Naming two daughters!

I can’t find anything that works perfectly for the two daughters of some of my favorite characters, [name_m]Peter[/name_m] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] Strauss.

The girls will be born in 1888 and 1895 respectively, so of course it has to be used in the Victorian era.

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] is British (upper class); [name_m]Peter[/name_m] is [name_m]German[/name_m]- and Scottish-American. (His father was a [name_m]German[/name_m] immigrant.) [name_m]Peter[/name_m] would be likely to want something literary (inspired by [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m], Dickens, [name_f]Bronte[/name_f], [name_u]Austen[/name_u], [name_m]Sir[/name_m] [name_m]Walter[/name_m] [name_u]Scott[/name_u]). [name_f]Alice[/name_f] wouldn’t be okay with too much of a risk (e.g. [name_m]Peter[/name_m] would want [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] or [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], but [name_f]Alice[/name_f] wouldn’t let it happen). They might also lean toward a name with some kind of [name_u]Christian[/name_u] meaning.

They have an adopted daughter named [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u], but of course they didn’t get to choose her name. Sons would be [name_m]David[/name_m] [name_m]Philip[/name_m] (Biblical name + family name) and [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] (belonging to God + family name).

[name_u]Anne[/name_u]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]

1 Like

Anne
[name_f]Agatha[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Diane[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Helene[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_u]Lisa[/name_u]
[name_f]Linda[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]
[name_f]Mathilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilma[/name_f]

Thanks! I’m thinking about [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_f]Helen[/name_f], and [name_f]Caroline[/name_f].

My list right now is:

Adriana (Comedy of Errors)
[name_f]Celia[/name_f] (As You Like It)
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f] ([name_m]Othello[/name_m])
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] (…)
[name_f]Katherina[/name_f] (Taming of the Shrew)
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f] (The [name_u]Tempest[/name_u])
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] (Twelfth [name_u]Night[/name_u])
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] (As You Like It)
[name_f]Esther[/name_f] ([name_m]Peter[/name_m] would want [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] but …)
[name_u]Jael[/name_u] (more [name_m]Peter[/name_m])
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f] (Bible story that would appeal strongly to [name_m]Peter[/name_m])
[name_f]Eve[/name_f] (obviously)
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] (there is a perverse part of [name_m]Peter[/name_m] that feels sorry for [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] Bingley)
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] (P&P–also, his aunt’s name)
[name_f]Helen[/name_f] (of [name_m]Troy[/name_m])

I’m thinking [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] might work for one daughter, though I have no idea about a middle name (and they’d definitely do one). I’m learning toward something like [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] or [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] or … something that gives [name_m]Peter[/name_m] a little win … for the other, but I don’t know.

Now I’m thinking [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and Something [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]. I would do [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], actually, except it’s very similar to other names I’ve used.

What about…

Elizabeth and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_u]Democracy[/name_u] and [name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_f]Yui[/name_f] and [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and [name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] and [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_f]Tansy[/name_f]

LMK what you think!!

1 Like

Thanks! Right now I’m still stuck on [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] for the first daughter, but I’m liking a lot from your list for the second. I wanted to use [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] as a middle name – possibly [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]? [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]? [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]? I’m not sure if either of those sound right, but I like the idea of them a lot! Especially [name_f]Daisy[/name_f].

1 Like

Olivia [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is pretty!

Lucy [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] - for the dad’s literature association ([name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_u]Pevensie[/name_u] from [name_f]Narnia[/name_f])
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] - adorable!!!

1 Like

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] ([name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] and Pride and Prejudice)
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] (all from Pride and Prejudice)
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] (From [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u]’s [name_f]Emma[/name_f])
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] (after [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Bronte[/name_f])
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] ( this is from Twelfth [name_u]Night[/name_u]. It’s a little more risky but I really do love this name.)
[name_f]Helen[/name_f] (from [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f])
[name_u]Anne[/name_u] (form Persuasion and also [name_m]Richard[/name_m] III)
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] (As You Like It. You could call her [name_f]Rose[/name_f])
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f] ([name_m]Othello[/name_m])
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f] (the sweet younger sister In the taming of the shrew)
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] ([name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Lear[/name_m])
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f] ( The [name_u]Tempest[/name_u])
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] ([name_m]Little[/name_m] Women)
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] ( After [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_u]Alcott[/name_u])
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] (Much [name_f]Ado[/name_f] About Nothing)
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f] (from [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] by [name_m]Charles[/name_m] Dickens)

Hopes this sparks some creativity! Good luck. (I’d love to know what you pick :blush:)

1 Like

I love [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]!

1 Like

Thanks so much! That’s a great list. I’m doing [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] Strauss (Twelfth [name_u]Night[/name_u] + family name) for daughter #1, but my short list for #2 is:

Daisy [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] Strauss
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] Strauss
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] Strauss
and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] Strauss

I feel like [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], despite being such an excellent reference, is going to lose because of the repetitive endings with [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] or [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] sounds best, but I can just see a little [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] …

I also considered [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] (and several others, haha!), but [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] seems like to much for Mom to agree to, no matter how much Dad wanted it, and “[name_f]Bee[/name_f]” is a nickname Dad uses for [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], so that sort of puts [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] in a “no” spot for me.

I like [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] the best too. (And [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] would be a little nod to queen victoria.) They are both great names. Good luck!

1 Like