Need help!!! Are Amelia and Olivia too "matchy"?

Starting to stress… can’t seem to come up with that perfect name that both my husband and I love. We are still very undecided on names and our baby is due in [name]April[/name] (gender unknown).

For girls, I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Amelia[/name]. [name]Just[/name] wondering if [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name] are too much/ too similar for a sib set? Also, we often call [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Livy[/name]. What nicknames work with [name]Amelia[/name]?

Any other suggestions for girls or boys that go well with [name]Olivia[/name]?
We have a 3 syllable last name that starts with Mc.

Hoping you can help!

I think they are a bit close in sound, honestly…

[name]Olivia[/name] and…

[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Amy[/name]

[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Marianna[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Nn’s [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Mimi[/name], [name]Mia[/name], [name]Mel[/name], [name]Leah[/name], [name]Lee[/name], [name]Amy[/name].

[name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name] are very matchy.

What about

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name] [name]Kate[/name]

I know an [name]Olivia[/name] nn [name]Livy[/name] who has a sister named [name]Lily[/name], THAT is too matchy. They have another sister named [name]Annabelle[/name].

I think normally I would say these were too matchy, maybe they are. I just love both names so much that I want to say it’s ok. I think it just comes down to whether or not you’re comfortable with it.

[name]Livy[/name] and [name]Milly[/name]? I think that’s very sweet together, similar, yes, but I still like it. [name]Milly[/name] comes almost as naturally to [name]Amelia[/name] as [name]Livy[/name] does to [name]Olivia[/name]. What about [name]Livy[/name] and [name]Lia[/name]?

Darn! I think they are too matchy. I love them both. I have an [name]Amelia[/name] and wanted to also use [name]Olivia[/name], I still love it. But I just don’t think both can be used together.

[name]Ah[/name]… sadly the consensus seems to confirm what I thought. I suppose there is a reason I like [name]Amelia[/name] so much if it is close to [name]Olivia[/name]. Thanks to each of you for the feedback. It means a lot.

Your suggestions are great. I suppose it may help if you know our last name -McGreevy (pronounced “mah-greevy”). It’s Irish. So names like [name]Emma[/name], or even perhaps ones ending in an “ee” sound may not work.

Names suggested that we’ve thought about a lot and have been considering are [name]Miranda[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Linnea[/name], [name]Leah[/name]. [name]Just[/name] haven’t hit that name that seems “just right” yet. (Though, perhaps this will change.)

[name]Emmeline[/name] and [name]Mariana[/name] are both lovely too. I’m going to run them by my husband.

So again… any further ideas would be helpful. For boys too!

I absolutely love every one of the names on your list! To go with big sister [name]Olivia[/name] and last name McGreevy, what about:

[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] (not the best with McGreevy…)
[name]Isobel[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name] (maybe too close to [name]Olivia[/name]…)
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Valentina[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]

[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]Edmund[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]

Could you substitute [name]Annelise[/name] or [name]Annelisa[/name] for [name]Amelia[/name].

[name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Annelise[/name], I think it is a beautiful sibset.

Oh…I too like [name]Annelise[/name] a lot! I also love the meaning behind it. We will definitely keep this one in mind as a front runner.
Which way is the most common spelling? [name]Annalise[/name] or [name]Annelise[/name]? I like both but would want the most typical spelling, as we are ALWAYS having to spell out our last name. I think this would be the only drawback for me.

IrisRose- thank you so much for your list of name suggestions. For the girls, [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] are our favorites out of those.

So interesting to see names come up that we have been considering. In fact… for boys’ names so many of the ones you’ve written are ones we love. [name]Nathaniel[/name] is my very top choice. I also really like [name]Sebastian[/name]. Funny enough, [name]Arlo[/name] is by far my husband’s favorite boy name. Too bad he’s not into [name]Nathaniel[/name] or [name]Sebastian[/name] as a first name and I don’t really like [name]Arlo[/name]. Sigh! [name]Matthew[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name] are both in our top 10 though. :slight_smile:

I love [name]Annelise[/name] and [name]Anneliese[/name]! In the US, neither of these spellings is in the top 1,000, but [name]Annalise[/name] is #702.

Some more you may like (and I’m really, really sorry about repeats!):

[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name] (nn [name]Annie[/name] or [name]Anna[/name])
[name]Scarlett[/name]

[name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

yes

You mentioned [name]Emmeline[/name] before - I absolutely adore [name]Emmeline[/name] McGreevy, and [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Emmeline[/name] make a wonderful pair - both absolutely feminine with similar, but not certainly not ‘matchy’ sounds.

Again… appreciate all your ideas. This has helped me to put [name]Amelia[/name] aside. I’m not sure my husband is sold on [name]Annelise[/name] for a first name, though he likes it for a middle name. I’ll keep trying though, as I love it.

[name]Georgia[/name] is one we’ve been thinking a lot about too.

We like [name]Audrey[/name] and [name]Molly[/name], but not sure it works with McGreevy (the e endings). What do you think?

[name]How[/name] would you pronounce [name]Emmeline[/name]? Emmel-line, Emmel-lynn or Emmel-leen? [name]Don[/name]'t think I can convince my husband on this one, but I do like it. (It would help if I knew the correct pronounciation!)

Thanks for the boys names too. Still thinking…