New BookBlog where names are critiqued

I just started my book blog recently and am really loving it!

The books are mainly YA, even if I’m a bit less Y (young) and more on the A (adult) side. These are the kind of books I enjoy, they have the best covers and (I am seeing) some of the best names!

I just wanted to tell you guys because hey, why not, right? Here is the link-

http://themodpodgebookshelf.blogspot.com/

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name] <3

[name]Young[/name] adult books are great for names (and I read a lot of them, I’m on the Y side of YA). Sometimes a book will catch my eye because it has an intriguing name-- I was browsing the other day and came across a book with a character named [name]Jessamine[/name], so naturally I had to check it out! :slight_smile: The Hunger Games (and its sequels) have some pretty great names-- [name]Octavia[/name], Venia, [name]Lavinia[/name], [name]Primrose[/name], [name]Cinna[/name], etc. So does [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], and (even though I’m not a fan of the books) Twilight. Sometimes I get the feeling that authors are secretly name-nerds, judging from their character names. I saw that you have [name]Amy[/name] and [name]Roger[/name]'s Epic Detour on your list; I recently read that and thought [name]Amelia[/name] nn [name]Amy[/name] and [name]Roger[/name] were really refreshing, not to mention other characters ([name]Bronwyn[/name], [name]Lucien[/name])! Great topic!

Thanks for checking it out! There is a 2011 release I just learned about (with Sirens, I am a huge fan of Sirens) and the name of the girl is Esmerina! If I didn’t love Sirens I would read it for that name!

I very recently started reading Book Review Blogs, especially ones that mainly do YA because this category is so hit or miss for me. I read all of them on my Nook and don’t take advantage of that handy little “[name]Free[/name] Sample” button often enough so most of the time, I end up disappointed.

I’m happy that you’re critiquing names! I find that they are so central to the story for me. They let me know if the author put a lot into the story or if it’s one of those ‘blah’ books with typical names and typical pairings and no big surprises (I don’t know if you’ve read or if you like Shiver and Linger but I was so bored. [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Sam[/name]? Meh). If a story has great character names, I tend to stick around.

BTW, [name]Amy[/name] and [name]Rogers[/name] Epic Detour is actually the book that got me into Book Review Blogs. I had no idea they existed until that book. I’ve only stayed up into the early morning to finish the HP books but I found myself reading well past 12 am to finish AaRED.

I suppose I am technically a YA, so maybe that’s why I’m still drawn to them. I just can’t ever get what I want from them. That’s why I love reading the blogs and then I’ll look up the books on [name]Barnes[/name] and [name]Noble[/name], save them to a wish list and download them to my Nook later if I need something on the go.

I’m completely in agreement with [name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Mae[/name] on names being central to the story. I read all of the Twilight books, thought they were a bit of fun … and then they named the baby Reneesme. I was reading Breaking [name]Dawn[/name] late at night, and I woke my room mate up, so loud did I exclaim “They named her what? WHY?” :smiley:

Oh, and the other day I picked up a book named Isola, just because of that name (I can’t tell you yet if it’s any good or not). It immediately piqued my interest.

[name]Auburn[/name]

Well, I am very honest, you will get the truth from me, in fact I’m going to be releasing a very honest review of “The Lonely Hearts Club” soon and I will hopefully be saving other readers a lot of time by saying ‘steer clear’! I’m also releasing a review of “Halo” which I loved so much I’m smiling thinking of it! And of the names! Get this- [name]Bethany[/name], [name]Gabriel[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], Taylah, [name]Molly[/name], [name]Xavier[/name] need I say more?

I have this theory that the better the names, the better the story. I think it’s because the author cared that smigen more to really begin giving their characters not just a story, but a life! And that life started with a slamming name!

Check it out and follow me if you’re interested!

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name] <3

I agree about Twilight, I always loved [name]Bella[/name], it being my nn first; [name]Esme[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name] sent my Twi-love to new levels!

Who wrote Isola? The name is beautiful! All I could find was a book with the premise written in german.

I agree about Twilight, I always loved [name]Bella[/name], it being my nn first; [name]Esme[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name] sent my Twi-love to new levels!

Who wrote Isola? The name is beautiful! All I could find was a book with the premise written in german.[/quote]

The author is [name]German[/name] - [name]Isabel[/name] Abedi - but you can get it in English from amazon.co.uk, and so I presume also from amazon.com.

[name]Auburn[/name]

Who wrote Isola? The name is beautiful! All I could find was a book with the premise written in german.[/quote]

The author is [name]German[/name] - [name]Isabel[/name] Abedi - but you can get it in English from amazon.co.uk, and so I presume also from amazon.com.

[name]Auburn[/name][/quote]

Good, then I found the right book, too bad it’s not in french, then I could read it. Maybe Amazon will list the summary in english.