [name]Kenny[/name])

If I ever have a set, I won’t purposely do the matching initials, but if it were coincidental I’d be fine with that. Maybe something like:
[name]Gillian[/name]/[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]/[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Gillian[/name]/[name]Hugh[/name]

[name]Alexis[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]! Your sons have great names - [name]William[/name] [name]Bennett[/name] and [name]Alexander[/name] [name]Ephraim[/name] are very handsome! I like your ideas for the babies, too!

As many Berries know, I’m an identical twin. I’m [name]Lauren[/name] [name]Elyse[/name], and my sister is [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Price[/name]. She has a family name; I do not. My mom has twins in her family - her twin cousins are [name]Larry[/name] and [name]Gary[/name], and her paternal grandmother, [name]Esther[/name], was a twin to [name]Lester[/name]. I know, I know - those two are horrible sets!

Anyway, if I had twins right this very second, I would name them as follows - names that match stylistically, but are distinct enough for each sibling:

GG [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name]
BB [name]Henry[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]James[/name]
GB [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] there. I’m pretty new here, figure this is a good place to introduce myself. I happen to be a twin and am expecting (a singleton) and have two sets of twins in my pool of nieces/nephews. Must be genetic! Your twins have great names :slight_smile: I have a twin sister, and though we aren’t identical, we do look very much alike and even as adults people confuse us (I get facebook messages all the time from people thinking I’m my sister!). My name is [name]Miriam[/name] [name]Ida[/name] (I go by [name]Mimi[/name]) and my sister is [name]Devorah[/name] [name]Betsy[/name]. I’ve always thought our names go well together, though we grew up in a pretty religious Jewish household, so that’s not that surprising, since all of our siblings have Hebrew names. Our middle names are our grandmother’s names, which I’ve always liked. My older brother has a set of fraternal twins, [name]Isaac[/name] [name]Noah[/name] and [name]Rueben[/name] [name]Elijah[/name], and my twin sister just had fraternal g/g twins earlier this summer, named [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Audrey[/name] [name]Ruth[/name].

Growing up I always liked that my sister and I had names that were different enough names, since so much about us was similar when we were kids. I would do the same if I had twins- use names of the same background/style but with different letters. I’m totally stuck on what to name this baby, so I can’t even think about what I’d name twins!

Twins run in my family, and in my husbands, so we’re definately thinking about this. Lol.

[name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Elenore[/name] and Williamena [name]Jane[/name] (93)
[name]Albert[/name] [name]William[/name] and [name]Michael[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] (90)
[name]Irene[/name] [name]Marie[/name] and [name]Joan[/name] (?) (87)
[name]Wesley[/name] [name]Michael[/name] and [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Issac[/name] (50s)
[name]Melissa[/name] [name]Karen[/name] and [name]Alexander[/name] [name]James[/name] (50s)
[name]Andrew[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] and [name]Paul[/name] [name]Francis[/name] (30s)
[name]Robert[/name] [name]Francis[/name] [name]Jr[/name]. and [name]Paul[/name] [name]William[/name] (18)
[name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Alyssa[/name] and [name]Jason[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] (15)
[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Danielle[/name] and [name]James[/name] [name]William[/name] (3)

xxnarixx: are they identical (obviously only the same sex ones) or fraternal? Fraternal are the only genetic ones, identical twins are a ‘fluke’.

First of all, I love your boys names and I like the options you are considering for the new twins. I love [name]Tobias[/name] and [name]Susannah[/name], [name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Henry[/name], and [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Sebastian[/name]

There are actually alot of moms expecting twins that frequent the boards! I’m due in [name]December[/name] w/ twin girls (don’t know if they are identical or fraternal yet - they have their own placentas and sacs, but could be an early split.) There are no twins anywhere in my family tree.

I fully admit my first instinct was to name twins w/ matching initials. This is how society sees twins and being someone who has VERY little experience even knowing twins, I fell into this. It’s easy for someone to jump to the conclusion that they’d want a “matchy” set of twins. However, when you are pregnant with twins and faced with the “do I really want my children growing up as [name]Brandan[/name] and [name]Brenda[/name]?” (aka the [name]Walsh[/name] twins from 90210). You have to really think about how this affects the children. So that’s why I came here.
At that point, I felt like I was having a B/G set and I loved the name [name]Irena[/name]. I picked [name]Jeffrey[/name] for her twin because they both meant “peace” – seemed perfect to me and definitely not outwardly matchy.

My girls are going to be named [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name]. The two names really don’t connect to each other except that they both have an O and an I in the middle in reverse order…though I did not pick them for that reason. I like how they are E&F instead of alot of twins being named A&B for their former in-womb assignments of [name]Baby[/name] A and [name]Baby[/name] B. My midwives and I call my babies baby E and baby F. :slight_smile:

I went to high school with twin girls named [name]Tristin[/name] & [name]Trista[/name]… seriosuly!

I would love to have twins one day! I have two daughters, [name]Makenna[/name] [name]Lauryn[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Kate[/name]. I have twin nephews,
[name]Grayson[/name] [name]Kale[/name] and [name]Luke[/name] [name]Issac[/name]. My other sis in law is also expecting twins! Too early yet to determine gender, but they like Morah and [name]Isla[/name] for girl names and [name]Malakai[/name] for a boy. If I had twins, I would name them:

[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Irene[/name] (mn family name) and Adilyn [name]Claire[/name] (Iprefer the nn [name]Adi[/name] to [name]Ady[/name]). No idea on boy names though…lol

Congrats on expecting twins again!!

2four1, only [name]Robert[/name] and [name]Paul[/name] are identical, all the others are fraternal.