Need help! Girl name dilemma!

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I are torn between three names for our girl. We’ve narrowed it down to

[name_u]Blakely[/name_u]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u]
[name_u]Emerson[/name_u]

I love [name_u]Linden[/name_u], because it’s unique but everyone keeps saying it’s such a boys name. I know it’s different but for some reason it’s catchy and I’m drawn to it for a girl. I love [name_u]Blakely[/name_u], too but thinks it’s a little overused. As far as [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], we love that at well and love the nicknames [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] or [name_f]Em[/name_f] that would go with it- so many possibilities!

Any input would be appreciated! What do y’all think?

1 Like

[name_u]Blakely[/name_u] is my favorite name! It’s beautiful and sweet. [name_u]Linden[/name_u] would be my second choice. It’s a nice name for a girl. I would assume [name_u]Linden[/name_u] is a girl, because it is so similar to the feminine names [name_f]Linda[/name_f] and [name_u]Lindsey[/name_u].
I prefer [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] for a boy, it’s to masculine for me.

1 Like

I actually think [name_u]Linden[/name_u] would work well for a girl! It’s my favorite from your list! It definitely is unisex in my eyes and [name_f]Linny[/name_f] would be a sweet nickname. [name_u]Blakely[/name_u] is a great option and I personally have never met a [name_u]Blakely[/name_u], so I don’t think it is too overused (at least where I live). [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] is alright, but I think it might feel a little popular considering all the different spellings plus all the Emmas/Emilys/Emmalines/Emerys running around.

Other names you might like are [name_u]Arden[/name_u], [name_u]Aspen[/name_u], [name_u]Delaney[/name_u], [name_u]Ellery[/name_u], and [name_u]Marley[/name_u].

1 Like

I actually like [name_u]Linden[/name_u] best! The others seem very trendy to me, which is great if that’s what you are looking for!

2 Likes

I really like [name_u]Linden[/name_u] especially with a more obvious feminine middle!

2 Likes

[name_u]Linden[/name_u]’s my favorite! As a nature name, I think it definitely works for a girl. [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] is all boy to me, sorry. [name_u]Blakely[/name_u] I would assume to be a girl, but it’s just not my style, and it seems very trendy. [name_u]Linden[/name_u] feels more timeless.

1 Like

I like [name_u]Linden[/name_u]. Maybe to make it more feminine if you’re worried: Lindanne, [name_u]London[/name_u], [name_f]Linley[/name_f], Linleigh, and of course, [name_u]Lindsay[/name_u]

1 Like

We were going to do [name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_u]Drew[/name_u] ([name_u]Drew[/name_u] is after my brother that passed) but maybe we’ll try something more feminine for her middle name. Thanks everyone for your input!

So happy I got some votes for [name_u]Linden[/name_u]! I’ve been really hesitant on settling on this name simply because up until now so many people were against it. Definitely gives me a nudge to just go with it! Now for a middle name! We liked [name_u]Drew[/name_u], but I’m guessing that’s too masculine with an already unisex name… I’ll keep brainstorming. Suggestions are welcome!

I like [name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_u]Drew[/name_u] but I would definitely assume it was a boy’s name at first.

[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_f]Ava[/name_f]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_f]May[/name_f]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_f]Zara[/name_f]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_f]Elle[/name_f]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_f]Eva[/name_f]/[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_f]Jada[/name_f]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_f]Cleo[/name_f]

I love [name_u]Linden[/name_u]! It’s very sweet. I also really like the meaning behind [name_u]Drew[/name_u], but I agree that it is a little leaning towards the masculine side. which I dont necessarily think is an issue, but maybe not something you want.
Have you thought about having two middle names? Then you could have a more feminine sounding name between [name_u]Linden[/name_u] and [name_u]Drew[/name_u]!

1 Like

I just dropped by to say: please reconsider using [name_u]Drew[/name_u] for your daughter’s middle name! When I read that [name_u]Drew[/name_u] was your late brother’s name, I felt compelled to show my support for it. Remind yourselves of the reasons why you originally wanted to use the name. It sounds to me like you wanted to continue the memory of your brother. It sounds like you both were agreed and liked the name too.

Regardless of what first name you choose, it’s worth considering what’s most important to you for the middle name. Is it the flow between the first and middle name? Is it having cohesive style? Is it the meaning of the name or family significance? What’s the name story you would like to share with your daughter one day? There isn’t a right or wrong answer, it’s just what matters to you. But remember middle names are rarely used in everyday life. Most people will only ever know her first name and surname. So if you’re concerned about a unisex name sounding too masculine, or whether people might be confused about her gender based on her name on paper, its the first name you should really look at.

5 Likes

I really like [name_u]Linden[/name_u]!!

1 Like

The possibilities for [name_u]Linden[/name_u] are endless. However I wouldn’t necessarily cancel out [name_u]Drew[/name_u]. It works if you like it. [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] [name_m]Simpson[/name_m] named her daughter [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] [name_u]Drew[/name_u]; [name_u]Drew[/name_u] Barrymore was named after a relative “[name_u]Georgie[/name_u]” [name_u]Drew[/name_u]. You [name_f]May[/name_f] have some people who initially are confused… but… don’t be swayed. When my son was born my mom said she didn’t know what to think of his name “[name_m]Jabez[/name_m]”; but she says now she thinks it’s a perfect name that just fits him and who he is perfectly and couldn’t see him having any other name. So just go with what works for you!

1 Like

Yes, I think [name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_u]Drew[/name_u] sounds quite nice actually, and it’s obviously meaningful for you.

1 Like

[name_u]Blakely[/name_u] - I’ve never been a fan of this name. I much prefer [name_u]Blake[/name_u].

[name_u]Linden[/name_u] - Whenever, I hear this name, I think of “lint”. I wish I didn’t, because I think [name_u]Linden[/name_u] has a lot of nice qualities! I love surname-style names, especially on girls, and the “[name_f]Lin[/name_f]” sound makes it a little more feminine! But alas.

[name_u]Emerson[/name_u] - A winner in my opinion! Again, I love the surname style and the feminine sound. This one gets my vote!

1 Like

[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_u]Drew[/name_u] is so cute! I think it’s feminine enough.

1 Like

I think [name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_u]Drew[/name_u] would be beautiful. I also really like [name_u]Blakely[/name_u] and [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], but not as much.

1 Like

I really like [name_u]Linden[/name_u], but I see what you’re saying about [name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_u]Drew[/name_u]- but if [name_u]Drew[/name_u] is short for [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], then you could do:
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]/[name_u]Anne[/name_u]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_u]Andrea[/name_u]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_f]Angeline[/name_f]
And basically anything else that starts with An. If not, then [name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_u]Drew[/name_u] is cute too, and you should definitely pick something meaningful to you.

I love [name_u]Linden[/name_u], and the nn [name_f]Lindy[/name_f]!