Need Serious Help!

Hello, Nameberry. :slight_smile: My name is [name]Dorothy[/name], I have two children and I am expecting my third in [name]April[/name]. I am in serious need of naming help because I am stuck. My husband is no real help, he tries, but suggests silly things like [name]Thor[/name] and [name]Boss[/name]. I am adamant about naming my children after my family members and will not compromise because I think it is so important and special. My situation is a little complicated, but I am so hoping that naming experts can help me sort through it and come up with a gorgeous name! Here it goes:

My oldest daughter is [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Marie[/name]. I know what you’re thinking - “Wow, boring.” [name]Lucy[/name] is my grandmother’s name and I have a few aunt’s with this name, too. My grandmother, [name]Lucy[/name], wasn’t born with a given middle name. Her confirmation name that she chose for herself is her middle name. I love that she chose it for herself, and it’s also her mother, my great-grandmother’s, first name. [name]Marie[/name] is also my cousin’s name and [name]Mary[/name] is my other cousin’s name. So, it isn’t boring or a filler name to us. It has tons of meaning and is so special.

My son is [name]Francis[/name] [name]Aidan[/name]. When we adopted him from [name]Russia[/name], he was eight months old, and was named [name]Ivan[/name]. [name]Ivan[/name] is his second middle name, but we don’t use it, however it’s still there. [name]Frances[/name] was my great-grandmother’s name, and [name]Francis[/name] is my grandfather’s middle name. [name]Aidan[/name], again, you’re probably thinking, “Trendy, so unoriginal.” Again, it’s special. My great-grandfather’s name was [name]Ignace[/name], which means “fiery” and since I just cannot get behind the name [name]Ignace[/name] (especially how he pronounced it, God love him - he was a great man, but “eeg-knots” is not appealing.) [name]Aidan[/name] means “little fire” so I think it honors him in a more updated way. :slight_smile: [name]Francis[/name] is [name]Frankie[/name] 99% of the time.

Anyway, now that I’ve told you how important family use is for me, I can explain my further choices for baby #3. These are the names that are up for use. I love most of them, some I could use some encouragement to get behind, and I just want to hear your opinions and reactions to them. Thank you so much!

[name]Rozalia[/name] ([name]Rosalie[/name]?)
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Martha[/name]
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Ann[/name]
[name]Joan[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] (my great-great-grandmother’s name was spelled [name]Katharine[/name], but I don’t know how I feel about that. My Aunt’s name is spelled [name]Katherine[/name].)
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]

Thoughts? Reactions? Ideas? Suggestions?

[name]Rozalia[/name] ([name]Rosalie[/name]?) - I think [name]Rosalie[/name] is a nicer update. I think it’s a little too modernly popular (Twilight) next to [name]Francis[/name], but it works OK really. What about just [name]Rose[/name], is that honoring enough? Or [name]Rosemary[/name] to get in the [name]Mary[/name] below?
[name]Sophie[/name] - great name, matching ending to [name]Lucy[/name] FWIW.
[name]Martha[/name] - I like this name and it’s a good match to [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Francis[/name].
[name]Helen[/name] - Ditto on [name]Martha[/name]. [name]Love[/name] it!
[name]Jane[/name] - Another great options.
[name]Ann[/name] - On the plain side. It’s OK. But especially with [name]Francis[/name]…[name]Ann[/name] is inside of [name]Francis[/name].
[name]Joan[/name] - I have a soft spot for [name]Joan[/name], but [name]Jane[/name] is the nicer of these two related names.
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] (my great-great-grandmother’s name was spelled [name]Katharine[/name], but I don’t know how I feel about that. My Aunt’s name is spelled [name]Katherine[/name].) - I think with [name]Lucy[/name]'s middle name already being [name]Marie[/name], a little [name]Mary[/name] might be a bit much. And [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] are kind of rhymey. That said it’s not the worst (the [name]Mary[/name]/[name]Marie[/name] thing, especially as I’m gathering you’re a Catholic family), and [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] are really nicely matched in many respects. This could grow on me. [name]Mary[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] is just very expected though. I mean I like expected and traditional. I don’t find [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Marie[/name] boring at all. But if you want to mix it up a bit (like with [name]Francis[/name] [name]Aidan[/name] instead of [name]Francis[/name] [name]Ignace[/name]…) then [name]Mary[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] alternatives might be in order.
[name]Laura[/name] - great name. Are you OK with the matching initials?
[name]Ruby[/name] - nice name, very rhymey with [name]Lucy[/name] though.

Some suggestions:

[name]Martha[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name] (I think the rhythm is great and the mildly old lady [name]Martha[/name] is made fresher by the newer [name]Rosalie[/name])
[name]Sophie[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] (less expected than [name]Mary[/name] [name]Katherine[/name], great rhythm, meaning of pure wisdom)
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Helena[/name] - can you update [name]Helen[/name] this way? I think the rhythm is better than [name]Mary[/name] [name]Helen[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] [name]Helena[/name] is more unexpected than [name]Mary[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]. [name]Helen[/name]/[name]Helena[/name] means light like [name]Lucy[/name] and I’d love that connection for them.
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] - if you would update [name]Sophie[/name] this way, another great modern double-barrel for [name]Mary[/name].
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Joan[/name] - [name]Helen[/name] [name]Joan[/name] is a little fusty, but [name]Helena[/name] [name]Joan[/name] is delightful
[name]Sophie[/name] [name]Helena[/name] - wisdom light. beautiful.
[name]Laura[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] - I like [name]Katherine[/name] better paired with [name]Laura[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] - I think [name]Ruby[/name] works better as a middle for you since it’s so close to [name]Lucy[/name]. Makes [name]Katherine[/name] more fun : D. [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Katie[/name] would be so cute!
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] - could you update [name]Ann[/name] to [name]Anna[/name]? Would [name]Rosemary[/name] still be honoring for you?
[name]Rosalie[/name] [name]Joan[/name] - love this combo.
[name]Joanna[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] - takes elements of [name]Joan[/name], [name]Jane[/name], [name]Ann[/name], and [name]Joanna[/name] is a Biblical name on its own. Pairs great with [name]Ruby[/name].

Good luck!

Wow, you have some great names to work with! PP has some great suggestions as well! My favorites are [name]Rozalia[/name]/[name]Rosalie[/name] maybe [name]Rosalia[/name]? [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Jane[/name], [name]Ann[/name], [name]Martha[/name] and [name]Katherine[/name]. I agree, I prefer this spelling vs. [name]Katharine[/name]. I really love the meanings of your other children’s names. [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Marie[/name] is very cute and [name]Francis[/name] [name]Aidan[/name] has such great connection and meaning! My favorite combo suggestions:

[name]Martha[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Martha[/name] [name]Sophie[/name](I think [name]Sophie[/name] freshens up [name]Martha[/name] a bit) I think [name]Martha[/name] matches in style well with your other children.

[name]Katherine[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] maybe?

[name]Jana[/name] as an alternative to [name]Jane[/name]? Adding the “a” ending freshens it up and gets better flow to combine with middles. [name]Jana[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name] would be beautiful

[name]Rozalia[/name]/[name]Rosalia[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is beautiful. I actually prefer the “a” ending to the “lie” ending, myself.

[name]Rozalia[/name]- I would go with [name]Rosalie[/name], which is cute alongside [name]Lucy[/name].
[name]Sophie[/name]- yes, popular, but still sweet.
[name]Martha[/name]- [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Frankie[/name] and [name]Martha[/name]? It just doesn’t go as well. Now, if you called your son [name]Frances[/name], I’d say it goes with that a bit better.
[name]Helen[/name]- not bad for a mn option. I also love [name]Helene[/name] or [name]Helena[/name].
[name]Jane[/name]- sweet, simple, understated.
[name]Ann[/name]- I always prefer it with an e. [name]Anne[/name] nn [name]Annie[/name] would go well with [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Frankie[/name].
[name]Joan[/name]- not my favorite from your list.
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]- a bit long-winded in comparison to your other kids’ names. Maybe [name]Mary[/name] [name]Kate[/name]? Or [name]Mary[/name] [name]Jane[/name]?
[name]Laura[/name]- timeless and elegant.
[name]Ruby[/name]- kinda cutesy and less substantive than some of your other, more classic choices. But I do love it!

I really like [name]Mary[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]. I think [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] go well together.

[name]Rozalia[/name]- I do not see a “[name]Rose[/name]” name when I look at this, so if that is the image you’re trying to conjure, I suggest using [name]Rosalie[/name]. I think [name]Rosalie[/name] is a beautiful name and would go well with siblings [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Frankie[/name].
[name]Sophie[/name]- This has always been a favorite of mine, but one I do not plan to use because of its popularity (I did give my pet rat this name, though). I love [name]Sophie[/name]. I think it is classic and timeless.
[name]Martha[/name] - It seems your family names naturally go well together. I can definitely see a little [name]Martha[/name] joining [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Frankie[/name], and I feel this name is less trendy right now.
[name]Helen[/name] - [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Helen[/name] seem like natural sisters to me. You’re making this a very difficult decision for me!
[name]Jane[/name] - I have always loved the idea of using [name]Jane[/name] in the middle name spot. It is a perfectly legitimate first name, but there is something about combinations with [name]Jane[/name] in the middle that I love!
[name]Ann[/name] - [name]Ann[/name] shares the same sound as in [name]Francis[/name], so this deters me a little. You mentioned he goes by [name]Frankie[/name], but I feel [name]Ann[/name] and [name]Francis[/name] are too close. It would be nice in the middle spot, though.
[name]Joan[/name] - Nice, but I definitely prefer [name]Jane[/name].
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] - [name]Mary[/name] is too close to [name]Marie[/name], and I wouldn’t use it if it were me. Perhaps just use the [name]Katherine[/name] portion? [name]Martha[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] would be ok. [name]Alice[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] sounds nice, for something not on your list.
[name]Laura[/name] - I really like [name]Laura[/name], but I’m not a big fan of matching first initials. I would prefer this in the middle spot.
[name]Ruby[/name] - I love seeing this name on your list, as it is a personal favorite. However, I agree with the pp who said it is a bit matchy with [name]Lucy[/name]. This seems like another name with mn potential.

[name]Favorite[/name] Combinations:
[name]Sophie[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name] [name]Ann[/name]
[name]Martha[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]

[name]Rozalia[/name] ([name]Rosalie[/name]?) ~ I’m not a fan of [name]Rozalia[/name], but I think [name]Rosalie[/name] is lovely!
[name]Sophie[/name] ~ This is one of my favorites! I used to have a friend named [name]Sophie[/name] and I have always thought it was a gorgeous name!
[name]Martha[/name] ~ It’s nice, but due to some negative conotations I have about it, I can’t say I like it.
[name]Helen[/name] ~ Is really nice, but I personally prefer Hélène or [name]Helena[/name].
[name]Jane[/name] ~ My cousin’s middle name is [name]Jane[/name], I think it’s simple and lovely and would work especially well as an mn.
[name]Ann[/name] ~ Is lovely, but a bit plain in my opinion. I think that “[name]Anne[/name]” as well as other variations like [name]Anabella[/name] or AnnaSophia (I [name]LOVE[/name] this one!) would work very well.
[name]Joan[/name] ~ Not a fan.
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] (my great-great-grandmother’s name was spelled [name]Katharine[/name], but I don’t know how I feel about that. My Aunt’s name is spelled [name]Katherine[/name].) ~ I think you can’t go wrong with this, lovely and classic.
[name]Laura[/name] ~ Very sweet.
[name]Ruby[/name] ~ I really like this one, adorable!