Need a sanity check here....

So we are closing in. [name_u]Everett[/name_u]'s twin baby sisters will be here in one month (or less)!

One of them is [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. The other - [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] or [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f].

We have run the pro/con lists & debated back & forth. We are solidly on the fence.

But here are our major concerns about each:

[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - is it too popular? There are lots of little [name_u]Lexie[/name_u]'s out there now with the ongoing popularity of [name_u]Alexis[/name_u]. Does it match the other two vintage choices that were popular 100 years ago?

[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] - checks the vintage box, but does it just feel too ‘old lady’ still? And is it equally “weighted” to [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]?

Seriously, folks, our heads are spinning. Need a sanity check on this one & appreciate all feedback!

I prefer [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]

I don’t think you can go wrong either way! [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] are both beautiful names. I personally like [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] a little more than [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and enjoy that the twins would each have nine letter names, but I also think [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] is a better style match with [name_u]Everett[/name_u] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], and it’s fun that they would all have “v” in their names. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think you’ll have more children in the future? If you do, I think I would go with [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], which would break up the “v” pattern and not make you feel like you have to stick with strictly vintage names for sibset cohesion. If not, then I would go complete the “v” and vintage theme with [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f].

[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] is common… way to popular for my taste but its a classic and has so many nickname options. I know a lot of people who love it.

My preference is [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]. I swoon over a little [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and I think its totally due for a recurrence.

[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] had never been one of my favorites, so I would pick [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f].

thanks so much for the input. these two little ones will definitely be our last babies, so no need to continue finding more ‘v’ options if we choose sylvia. i do agree with all the comments…alexandra has the same # of letters & multiple nicknames, but sylvia has that vintage flair.

but i thought about something today that might check both boxes - long & vintage…josephine. genevieve & josephine…thoughts?

[name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] gets my vote here! Such very beautiful names, both as a group and separately. :slight_smile:

These are my thoughts:
Option GA: [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - balanced in terms of length, but also quite different in sound, looks, and even style to an extent (what with [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] being rather popular now).

Option GS: [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] - very balanced in terms of sound, looks, style, and they flow so well wonderfully together.
Plus, [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]? This would be SO sweet!

“[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - is it too popular? There are lots of little [name_u]Lexie[/name_u]'s out there now with the ongoing popularity of [name_u]Alexis[/name_u].”
~I think that is perhaps an issue here - she would bump into many fellow [name_u]Alex[/name_u]'s/[name_u]Lexi/name_u’s, etc, while her twin won’t simultaneously bump into lots of Genevieves! (Beautiful and all as it is, [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]'s popularity is a slight drawback.)

“Does it match the other two vintage choices that were popular 100 years ago?”
~[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] does match in a historical viewpoint, but I would also say that today [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] instantly sounds more ‘modern’ than [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], due to all the young Alexandras/Alexas/[name_u]Alex[/name_u]'s.

“[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] - checks the vintage box, but does it just feel too ‘old lady’ still?”
~ It is absolutely not, in any way, too ‘old lady’!

“And is it equally “weighted” to [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]?”
Definitely.

Option GJ: [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] - Would they become [name_f]Jenny[/name_f] & [name_u]Josie[/name_u]? [name_u]Gene[/name_u] and [name_u]Jo[/name_u]?!
I can definitely see why this pairing appeals to you, but … Please don’t go with this option! If I was the twin named [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], I would be so, so jealous of my twin’s name, haha! I also think they are just a little too alike in sound; too “matchy”, if you will. I like the slight contrast the other options provide, and I believe it’s nice for twins to be truly individual, names and all.

So! I think [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] flows so well with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] (and [name_u]Everett[/name_u]), I love this sibset, and the “v” connection. [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] would be my second choice.

(I just thought, do you maybe also like the sound of [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]? [name_m]Just[/name_m] another idea! Both girls’ names would be [name_m]French[/name_m], the three names have V in them, and I think they sound lovely together. But maybe you’re not a fan of [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]!)

I hope this is helpful, I know I’ve written a slightly lengthy response. Best of luck deciding - let us know what you choose!

Firstly, Congratulations!
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is [name_f]LOVELY[/name_f]. with it I prefer [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f].

i [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] long replies!!! thanks for the help!

I agree with what you’re saying about option ‘GA’ (I’m totally robbing your acronyms!). Although we both love these names both individually & together, I worry about the day to day life aspect of meeting lots of [name_u]Lexie[/name_u]'s & no little [name_f]Evie[/name_f]/[name_f]Gen[/name_f]/[name_u]Nev[/name_u]/etc. I’m almost ready to scratch this option off.

Option “GJ” - agree that we begin to push the cutesy envelope a bit past my comfort zone. And I wonder if J would continually fight to NOT be called [name_u]Jo[/name_u]/[name_u]Josie[/name_u] for the rest of her life. I have a friend named [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], and every…single…day… she has to correct people that she is NOT [name_u]Steph[/name_u]. I worry that [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] might face the same.

Option “GS” - growing on me every single day. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the sound. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the vintage flair & the shared ‘v’ with her siblings. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the meaning (we’re outdoorsy types). Works great with the last name. I think it’s the visual that’s bugging me. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] just looks huge next to [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]. But I do believe they should be individuals separate from one another, so maybe the names don’t have to look parallel. “GS” is definitely still on the list.

And your final suggestion - [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]. swoon I [name_f]ADORE[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]. After we fell in love with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], our first thoughts were [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] & [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]. (my name is [name_m]French[/name_m] as well). But there are LOTS of little [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]'s where we live. So that got crossed off. And [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]…sadly…we had crossed it off the list because of the last name - starts with an “N.” Let’s just randomly pick an N last name for experimenting…[name_m]Nesbit[/name_m]. [name_m]Say[/name_m] “[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_m]Nesbit[/name_m]” over & over. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you lose the -enne sound on [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]? Does it turn into [name_f]Vivia[/name_f] [name_m]Nesbit[/name_m] on the ear? Obviously there’s the possibility that she only uses her birth last name for the first chunk of her life if she marries & decides to change her name. but she could carry this with her forever. And I don’t want to set up a situation where she’s constantly correcting folks. But generally, I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] this name. I just need some convincing that it actually works with the last without issue. And - say it fast with the twin’s name (like you’re telling them to get out of the dog food bowl) - “[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] & [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f].” Am I overthinking or do we go into vi-vi-vi-vi overload tongue twist territory there?

Appreciate all help here. I’m totally beginning to sweat this lack of a name situation with less than a month until they are here!

I think [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] flows better with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. Both are vintage, classic and timeless.

I like [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] but I also like

[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], but I understand the hesitation.
[name_f]Luciana[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Honora[/name_f]

Or something short with just as much whimsy like

[name_f]Fleur[/name_f]/[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosma[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]

I vote [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]! Although it does look shorter than [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] it has the same number of syllables, the same vintage vibe, and the same “uncommon but not unusual” feel. I really love [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] together, and the V in every name is a subtle but really cool way of connecting them.

I vote for [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]! I think it’s got wonderful connotations and also has significance for you. Other ideas: wait to meet baby before deciding and go with a “you looked like a…” To get over the final hurdle of two great names.

Out of left field: you like [name_m]French[/name_m] names and would like a slightly more substantial looking name maybe with a v. [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] is already a favorite…what about [name_f]Severine[/name_f]? Nn Sevie? Too close to [name_u]Everett[/name_u]? Maybe so. Any of the [name_m]French[/name_m] “ine” names would give you length and elegance. In fact, [name_f]Sylvine[/name_f] or [name_f]Alexandrine[/name_f] would be darling as well :slight_smile:

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] my long reply was a good choice!

I see what you’re saying about [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] and its popularity.

I agree about [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and nicknames – similarly, I know a [name_f]Rebekah[/name_f] whom everyone calls Bekah, and she doesn’t like it!

GS: I think this is so lovely, I really do. I don’t think you need to worry so much about how it looks written down beside [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] – out loud, they’re the same length, after all. The shared ‘v’ is great, and quite subtle! It’s nice to have slightly different names for twins – I think you’re right that they don’t have to look parallel. ” (I know of twins named [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] and [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f], and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_u]Marion[/name_u]! – speaking of which, ‘[name_u]Marian[/name_u]’ is also [name_m]French[/name_m]…)

GV: [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_m]Nesbit[/name_m] (for example) actually sounds fine to me! I do see what you mean about the two n’s, but if you just lean on the “enne” part a little when saying the full name, then that clears it right up! And you don’t really have to say a full name all that often anyway. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] sound really good together to me, even at full speed repetition! (Also, I’ve personally never come across the name [name_f]Vivia[/name_f] outside Nameberry, so I don’t think many people would mistake her name for that.)
The nicknames might be a small issue though; like if you wanted to call her [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] sometimes, [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] probably couldn’t be [name_f]Evie[/name_f]! But maybe they’ll just mostly go by their full names – like I know two Catherines, an [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], an [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], none of whom use a nickname.

([name_m]French[/name_m] name idea again - there’s [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], but maybe that’s a little more popular than you’re aiming for? And maybe you don’t want any more options at this stage!!)

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
Both are loVely!

SO appreciate all the feedback. Thanks so much to everyone!!!

A few updates from here…
*[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] - love the name. But it belonged to a dear family member. We’re not honorary namers. To us, that name is taken, so it’s off the list.

• [name_f]Helena[/name_f] was actually heavily discussed but ruled out. That whole last name starting with an N makes -na names feel very clunky

• and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]…I learned today that some of our closest friends (honorary aunt & uncle to our kiddos) have decided this is their girl name for their hopeful baby #2 (it was decided upon with #1, just in case the ultrasound was wrong). to that end…it’s off the list. we adore these folks, and I’m just not going to steal their name.

Some of the other options are lovely to me ([name_f]Severine[/name_f] is kinda cool!!!), but my husband tends to be a more mainstream dude. So I think we’re back to [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] & [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]. And for me, right now…especially after all of you have helped me think through this — I really think [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] is the winner.

Going to keep pondering it & discussing it with the hubby. But I will definitely clue everyone in once we meet these girls & decide who they are!

I think [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] sound perfect for many of the reasons others have already noted. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t over think it.

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] has been one of my absolute favorites forever! I think both [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] sound great with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f].

[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - The popularity factor doesn’t bother me for names like [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], etc, because they have always been and will always be popular. They’re classics that, in my opinion at least, will never go out of style. Plus, there’s so many nickname options you could use ([name_u]Alex[/name_u], [name_u]Allie[/name_u], [name_u]Lexie[/name_u], [name_f]Alexa[/name_f], [name_f]Xandra[/name_f]) you’re definitely not limited. Have you considered [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f]? Similar but it may solve a bit of the popularity issues.

[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
- Another gorgeous name! I love the way [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] sound together and I think [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] has just as much gravity and classic beauty as [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. And it’s definitely not too ‘old lady’. I would love to meet a little girl of any age with this name! [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]/[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] are two of my favorites!

I see that you’re hesitant to use [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] (another gorgeous one btw) but what about [name_f]Vivianna[/name_f]? I think it’s another beautiful, long, ‘V’ name that would eliminate the back to back ‘N’ sound that puts you off of [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]. Good luck with everything. Maybe you won’t really know which one to choose until you meet her? In any case [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], and whichever name you choose will sound great together!

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: I just read your update and I think [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] are a lovely pair! What beautiful sisters!

I much prefer [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_u]Everett[/name_u]. [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f] seems much more common, classic than your son’s name or her twins name. I also like the fact that the sames are connected with the v but not matchy.

My vote goes to [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]. I think it’s a beautiful name and sounds fantastic with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f].

And I love that all three siblings would share the letter v in their names.

Good luck!

Alright so my vote goes to [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] just because in my opinion [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] is cute but a little ‘old-ladyish’. [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] is defiantly not too popular and neither are the nicknames really. Good luck!