Natural nicknames for Genevieve in 2024?

[name_m]Just[/name_m] wondering what a natural nickname for [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] would be in this day and age! I know you can’t always choose what your kids end up going by, so even if I were to name my future daughter this and prefer a specific nickname, wanted to be aware of what her name might get naturally shortened to in school, etc. [name_m]Or[/name_m] do you think it’s possible to just be called [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] without a natural shortening? It seems long enough that nicknames are inevitable, and with so many options, just hard to know what might be the current go-to, since a lot of nickname tendencies change with time.

[name_f]Gen[/name_f]? [name_f]Genny[/name_f]? [name_f]Genna[/name_f]? [name_f]Ginny[/name_f]? [name_f]Eve[/name_f]? [name_f]Evie[/name_f]? [name_f]Gigi[/name_f]? G?

TIA!

1 Like

I think the natural shortening would be [name_f]Gen[/name_f] or maybe G or [name_f]Gigi[/name_f], since I’d say “first syllable” nicknames are still the default unless otherwise stated. But I don’t think people would start calling her exclusively by a nickname unless she introduced herself that way.

I think you could use any of the nicknames you listed (as well as Vieve, [name_f]Vivi[/name_f], Vee, or Nev) without an issue.

I also think [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] could totally say she prefers her full name and ask people not to use nicknames. However, I would expect people might still say things like “Hey [name_f]Gen[/name_f], can you hand me that pencil?” in casual conversation (but then would still refer to her as [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] most of the time). Plus, this would depend on how your future daughter feels, and if she did prefer her full name over any of the nickname options.

1 Like

for me a natural nickname would be [name_f]Neve[/name_f] actually. I can see [name_f]Evie[/name_f] working a bit better though

1 Like

The young Genevieves I know all go by their full name with the occasional [name_f]Gen[/name_f] or [name_f]Genny[/name_f] in casual situations. I could also see Vieve or [name_f]Viv[/name_f] being intuitive as well.

1 Like

I personally adore [name_f]Eve[/name_f] / [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] for [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and think you can get away with them easily, but I think the most natural, go to nicknames, would probably be [name_f]Gen[/name_f] / [name_f]Genny[/name_f] / [name_f]Genna[/name_f].

I know a lil [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] who just goes by [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] despite its length, so a [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] could most certainly just go by [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] if that’s what she prefers too! It just takes a quick “I don’t use a nickname” to set people straight when they insist on one.

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] natural shortening would be [name_f]Gen[/name_f] or [name_f]Genny[/name_f]. But I’ve been a [name_f]Jenny[/name_f] fan since childhood. If she were my daughter, I think I would often call her by her full name, though. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is just so pretty!

1 Like

The first nicknames that comes to my mind is [name_f]Viv[/name_f] / Vieve. I think [name_f]Gen[/name_f], [name_f]Genny[/name_f], [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] and [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] are also very intuitive.

1 Like

I think it’s possible to be called just [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], but [name_f]Gigi[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f], and [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] are all nicknames I could see on a young girl.

1 Like

There’s a teen [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] where I work who gets called her full name though I’ve heard a few of her friends call her ‘Gen’ - but she’s mostly [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f].

I do think ‘Gen’ will be a go to, just because it’s the first syllable, but I also think [name_f]Evie[/name_f] could catch on, given its popularity (I know a fair few Amelias who go by [name_f]Mia[/name_f] so I think it could work a bit like that - a familiar short name even if it might not be the most obvious shortening)

1 Like

I fear that [name_f]Gen[/name_f] is the most likely one. [name_m]Just[/name_m] like [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] usually shortens to [name_f]Jen[/name_f]. I personally dislike [name_f]Gen[/name_f] and [name_f]Jen[/name_f] so wouldn’t be too happy about that. [name_f]Gennie[/name_f] will probably also happen a lot. [name_f]Genna[/name_f] only, when you introduce her as [name_f]Genna[/name_f] from the beginning.

[name_f]Ginny[/name_f] seems like a stretch because [name_f]Gennie[/name_f] is right there. [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] doesn’t feel natural because it doesn’t start with Gi-, neither does G.

I think you could establish [name_f]Eve[/name_f] or [name_f]Evie[/name_f] if you tried early enough, but then again, you might just as well choose [name_f]Eve[/name_f] which is a full name and the more obvious choice to get both [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and [name_f]Evie[/name_f].

I would also see Vee or V happening, but not sure, as usually it is derived from the first syllable (the nickname, that is).

1 Like

Tbh I’m not sure, but [name_f]Evie[/name_f] feels most likely to me? [name_m]Or[/name_m] Gen/Genny… but with [name_f]Jen[/name_f] so tied to the 70s-90s, with [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] and [name_f]Jenna[/name_f], I would think people would stray from [name_f]Gen[/name_f]. I could be wrong though?

1 Like

I’d probably think of Gen, Genna, Neve, or Evie first! I also think Gigi and Vivi/Vivie could be adorable!

I’ve used the name Genevieve “Gemma” in a story as well if that helps.

1 Like

Thanks all! [name_m]Super[/name_m] helpful!

Quick 1 cent: I like [name_f]Gen[/name_f], [name_f]Neve[/name_f] or even Vieve or Veevie (more so than [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] - where pn Vivvy). A stretchy one might be [name_m]Ever[/name_m].

1 Like