need some ideas

We aren’t sure yet if we are having a girl or a boy, and until we find out my husband and I aren’t going to start the serious name talks yet… But I am trying to get a head start as it took us forever to name our first child. We picked [name]Elaina[/name] [name]Grace[/name] which was kind of a compromise for us both but we ended up both loving it. So these are the names I am considering; wanted to get feedback/ideas:

Girl:
[name]Sydney[/name] [name]Elise[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Maya[/name]

Boy:
[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Addison[/name]
[name]Cameron[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]

Note: our last name starts with a “C” and is one syllable, so I try to be really conscious of using only one syllable names- prefer at least 2 syllable ones… We have no desier to family names, with the exception that [name]Addison[/name] is a name on my side of the family that I happen to like.

I love [name]Maya[/name] for a girl, and for a boy my favorite is [name]Noah[/name].

[name]Sydney[/name] [name]Elise[/name]-- I wouldn’t use [name]Sydney[/name], since it’s a surname and a city
[name]Avery[/name]-- It’s originally a surname, and getting very trendy
[name]Sophia[/name]-- Very pretty, but really popular right now
[name]Maya[/name]-- [name]Maya[/name] is lovely! Personally, I like it spelled [name]Maia[/name], but either is nice

Boy:
[name]Noah[/name]-- My favorite of your choices
[name]Addison[/name]-- Unfortunately, this is really trendy on girls-- I think it was # 11 last year :frowning:
[name]Cameron[/name]-- This is my second favorite
[name]Sawyer[/name]-- To me, it has an ugly sound, not to mention a surname that means “wood chopper”

other suggestions…

[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Alina[/name]
[name]Bryony[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Mara[/name]
[name]Aveline[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Selena[/name]

[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Isaiah[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Axel[/name]

Girl:
[name]Sydney[/name] [name]Elise[/name] - I love the [name]Sydney[/name] or [name]Sidney[/name] but I feel some of your other names would fit better with [name]Elaina[/name]. If that’s no bother to you than [name]Sydney[/name]/[name]Sidney[/name] is great. I’ve had it on my short list at one point.
[name]Avery[/name] - Very pretty. I’ve only known one and he well, was a he.
I like unisex names for girls and this seems to be one of the less masculine sounding ones.
[name]Sophia[/name] - I’ve always loved [name]Sophia[/name]. I’m sad it’s so popular right now but that might depend on your area. [name]Elaina[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name] are pretty together.
[name]Maya[/name] - I really like this name too but I might be biased since I have a little [name]Mia[/name] (mee-ah). [name]Elaina[/name] and [name]Maya[/name] I think work the best together.

Boy:
[name]Noah[/name] - [name]Noah[/name] is a sweet name. I like [name]Noah[/name] and names like [name]Josiah[/name].
[name]Addison[/name] - As mentioned it’s really popular for girls.
[name]Cameron[/name] - This has been one of my favorites for a long time. Scramble the letters and [name]Cameron[/name] = [name]Romance[/name] :slight_smile:
[name]Sawyer[/name] - This is not a bad name at all but I like [name]Noah[/name] and [name]Cameron[/name] better.

I would pick [name]Elaina[/name] and [name]Maya[/name] or [name]Elaina[/name] and [name]Cameron[/name].

I really love the name [name]Eliana[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Sydney[/name] [name]Elise[/name]: [name]Sydney[/name] is pretty trendy/dated, and I think that a femine name would work better with the beautiful [name]Eliana[/name].
[name]Avery[/name]: Ditto.
[name]Sophia[/name]: [name]Sophia[/name] is seriously popular, but I think it’s beautiful. I can definitely see [name]Eliana[/name] and [name]Maya[/name] as siblings.
[name]Maya[/name]: I think that the exotic [name]Maya[/name] works beautifully with [name]Eliana[/name].

From your list, I love [name]Maya[/name] with [name]Eliana[/name], placing [name]Sophia[/name] in second place only because of its popularity. With [name]Eliana[/name], I picture something similarly feminine with a bit of an exotic feel.

More names that I think work with [name]Eliana[/name]:

[name]Aveline[/name] (Irish name…close to [name]Avery[/name])
[name]Camille[/name]/[name]Camilla[/name] (may not work with your last name)
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name])
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name] (another Irish name that reminds me of [name]Avery[/name])
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Samara[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]

Boy:
[name]Noah[/name]: I think it’s handome, but it’s also very popular, which may or may not be an issue for you. I think that [name]Noah[/name] works really well with [name]Eliana[/name].
[name]Addison[/name]: I’ve only heard this on girls, and it’s VERY trendy now (#12). It feels like the new [name]Madison[/name] to me.
[name]Cameron[/name]: I think it’s handsome, but also very popular. I think that [name]Noah[/name] fits [name]Eliana[/name]'s style better.
[name]Sawyer[/name]: Ditto.

[name]Eliana[/name] and:

[name]Abraham[/name] (nn [name]Bram[/name] or [name]Abe[/name])
[name]August[/name]/[name]Augustin[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name] (nn [name]Cash[/name])
[name]Dashiell[/name] (nn [name]Dash[/name])
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]

I can best see Biblical or slightly exotic names with [name]Eliana[/name], but here are some more surnames as first names you may like:

[name]Abbott[/name] (nn [name]Abe[/name])
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Maxfield[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Shepherd[/name]
[name]Truman[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your insights! This is the first time I have used nameberry and I really wish I had discovered it when pregnant with my first! I thought a lot about what you all said and I think that a lot of it makes sense. I think I might move [name]Avery[/name] over to my boy list, perhaps as a middle name… I agree that since [name]Elaina[/name] is a girly name, if she has a sister a girly name would fit for her better, too. So I am sticking with [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Maya[/name], and now considering [name]Aveline[/name] (I need to look up the pronunciation of that, though…) I definately will keep [name]Noah[/name] at the top of my list, I am in love with that name more and more.

That being said, I found a list of names we considered with the first baby and I thought I would run these by you, too, as some of them I still love:

Girl:
[name]Peyton[/name]
[name]Bella[/name]
[name]Jocelyn[/name]

Boy:
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]

[name]Do[/name] any of these strike a cord with you? Any input would help!!!

This is my first time using Nameberry, so I posted a new post somewhere below rather than replying to each of your individual posts… Not sure if that is the right way to do it or not!

That’s perfect!:slight_smile:

Girl:
[name]Sophia[/name] - While I think this name goes very well with [name]Eliana[/name], I just wanted to point out the popularity of it. [name]Sophia[/name] is #7, while [name]Sofia[/name] is #36, and [name]Sophie[/name] is #74. Its HUGELY popular. On the other hand, [name]Eliana[/name] is #203. I don’t know if this bothers you at all, but a lot of people don’t always realize how popular a name is. So I just wanted to point it out to you.
[name]Maya[/name] - [name]Maya[/name] is #72, so a little less popular than [name]Sophia[/name] but still up there. And I actually like the way [name]Sophia[/name] sounds with [name]Eliana[/name] a little better.
[name]Aveline[/name]- now this name is not even ranked in the top 1000! :slight_smile: She could very well be the only one around your town!
[name]Peyton[/name] - This one (while I just [name]LOVE[/name] it) has the same feel as [name]Avery[/name] to me. It is very unisex. I’m not sure that it has the “girly-factor” you were saying you hoped to achieve.
[name]Bella[/name] - This one feels all nicknamey to me. It’s very pretty, but I feel its better suited to a middle.
[name]Jocelyn[/name]- I looked this up on the SSA popularity site and was surprised to learn that its#67. To me it feels like a 90’s name.

Boy:
[name]Alexander[/name] - strong and classic. I like it, but so do a lot of people. Its number 6… (PS- I like the nn [name]Xander[/name])
[name]Owen[/name] - Oh how I love thee! Its number 58, though :frowning:

Please don’t hate me! I looked back at what I wrote and I realized that I didn’t write a whole lot of positive things…So sorry. I just know that we, here at nameberry, will be able to find the perfect name for you. And in reality our opinions are just that…our opinions. Please take them with a grain of salt. In hopes of ACTUALLY helping you, I’m going to include some name suggestions. Sorry for repeats… :slight_smile: Have a fabulous day and Good [name]Luck[/name]! :slight_smile:

Here’s some names that are around the same popularity as [name]Eliana[/name] (#203):

Girls:
[name]Tessa[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name]! #202)
[name]Amaya[/name] #198
[name]Julianna[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name]! but might be too matchy) #194
[name]Bianca[/name] #204
[name]Clara[/name] #206
[name]Josephine[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name]!) #208
[name]Scarlett[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name]!) #210
[name]Nora[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name]!) #216
[name]Annabelle[/name] #188 (nn [name]Bella[/name])

Boys:
[name]Camden[/name] #204
[name]Roman[/name] #205 ([name]LOVE[/name]!)
[name]Asher[/name] #206
[name]Abraham[/name] #187
[name]Lincoln[/name] #212 ([name]LOVE[/name]!)
[name]Rylan[/name] #217 ([name]LOVE[/name]!)
[name]Calvin[/name] #228

And here’s some that I just thought you might like :slight_smile: :

Girls:
[name]Emmeline[/name] (nn [name]Emme[/name])
[name]Cordelia[/name] (nn [name]Cora[/name]/[name]Delia[/name])
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] (nn [name]Tori[/name])
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] (nn [name]Mattie[/name]/[name]Tillie[/name]/[name]Tilda[/name])
[name]Violet[/name] (nn [name]Vi[/name]/[name]Lettie[/name])
[name]Amalia[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Cara[/name]

Boys:
[name]Oliver[/name] (nn [name]Ollie[/name])
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Oran[/name]
[name]August[/name] (nn [name]Augie[/name]/[name]Gus[/name])
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Everett[/name] (nn [name]Rhett[/name])
[name]Harrison[/name] (nn [name]Harry[/name])
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Quincy[/name] (nn [name]Quinn[/name])
[name]Wade[/name]
[name]Edward[/name] (nn [name]Ward[/name])
[name]Liam[/name]

Thank you! I guess I am going to have to consider how much I care about the popularity of a name… It never bothered me before, but I can see how once my child is in school how that will be annoying if there are 5 others with the same name. And now that a lot of my friends are having kids, I am noticing some of my names getting “stolen” (not knowlingly of course) so it is a definate plus to have a more uncommon name…

One thing I wanted to point out, since it has come up twice now- my daughter’s name is [name]Elaina[/name] (pronounced A-lay-na) not [name]Eliana[/name] ([name]El[/name]-ee-ah-na)- I don’t know if it was a typo or not, but it seemed like some people were thinking it was the latter. Which is a very beautiful name, but one we never considered and now it would be too close to [name]Elaina[/name]! Also, my husband tends toward trendier names, it seems- and tends to raise his eyebrows about older, more classic names that haven’t been heard around in awhile- so I think I’ll have to work on him a bit. But this is a great start! Keep the comments coming!

OMG! I’m so sorry! I just realized this WHOLE thing I thought your daughter was [name]Eliana[/name]! I was perusing other posts and realized its actually [name]Elaina[/name]!!! SORRY! Most everything I wrote still works, but [name]Elaina[/name] is #462 (so even LESS popular than [name]Eliana[/name]). I will add names at the bottom of this that fit [name]ELAINA[/name]'S popularity.
Sorry again!!!

That’s perfect!:slight_smile:

Girl:
[name]Sophia[/name] - While I think this name goes very well with [name]Eliana[/name], I just wanted to point out the popularity of it. [name]Sophia[/name] is #7, while [name]Sofia[/name] is #36, and [name]Sophie[/name] is #74. Its HUGELY popular. On the other hand, [name]Eliana[/name] is #203. I don’t know if this bothers you at all, but a lot of people don’t always realize how popular a name is. So I just wanted to point it out to you.
[name]Maya[/name] - [name]Maya[/name] is #72, so a little less popular than [name]Sophia[/name] but still up there. And I actually like the way [name]Sophia[/name] sounds with [name]Eliana[/name] a little better.
[name]Aveline[/name]- now this name is not even ranked in the top 1000! :slight_smile: She could very well be the only one around your town!
[name]Peyton[/name] - This one (while I just [name]LOVE[/name] it) has the same feel as [name]Avery[/name] to me. It is very unisex. I’m not sure that it has the “girly-factor” you were saying you hoped to achieve.
[name]Bella[/name] - This one feels all nicknamey to me. It’s very pretty, but I feel its better suited to a middle.
[name]Jocelyn[/name]- I looked this up on the SSA popularity site and was surprised to learn that its#67. To me it feels like a 90’s name.

Boy:
[name]Alexander[/name] - strong and classic. I like it, but so do a lot of people. Its number 6… (PS- I like the nn [name]Xander[/name])
[name]Owen[/name] - Oh how I love thee! Its number 58, though :frowning:

Please don’t hate me! I looked back at what I wrote and I realized that I didn’t write a whole lot of positive things…So sorry. I just know that we, here at nameberry, will be able to find the perfect name for you. And in reality our opinions are just that…our opinions. Please take them with a grain of salt. In hopes of ACTUALLY helping you, I’m going to include some name suggestions. Sorry for repeats… :slight_smile: Have a fabulous day and Good [name]Luck[/name]! :slight_smile:

Here’s some names that are around the same popularity as [name]Eliana[/name] (#203):

Girls:
[name]Tessa[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name]! #202)
[name]Amaya[/name] #198
[name]Julianna[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name]! but might be too matchy) #194
[name]Bianca[/name] #204
[name]Clara[/name] #206
[name]Josephine[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name]!) #208
[name]Scarlett[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name]!) #210
[name]Nora[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name]!) #216
[name]Annabelle[/name] #188 (nn [name]Bella[/name])

Boys:
[name]Camden[/name] #204
[name]Roman[/name] #205 ([name]LOVE[/name]!)
[name]Asher[/name] #206
[name]Abraham[/name] #187
[name]Lincoln[/name] #212 ([name]LOVE[/name]!)
[name]Rylan[/name] #217 ([name]LOVE[/name]!)
[name]Calvin[/name] #228

And here’s some that I just thought you might like :slight_smile: :

Girls:
[name]Emmeline[/name] (nn [name]Emme[/name])
[name]Cordelia[/name] (nn [name]Cora[/name]/[name]Delia[/name])
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] (nn [name]Tori[/name])
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] (nn [name]Mattie[/name]/[name]Tillie[/name]/[name]Tilda[/name])
[name]Violet[/name] (nn [name]Vi[/name]/[name]Lettie[/name])
[name]Amalia[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Cara[/name]

Boys:
[name]Oliver[/name] (nn [name]Ollie[/name])
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Oran[/name]
[name]August[/name] (nn [name]Augie[/name]/[name]Gus[/name])
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]
[name]Everett[/name] (nn [name]Rhett[/name])
[name]Harrison[/name] (nn [name]Harry[/name])
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Quincy[/name] (nn [name]Quinn[/name])
[name]Wade[/name]
[name]Edward[/name] (nn [name]Ward[/name])
[name]Liam[/name][/quote]

[name]Elaina[/name] #462
Girls:
[name]Rosa[/name] #457
[name]Athena[/name] #455
[name]Kathleen[/name] #452
[name]Juliet[/name] #451
[name]Emery[/name] #468
[name]Kiana[/name] #474
[name]Meredith[/name] #445

Boys:
[name]Kellen[/name] #444
[name]Milo[/name] #449
[name]Chandler[/name] #457
[name]Reese[/name] #462
[name]Quinton[/name] #464
[name]Damon[/name] #472
[name]Beckett[/name] #480
[name]Brycen[/name] #483

Not a problem! I can see how the mix-up would happen. My husband wanted to spell it [name]Alayna[/name] which might have been less confusing.

Also funny- I noticed [name]Quinton[/name] was on your last list of boys- that is my husband’s first name, actually. Unfortunately, he has always hated his first name, so you see I have my work cut out for me.

Maybe some names your husband will like?
(I noticed you said the popularity doesn’t bother you as much, either…so maybe you’ll like some of these, too?)

Girls:
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name]

Boys:
[name]Ashton[/name]
[name]Blake[/name]
[name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]
[name]Trenton[/name]
[name]Ethan[/name]
[name]Noah[/name]

Also, here are a few blog entries that I thought might help you out. (or you might just enjoy reading them!) :slight_smile: I’m sorry, I think I’m going totally overboard! But I’m having a blast re-reading some of these! I think the last two, especially, might help you and hubby come to a compromise!

https://nameberry.com/blog/2009/07/03/but-olivia-is-my-favorite-name/

https://nameberry.com/blog/2009/07/06/kissing-cousin-names-names-that-dont-look-related-but-are/

https://nameberry.com/blog/2009/08/31/emmas-daughters/

https://nameberry.com/blog/2009/07/22/the-clementine-clique-trendy-names-ending-in-ine/

https://nameberry.com/blog/2009/05/29/hidden-gems-on-the-popularity-list/

These last two are quite fun!!
I found all these other ones while TRYING to find these last two :slight_smile:

https://nameberry.com/blog/2009/04/21/nameberry-makeover-renovating-the-top-ten-girls-names/

https://nameberry.com/blog/2009/04/23/nameberry-makeover-boys-edition/

Oops! I, too, misread [name]Elaina[/name] as [name]Eliana[/name], only because I’ve been seeing [name]Eliana[/name] a lot lately! I apologize, and want you to know that I love [name]Elaina[/name]! :slight_smile:

Of the new names you’ve listed, I can see [name]Bella[/name] with [name]Elaina[/name], but it feels like another “el” name with [name]Elaina[/name]. I can see [name]Alexander[/name] with [name]Elaina[/name], too.

I’m sorry for the mistake! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Girl:
[name]Sydney[/name] [name]Elise[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Maya[/name]

My favorite of these with [name]Elaina[/name] is [name]Maya[/name]. [name]Yvette[/name] would be pretty, too.

Boy:
[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Addison[/name]
[name]Cameron[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]

None of these go with [name]Elaina[/name] imo. [name]Albert[/name] would be handsome.

Girl:
[name]Peyton[/name]
[name]Bella[/name]
[name]Jocelyn[/name]

None of the above names is as pretty as [name]Elaina[/name].
[name]Celeste[/name] would be pretty. Maybe [name]Delphine[/name].
I will have to add more later because my daughter needs the computer! Okay, I’m back.
[name]Amandine[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Cecile[/name], [name]Cecily[/name], [name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Flavia[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Irini[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Tereza[/name]
[name]Zandra[/name] nn [name]Zandie[/name]

Boy:
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]

[name]Alexander[/name] nn [name]Zander[/name] would be handsome with [name]Elaina[/name].
Also,
[name]Alfred[/name]
[name]Berlin[/name] - great for a middle name
[name]Clive[/name]
[name]Crispin[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name]
[name]Gilbert[/name]
[name]Ivo[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Javier[/name]
[name]Jules[/name]
[name]Laird[/name]
[name]Laszlo[/name]
[name]Marcel[/name]
Menno
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Nico[/name]
[name]Olivier[/name]
[name]Paolo[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Remy[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]

Girl:
[name]Sydney[/name] [name]Elise[/name] - i find it hard to like place names, so i really don’t care for this one.
[name]Avery[/name] - i don’t think this goes well with [name]Elaina[/name] as the other names, but i like it!
[name]Sophia[/name] - used to hate this name, but now i think is really pretty
[name]Maya[/name] - don’t really care for this one

My favorites are [name]Avery[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name], but I think [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Sydney[/name] go best with [name]Elaina[/name].

Boy:
[name]Noah[/name] - i like this one the best AND i think it goes best with [name]Elaina[/name]
[name]Addison[/name] - a popular girls name, u might not want to name ur son this
[name]Cameron[/name] - just ok for me
[name]Sawyer[/name] - just ok for me