Narrowing the Name List-Would love some feedback!

I’m so excited I found a place where people share my strong affinity for names! I was one of those little girls buying name books in the grocery store as early as 7. Now, after all these years, imagine my excitement when my husband said to me two nights ago…“Make a name list and I’ll pick my favorites, and you’ll pick yours.” I WAS ELATED! haha So, I quickly compiled a list of 25 girls and 25 boys names. Then, the hard part–we each chose our top 5.

My top 5 girls names (as of a couple days ago, it changes!)
[name]Julietta[/name] (nn jetta)
[name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name] (nn rory)
[name]Sadie[/name]
Top 5 boys:
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Kameron[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Ansel[/name]
[name]Leyton[/name]

Husband’s faves:
Girls: [name]Ellery[/name], [name]Rory[/name], [name]Elsie[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Selah[/name]
Boys: [name]Kameron[/name], [name]Elias[/name], [name]Leyton[/name], [name]Vincent[/name], [name]Atticus[/name], [name]Liam[/name] (yes he chose 6)

Now, I obsess over names…and so I haven’t been able to come up with combinations I really like. We have a one syllable last name which leads me to choosing names with 3, at least 2, syllables. I can’t think of any middle names for girls that I like (I like using family names or something really beautiful and feminine in the middle) and I like too many boys names to narrow it down…I would really appreciate any feedback anyone has on how my husband and I can get any closer to actually choosing a name for the baby we hope to have someday :slight_smile:

Thanks!

[name]Hi[/name]! From your lists, it looks like the names you and your husband agree on are:

Girls: [name]Alexandra[/name] and possibly [name]Aurora[/name] ([name]Rory[/name])
Boys: [name]Kameron[/name], [name]Leyton[/name], and [name]Liam[/name]

Since your last name is one syllable, I would suggest going with the longer names that you both like: [name]Alexandra[/name] and [name]Kameron[/name]. These are great names! However, if you would consider the spelling [name]Cameron[/name], it is less likely to be misspelled than [name]Kameron[/name].)

For middle names, what family names are you most interested in using?

[name]Julietta[/name] (nn jetta): [name]Juliet[/name] is one of my favorite names, so I think this is pretty… (I’m not sure about the [name]Jetta[/name] nickname, though, because it’s the name of a car.)

[name]Alexandra[/name]: I like [name]Alexandra[/name] a lot, and so does your husband!

[name]Lydia[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Lydia[/name]!

[name]Aurora[/name] (nn rory): I think that [name]Aurora[/name] is beautiful, and it’s great that if you use this name, you can have [name]Aurora[/name] and he can have [name]Rory[/name]!

[name]Sadie[/name]: I think that [name]Sadie[/name] is sweet…

Top 5 boys:

[name]Liam[/name]: I think it’s handsome…

[name]Kameron[/name]: I like [name]Cameron[/name] with a C, but the K spelling looks trendy to me.

[name]Elliot[/name]: [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]!

[name]Ansel[/name]: I think it’s a great name…

[name]Leyton[/name]: Because I’ve heard it on girls ([name]Leighton[/name] Meester comes to mind), I like some of the others more.

From your list, my favorites are [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Elliot[/name] .

Husband’s faves:
Girls: [name]Ellery[/name], [name]Rory[/name], [name]Elsie[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Selah[/name]

[name]Ellery[/name]: I can see its appeal, but I like some of the other names more…

[name]Rory[/name]: I think it’s really cute…

[name]Elsie[/name]: I like it a lot, but it feels like a nickname to me for [name]Elsa[/name].

[name]Alexandra[/name]: Yea! A match with your list!

[name]Selah[/name]: I like some of the other names more…

Boys: [name]Kameron[/name], [name]Elias[/name], [name]Leyton[/name], [name]Vincent[/name], [name]Atticus[/name], [name]Liam[/name] (yes he chose 6)

[name]Elias[/name]: One of my all-time favorites!

[name]Vincent[/name]: I think it’s really handsome…

[name]Atticus[/name]: [name]LOVE[/name]!

I really, really love [name]Elias[/name], [name]Atticus[/name], and [name]Vincent[/name].

I love the vintage names on your list. :slight_smile:

Because you both like [name]Rory[/name] and [name]Alexandra[/name], what about [name]Rory[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]? You both like [name]Liam[/name] and [name]Alexandra[/name], so what about [name]Liam[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]?

Because you both like [name]Eli[/name] names, [name]Elias[/name] or [name]Elliot[/name] seem like great choices.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Well, looks like you guys agree on a fair amount of names!

From your girl list, I love [name]Lydia[/name] - it is my favorite girl name, and I adore its quirky flavor and feminine, sophisticated melody. I also like [name]Sadie[/name], especially as a nickname for [name]Sarah[/name]. [name]Julietta[/name] is alright, but the nickname “[name]Jetta[/name]” only reminds me of the car - I really prefer [name]Juliet[/name]. [name]Alexandra[/name] is blah to me at this point, and though I love its meaning and its nickname, [name]Aurora[/name] seems difficult to say!

I prefer your names to your husband’s choices for girls, honestly.

From your husband’s boy list, I love [name]Elias[/name], with the [name]Eli[/name] nickname - it is handsome, traditional, and unique. I also love [name]Atticus[/name], especially with the literary connection! I love both of these with [name]Lydia[/name], too!

So, I would choose [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Elias[/name] [name]Vincent[/name] for a girl and boy!

My top 5 girls names (as of a couple days ago, it changes!)
[name]Julietta[/name] (nn jetta) - [name]Julietta[/name] is rather lovely. I’ve also seen [name]Julieta[/name], with just one ‘T’. I think I prefer [name]Juliet[/name]/ [name]Juliette[/name] a bit more, but I really do like it. Not sure that I like the nickname [name]Jetta[/name], though.
[name]Alexandra[/name] - [name]Alexandra[/name] is so pretty. (: I really do like it, and I also like other similar names ([name]Alexandrine[/name], for instance) and I find it super lovely.
[name]Lydia[/name] - [name]Lydia[/name] is rather pretty. (: However, I do think that it could be one to get popular.
[name]Aurora[/name] (nn rory) - Pretty, but quite princess-y still to me. [name]Aurore[/name] is the French version of [name]Aurora[/name], I believe, which you also might like. I dislike [name]Rory[/name], though.
[name]Sadie[/name] - [name]Sadie[/name] is darling! :3 We have a dog named [name]Sadie[/name], and she is SO sweet, so I love it.
Top 5 boys:
[name]Liam[/name] - I adore [name]Liam[/name]. It’s very strong to me, and it reminds me of all the ‘[name]Leo[/name]’ names I like so much.
[name]Kameron[/name] - I dislike [name]Cameron[/name], and so the ‘K’ is very trendy and off to me. Sorry. :confused:
[name]Elliot[/name] - I like [name]Elliot[/name]. I had a male character by that name once, I believe.
[name]Ansel[/name] - I think it a bit strange. I kind of like it, though.
[name]Leyton[/name] - Seems trendy to me. Sorry.

Husband’s faves:
Girls: [name]Ellery[/name], [name]Rory[/name], [name]Elsie[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Selah[/name] - I prefer [name]Elle[/name] to [name]Ellery[/name]. I dislike [name]Rory[/name]. [name]Elsie[/name] is decent. [name]Alexandra[/name] is lovely. [name]Selah[/name] is okay.
Boys: [name]Kameron[/name], [name]Elias[/name], [name]Leyton[/name], [name]Vincent[/name], [name]Atticus[/name], [name]Liam[/name] - [name]Kameron[/name] seems trendy. [name]Elias[/name] is okay; prefer [name]Silas[/name]. [name]Vincent[/name] is great. [name]Atticus[/name] would be cool if not for popularity. [name]Liam[/name] is great.

Here are some combo suggestions:
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Annabel[/name]/ [name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Alexandrine[/name]
[name]Julietta[/name] [name]Marianne[/name]
[name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Hildegarde[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Jacqueline[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Selah[/name] [name]Andromeda[/name]
[name]Elsie[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]

Since there are already a couple of names you both love it seems you shouldn’t have too much trouble with picking a name.

I think of your overlapping names the longer ones would sound best with a one sylable surname although they could all work.
[name]Alexandra[/name] and [name]Aurora/name don’t flow together (too many As and both end the same way) so whichever you picked you’d have to find a new middle name but the boys work fine. (Although I really don’t like [name]Cameron[/name] with a K. It looks so trendy and tacky. I don’t think it will age well for him)

[name]Cameron[/name] [name]Leyton[/name]
[name]Liam[/name] [name]Cameron[/name]
[name]Liam[/name] [name]Leyton[/name]

If you have any family names that you would like for middles then please let us know and don’t worry, people here will be more than glad to come up with a million combinations for you.

[name]Julietta[/name] - nice, I prefer [name]Julia[/name]
[name]Alexandra[/name] - lovely, I really like it
[name]Lydia[/name] - very nice
[name]Aurora[/name] - very nice
[name]Sadie[/name] - cute but not my favorite
[name]Liam[/name] - OK
[name]Kameron[/name] - I don’t like the name, even spelled [name]Cameron[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name] - gorgeous, lovely
[name]Ansel[/name] - nice
[name]Leyton[/name] - prefer [name]Layton[/name], nice
[name]Ellery[/name] - not my style
[name]Rory[/name] - very cute, but I prefer it as a nickname for [name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Elsie[/name] - too nickname-ish
[name]Alexandra[/name] - love it
[name]Selah[/name] - very nice
[name]Kameron[/name] - I really despise the spelling, sorry
[name]Elias[/name] - gorgeous
[name]Leyton[/name] - nice
[name]Vincent[/name] - this is such a great name!
[name]Atticus[/name] - gorgeous
[name]Liam[/name] - OK
I’d go [name]Alexandra[/name] and [name]Leyton/name, since those are the names you agree on and they’re great. Good luck!

[name]Julietta[/name] (nn jetta)- I like a simpler [name]Juliette[/name] or [name]Julianna[/name]. I love the nn [name]Jette[/name] or Liette! Possible middle names- Esmeretta, [name]Annaliese[/name], [name]Cherise[/name], [name]Aurielle[/name], [name]Bethanie[/name], [name]Evelyn[/name], [name]Janelle[/name].
[name]Alexandra[/name]- A solid name, but unfortunate nn, [name]Alex[/name], I think you like more femme names, [name]Alex[/name] would be a deal breaker for me and trust me, it will happen. Possible middle names- Elsye, [name]Jane[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name].
[name]Lydia[/name]- I like [name]Lydia[/name], though I think this is one of those names where if you can’t pull it off it comes short. The plus of this name- so many middle name choices! I don’t think you can go wrong with [name]Lydia[/name].
[name]Aurora[/name] (nn rory)- one of my favorite names. I am having a hard time with a middle name for this little angel, nothing seems to fit, I can’t wait to see what feedback you get!
[name]Sadie[/name]- [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Sadie[/name] married lady. Gotta love this name! I think [name]Sadie[/name] would make a lovely middle name for any of your favorites! Possible middle names- [name]Tallulah[/name], I think [name]Sadie[/name] [name]Tallulah[/name] is just darling!
Top 5 boys:
[name]Liam[/name]- [name]Love[/name] [name]Liam[/name], it really balances smart, sophisticated, handsome and gentlemanly. It’s all good for [name]Liam[/name]. Possible middle names- [name]Jude[/name], [name]Samson[/name], [name]Riley[/name], [name]Cameron[/name], [name]Angel[/name], [name]Augie[/name], [name]Royce[/name], [name]Kale[/name].
[name]Kameron[/name]- I prefer the C spelling, though it’s all just personal preference. Not a huge fan
[name]Elliot[/name]- Good name, no good nn’s.
[name]Ansel[/name]- I don’t like [name]Ansel[/name], I think [name]Angel[/name] makes a great guys name however!
[name]Leyton[/name]- I see this as femme.

Husband’s faves:
Girls: [name]Ellery[/name]- Celery, not good!
[name]Rory[/name]- [name]Aurora[/name] would be a good compromise!
[name]Elsie[/name]- I think [name]Elsie[/name] is the best of all worlds, much like [name]Liam[/name]! Possible middle names- [name]Lorraine[/name], [name]Jennifer[/name], [name]Maureen[/name], [name]Melissa[/name], [name]Marjorie[/name], Maurgerite, [name]Josette[/name], [name]Ellen[/name].
[name]Alexandra[/name],
[name]Selah[/name]- I love this name as well, I can see no negative connotations. I think flower middle names work very well with this name! [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Tulip[/name], [name]Hyacinth[/name], [name]Marigold[/name], [name]Lilly[/name], [name]Blossom[/name].
Boys: [name]Kameron[/name],
[name]Elias[/name]- One of my absolute favorite names, it’s on my list!
[name]Leyton[/name],
[name]Vincent[/name]- A good name, but I don’t like [name]Vinnie[/name] at all
[name]Atticus[/name]- I think this is a fabulous middle name! Creativity within middle names is encouraged in my books!
[name]Liam[/name] (yes he chose 6)

If I had to choose a boy and a girl using names from your lists I would have to go with [name]Liam[/name] [name]Elias[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name] [name]Julietta[/name]. I think they go well together and stand alone wonderfully! [name]Happy[/name] naming!

My overall reaction?

I also prefer your choices for girls, though to be honest, his are a bit more interesting. Your nicknames really work for me. [name]Both[/name] sort of reverse the feel of their names: [name]Aurora[/name] is flowy and princess-y, the unisex [name]Rory[/name] brings it down to earth. [name]Julietta[/name] is also ultra-feminine, while [name]Jetta[/name] is much punchier while staying female.

I just had a weird vision: rich, glamorous [name]Aurora[/name] and [name]Julietta[/name] turn into action-heroine buddy team [name]Rory[/name] and [name]Jetta[/name]!

[name]Both[/name] of your sets for boys feel rather trendy.

I love your names!
My favorite girls names:
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Elsie[/name]
My favorite boys names:
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

As far as names go, you have a few on the list you both like:
GIRLS: [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Aurora[/name]/[name]Rory[/name]
BOY: [name]Liam[/name], [name]Kameron[/name], [name]Leyton[/name], [name]Elliot[/name]/[name]Elias[/name] (similar)

I think you should work from there. My personal faves are [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Aurora[/name], and I love the nn [name]Rory[/name], for girls; [name]Liam[/name] and [name]Atticus[/name] for a boy.

Some combos I like (using the names you listed):

[name]Aurora[/name] [name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name] [name]Selah[/name]
[name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Julietta[/name] [name]Elsie[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Ellery[/name]

[name]Liam[/name] [name]Kameron[/name]
[name]Liam[/name] [name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Leyton[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name] [name]Ansel[/name]
[name]Kameron[/name] [name]Elias[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name] [name]Vincent[/name]

Good luck :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] about these combinations:
Girls–
[name]Rory[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Juliette[/name]

Boys–
[name]Liam[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Cameron[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Cameron[/name] [name]Leyton[/name]

Wow! Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate everyone’s feedback–it really helps me think through some of our choices. To answer some of your questions and give you a little more insight into this crazy name game my husband has me obsessed with…

[name]Alexandra[/name] was NEVER on my list in all my life until last week. We were both laying in bed and randomly he says, “I like the name [name]Alexandra[/name].” WEIRD! BECAUSE I was seriously just thinking about that name. I therefore put it on our list because of this strange “coincidence”. Husband likes “[name]Allie[/name]” for short, I don’t like any of its nicknames really…

I really like the name [name]Rory[/name], but a lot of people keep telling me how hard it is to say…will my baby even be able to pronounce her name? It might be cute trying to hear her say it as a toddler though…

[name]Jetta[/name] is a fading phase. Still love [name]Julietta[/name] though.

I get a lot of positive vibes with [name]LYDIA[/name], but my husband told me he absolutely hates it :frowning:

[name]Selah[/name] is not working for me, [name]Ellery[/name] is only OK (made the list because of sentimental meaning of dear friend with this name), I think [name]ELSIE[/name] is very pretty, but it makes me think of [name]KELSIE[/name] (blech). [name]SADIE[/name]-still like it, but as a nn and not a full name. [name]Ever[/name] heard SADIDA? is that weird?

Status of the boys list…
[name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]! ALSO [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Eli[/name]…suppose I could go with [name]Elias[/name]. I love the meaning of these names, too. Meanings are semi-important to me. [name]KAMERON[/name]…looks like that’s getting booted, haha. This one was also chosen as a namesake. My husband and I both have K names, so when I met a [name]Kameron[/name] with a K a couple weeks ago, I thought it was cute. Phase. (I have so many name phases!!! I’m afraid I’ll accidently name my baby during a phase and hate it later)
Now…[name]LEYTON[/name]. Not my fave, but I like it & husband will not let it go. Got it from his favorite tennis player [name]Leyton[/name] [name]Hewitt[/name].
[name]LIAM[/name] is a great name to me (a little discouraged because 2 friends recently used this name) nonethless…it’s the irish form of [name]WILLIAM[/name]. (My family has 4 generations of williams going on!) I like [name]LIAM[/name] [name]PATRICK[/name] ([name]Patrick[/name] also a family name of late uncle). I married into a [name]German[/name] family though and wish I had my maiden name ([name]REILLY[/name]) to use instead, haha.

Family names I like for mn: [name]James[/name]

Wow! Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate everyone’s feedback–it really helps me think through some of our choices. To answer some of your questions and give you a little more insight into this crazy name game my husband has me obsessed with…

[name]Alexandra[/name] was NEVER on my list in all my life until last week. We were both laying in bed and randomly he says, “I like the name [name]Alexandra[/name].” WEIRD! BECAUSE I was seriously just thinking about that name. I therefore put it on our list because of this strange “coincidence”. Husband likes “[name]Allie[/name]” for short, I don’t like any of its nicknames really…

I really like the name [name]Rory[/name], but a lot of people keep telling me how hard it is to say…will my baby even be able to pronounce her name? It might be cute trying to hear her say it as a toddler though…

[name]Jetta[/name] is a fading phase. Still love [name]Julietta[/name] though.

I get a lot of positive vibes with [name]LYDIA[/name], but my husband told me he absolutely hates it :frowning:

[name]Selah[/name] is not working for me, [name]Ellery[/name] is only OK (made the list because of sentimental meaning of dear friend with this name), I think [name]ELSIE[/name] is very pretty, but it makes me think of [name]KELSIE[/name] (blech). [name]SADIE[/name]-still like it, but as a nn and not a full name. [name]Ever[/name] heard SADIDA? is that weird?

Status of the boys list…
[name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]! ALSO [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Eli[/name]…suppose I could go with [name]Elias[/name]. I love the meaning of these names, too. Meanings are semi-important to me. [name]KAMERON[/name]…looks like that’s getting booted, haha. This one was also chosen as a namesake. My husband and I both have K names, so when I met a [name]Kameron[/name] with a K a couple weeks ago, I thought it was cute. Phase. (I have so many name phases!!! I’m afraid I’ll accidently name my baby during a phase and hate it later)
Now…[name]LEYTON[/name]. Not my fave, but I like it & husband will not let it go. Got it from his favorite tennis player [name]Leyton[/name] [name]Hewitt[/name].
[name]LIAM[/name] is a great name to me (a little discouraged because 2 friends recently used this name) nonethless…it’s the irish form of [name]WILLIAM[/name]. (My family has 4 generations of williams going on!) I like [name]LIAM[/name] [name]PATRICK[/name] ([name]Patrick[/name] also a family name of late uncle). I married into a [name]German[/name] family though and wish I had my maiden name ([name]REILLY[/name]) to use instead, haha.

Family names I like for a mn: [name]James[/name], [name]Patrick[/name], [name]Kurtis[/name], [name]Malcolm[/name]…Stuck on girls…[name]Jean[/name] (don’t like it much, but it has a long history), [name]Kathleen[/name], [name]Cecilia[/name] or [name]Dolores[/name] ([name]DEE[/name] for short) I can’t pair these well with anything! (Esp hard because I don’t like on syllable names!!!)

Today, I’m loving: [name]Elliot[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Liam[/name] [name]Patrick[/name]…[name]Julietta[/name] something…and I guess I better just have boys…haha

Thanks again everyone :slight_smile: