Naming our third

I’m a long time nameberry follower, but it’s my first time posting so here’s a rundown on the naming of our three!

I have a trend 90’s name (Kelsey) and my husband has a classic, timeless name (Peter). When naming our kids, we’ve sought out names that are uncommon, but not unheard of.

Our oldest, [name_m]Obadiah[/name_m] Villanueva Topolski, will turn five at the end of [name_u]November[/name_u]. We wanted a Bible name, but also liked that it could be shortened to “Obi” for a fun [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars tie-in. I am half-Filipino and it is tradition in the Philippines to give the mother’s maiden name as a middle- this makes his name (and our other kids’) ridiculously long, but we love it anyway!

Our middle, [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] Villanueva Topolski turned three at the beginning of [name_u]November[/name_u]. We love that her name and my husband’s bring to mind “Beatrix Potter” and “Peter Rabbit.” [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite movie is also Kill [name_m]Bill[/name_m]- and if you know you know (!) Also [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is rife with good nicknames, but the one that’s stuck is “Bea” (we pronounce Bee-yuh").

Our third was the only one whose gender we waited until birth to find out which made naming a different process. The inability to officially choose a name beforehand gave us the feeling of having no idea who this baby would be while also feeling like the most exciting surprise ever. I was fairly certain throughout the pregnancy that she was a boy- and for the first time, my husband and I had trouble agreeing on a boy’s name. When looking at Polish names (our last name is very Polish as my husband’s grandparents immigrated from Poland) I discovered “Minka” and it was the only girl’s name we considered. It means “strong-willed warrior” or “with gilded helmet” and reminded us of the armor of God in the book of Ephesians. And “Min” fits in with three-letter nicknames we have for our other kids.
[name_f]Minka[/name_f] Villanueva Topolski was born on her due date: Halloween!

35 Likes

Congratulations and welcome! I love all the names you chose, and I’m especially tickled to see the adorable [name_f]Minka[/name_f] used :two_hearts:

1 Like

Congratulations! :tada: All your children have gorgeous names!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Oh how charming is her name :heart_eyes:

What a stunning set! [name_m]Obadiah[/name_m], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and [name_f]Minka[/name_f] are such a delight to see!!

2 Likes

Congratulations! Your children have really cool names :sunglasses:

1 Like

Minka is just the sweetest! Congratulations!

1 Like

congratulations! all your kids have stunning names!! welcome to the world, minka :heart:

1 Like

Congratulations! [name_f]Minka[/name_f] is beautiful

1 Like

[name_f]Minka[/name_f] is adorable congratulations!!

1 Like

Congratulations! [name_f]Minka[/name_f] is a lovely name :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Congratulations! [name_f]Welcome[/name_f] to the world [name_f]Minka[/name_f]

1 Like

Congratulations

1 Like