Need Feedback on the Name Wells

The name [name]Wells[/name] is starting to grow on me…and much to my surprise, it was one of the only names my Hubby didn’t automatically veto. But, here is the big kicker… we like it for a GIRL! It is too far in the boy’s court to be used for a girl?? What middle name would you use? Right now we have it paired with [name]Olivia[/name] ([name]Wells[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]). Thoughts?!

To be honest, I don’t care for [name]Wells[/name] as a given name - it is too far in the surname camp to be a first name imo. But I would automatically think it was a boy if I heard of a [name]Wells[/name] or saw the name written down. I also think of [name]Wells[/name] [name]Fargo[/name] the bank.

well i do like the cncept of boys names for girls but…
i think wells is a little eccentric. If u r dead set on using it mabe u could make it a mn, i think that [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Wells[/name] sounds nice. Or another idea is saving it for if u have a boy later.

[name]Hi[/name]!

I don’t see it as a boy’s name, and I don’t see it as a girl’s name, either. It isn’t like you are using [name]Evan[/name] on a girl…

[name]Wells[/name] seems too much like a surname to be accessible as a first name, especially for a girl. It isn’t like [name]Bennett[/name] or [name]Cooper[/name] or [name]Wilson[/name]. I’m sorry!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Don[/name]'t be sorry…I wouldn’t have asked if I didn’t want some honest opinions. Thanks for the feedback – off the list it goes! :slight_smile:

[name]Don[/name]'t be sorry…I wouldn’t have asked if I didn’t want some honest opinions. Thanks for the feedback – off the list it goes! :)[/quote]

[name]Stevie[/name] [name]Leigh[/name],

What is it about [name]Wells[/name] that appealed to you? Might you like [name]Bellamy[/name]? It has the same sound, is a surname, but has a more feminine, name-like quality. I would pair it with something simple and classic, along the lines of [name]Bellamy[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] or [name]Bellamy[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]. [name]Ellis[/name] could also be an option for you both, as it has the same sound and is a surname. You might consider [name]Ellis[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name], [name]Ellis[/name] [name]Caroline[/name], or [name]Ellis[/name] [name]Juliet[/name].

Take care!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]!

I know of an adorable little girl named [name]Wells[/name], so I can see it on a little girl. (I do think of the bank, though…) To me, [name]Wells[/name] is really no different than any other surname on a girl, and if you wanted a mainstream nickname to fall back on, you could always call her [name]Ellie[/name].

Other names you may like:

[name]Arden[/name]
[name]Auden[/name]
[name]Blake[/name]
[name]Blakely[/name]
[name]Bellamy[/name]
[name]Carlin[/name]
[name]Connelly[/name]
[name]Darby[/name]
[name]Delaney[/name]
[name]Emery[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Flannery[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Hollis[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name]
[name]Kirby[/name]
[name]Linden[/name]
[name]Marlo[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Quincy[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Reese[/name]
[name]Romilly[/name]
[name]Sutton[/name]
[name]Sheridan[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Tierney[/name]
[name]Willoughby[/name]
[name]Waverly[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

i hear wells I think [name]Wells[/name] fargo bank. I dont like surnames or unisex names for girls so I dont like [name]Wells[/name]. with that said wells is no different for [name]Payton[/name] and I know lots of little girls named that.

it could work
its cute
[name]Olivia[/name] [name]Wells[/name] might work better and is a little easier to get use to

Can’t really see it as a first name for either gender. Most last names in use as girls’ first names either end in -on/en or -ey, which are familiar endings for first names. S-ending girls’ names tend to have a vowel before the S ([name]Carys[/name], [name]Lois[/name]).

I knew a Welles in NYC. She’s probably near 50 now, so there’s an example of some parents who just wanted to name their girl Welles, and of course, as is usually the case with an unusual name, it totally suited her, was obviously quite singular (a character I think is pretty neat if you’re lucky enough to find one that really works, [name]Suri[/name], for example), go for it if you like it. My mom even suggested Welles as a middle for us. And she’s a midwesterner named [name]Nancy[/name]!

I think it is a beautiful girls name. Kind of hard to get used to maybe? But nice just the same. i like the nickname someone else said, [name]Ellie[/name], maybe one day? I say go for it. I like girls names to be a little different :slight_smile:

Is it a family name? If so, I can get behind it. If not, well, I’m not that into surnames given randomly.

We named our daughter [name]Wells[/name] 7 years ago. It’s got some personal history for us, which is why we chose it. The negatives: when she tells people her name, they invariably say, “what?”. Most people assume she’s a boy if they haven’t seen her (dr.'s offices, etc.). THe positives: We love it. People ask for the reason for the name, and we like telling the story. Many people have commented on how much they love it (tho I must admit they are probably outnumbered by the quizzical looks). We were a little scared to do it, but now we are happy we did! Go for it! Maybe we can start penpal-ing (in 10 years or so!)

I think the name [name]Wells[/name] for a girl is actually really adorable! I do also like the spelling Welles, maybe a little more feminine with the extra “e” (making the word elle which means girl in french)! Welles [name]Olivia[/name] is a great name, here are some other suggestions to go with it too:

Welles [name]Fiona[/name]
Welles [name]Ophelia[/name]
Welles [name]Alexandra[/name]
Welles [name]Adelaide[/name]
Welles [name]Elizabeth[/name]
Welles [name]Caroline[/name]
Welles [name]Clementine[/name]

I think that names with 3 or more syllables work best with Welles, however there are the exceptions!

Actually, what the name Welles/[name]Wells[/name] reminds me of is the name [name]Collins[/name]. I have heard [name]Collins[/name] used on a girl before, actually, in the recent movie with [name]Sandra[/name] Bullock “The Blind Side”. The name of the daughter of the family that adopted the boy was named [name]Collins[/name] (which is a true story, so a writer didnt just make up the name!)

Oh! And you could also use the name [name]Wellesley[/name] (listed as feminine on nameberry), with nn Welles/[name]Wells[/name]! Always an idea!

[name]Hope[/name] this helps and good luck!

I think [name]Wells[/name] could be cute on a girl. I know a woman named [name]Clark[/name] (family name I think), she’s in her twenties. I also know a little boy whose name is [name]Maxwell[/name] but goes by [name]Wells[/name]. I think that [name]Wellesley[/name] could be an interesting option, though you might get a lot of questions as to whether you went to [name]Wellesley[/name] College (if you live in the US and particularly the northeast). I really like the suggestion of [name]Ellis[/name]. I think it is a bit more feminine but still spunky.

I like the name [name]Wells[/name] quite well (no pun intended) on a boy. To me it’d a very handsome upperclass old southern name. I have known a [name]Wellington[/name] nn [name]Wells[/name]. I like it for a boy, not so much for a girl. However, the name [name]Ellis[/name], I like better on a girl.

Agree 100% If it’s a family name go for it. And like another poster said, she’s going to get asked about her name a lot. So a lot of interactions are going to go like “[name]Wells[/name]? Is that a family name?”

And about the girl [name]Collins[/name]. It takes place in [name]Memphis[/name]. I would bet that its a family name. Family surname names in the South is a long tradition.

I don’t see [name]Wells[/name] as a girls name at all. I don’t think it has that versatile structure no matter what middle name you put with it.