New kids at the daycare/Alcohol Ingredient?

Hey there. Whenever we get new kids at the daycare with interesting names (and this daycare has a ton of interesting names) i like to post them for you guys. So we got 2 new kids at the daycare this week. Tell me what you think about them.

Jayton – This is the name of a new little boy (3) at the daycare. I’ve never heard of this before. It’s not [name]Jason[/name], [name]Jaden[/name], or [name]Jalen[/name]. Thoughts?

[name]Midori[/name] – sister of [name]Maddison[/name]. [name]Midori[/name] is a sweet melon Liqueur and is also [name]Green[/name] in Japanese (as far as I’m aware) and I found it very strange that one girl has a classically masculine but very popular girls name, and the other has a alcoholic/color name. Not that it’s not pretty, just…eh

Jayton just seems like another fish in the [name]Brayden[/name] [name]Hayden[/name] [name]Jayden[/name] sea honestly… at least it’s something different. Nothing WRONG with the name, but I’d prefer something less expected.

[name]Midori[/name] doesn’t seem to match w/ her sister’s name, but the nn [name]Dori[/name] is cute. So is the image of green/ melons being part of her name… just ignore the alcohol part ;D

[name]Midori[/name] is a japanese name. It’s not unheard of like naming your kid [name]Green[/name] in english. I have a relative with this name, named after a dear friend. The juxtaposition next to [name]Maddison[/name] is a little surprising, but I find it refreshing when kids are not treated like they need to match.

@ Feisty – I would consider naming a kid [name]Green[/name] unheard of :slight_smile: [name]IMO[/name]

Jayton sounds to me like they liked [name]Payton[/name] and wanted it to be yooneek.

[name]Midori[/name]… I like how it sounds, and colour names are nice. But yeah, [name]Midori[/name] is my drink of choice at the cocktail bar, so I’d have trouble getting past that association. But then I have the same issue with the name [name]Bailey[/name].

I actually really like the name [name]Midori[/name]! Jayten or whatever just sounds like a speech impediment to me, sorry. At least he will always have “[name]Jay[/name]” to go by.

On Feisty’s point… naming your kid [name]Green[/name] would be odd, but [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Azure[/name], these are all lovely colour names.

In Japan, it is not weird to name your child after a colour, season, or even fruit. It’s just different culture. Although I can see how this could sound odd outside of Japan or a Japanese family. [name]Midori[/name] is quite normal here.

Dh just called Midori a stripper name. Which is disappointing because he is part Japanese. Maybe he wil come around. I love color/plant/season names.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. [name]Green[/name] as a name is unheard of in English, but [name]Midori[/name] is a common girls’ name in Japan.

I’ve always thought [name]Midori[/name] would be a pretty name.

My best friend’s half sister is named [name]Midori[/name], I think it’s adorable (It helps that she is an adorable little girl, so I have a good association with it).

I love [name]Midori[/name]; it’s one of my favorite Japanese names. I read a lot of manga, and many Japanese names have very natural meanings. (If you’re interested in Japanese names and want to see a large selection in one place, check out the manga 7 Seeds, as the characters are all deliberately named something pertaining to different seasons. It’s really, really good, too!)

Jayton…sounds like it tried and couldn’t.

If she was Japanese I would think it was a lovely name, but otherwise not.

With the ‘melon’ aspect to her name if she is particularly flat-chested or well-endowed as she gets older there will be a tonne of jokes waiting to be made. Makes me think of [name]Melanie[/name]; once I heard a joke of this name being melon-y (like a melon) I could never take it seriously any more.

And I pass on Jayton, def NMS

I think maybe it wouldn’t have been so weird if she had been Japanese. Instead, she’s a little wispy girl with short red hair and big blue eyes. I’ll get use to it though. [name]Midori[/name], or Jayton, are neither the most cringe worthy names at this daycare in my opinion. We have a Joliealyn. ([name]Joe[/name]-[name]LEE[/name]-uh-lyn) >.<

I love [name]Midori[/name]! It’s my cousins name, and her sister is called [name]Genevieve[/name] so there is a similar juxtaposition of styles. While I get the appeal of “sib sets,” I think it is more important to choose beautiful and meaningful names than to be matchy. When our [name]Midori[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] were small I don’t think many people were familiar with either name, so they had a certain uniqueness in common.

Thanks imum… Now I can’t can’t take Melon-y seriously haha.

Jayton just makes me squirm but I like [name]Midori[/name] I thought it was Midon when I first looked which I like more.

I love [name]Midori[/name]! I have met two Midoris here in [name]England[/name]- neither of whom were Japenese, interestingly.
Perhaps they had some Japenese heritage, but by the by the name worked beautifully on each (despite that they were totally different ages)
I think ‘green’ is a lovely meaning- the alcohol thing doesn’t bother me, people name their kids after much weirder things and ‘green’ is obviously the most manifest meaning. [name]Dori[/name] is an adorable nickname, too. Hadn’t thought of that.

Jayton makes me squirm too. Fairly unanimous opinions on Jayton it seems!
If the name fitted better with the rest of my style, I would seriously consider using it.

I knew a girl named [name]Midori[/name]! I think it’s a nice enough name, but not one I’d ever use. Luckily though, the [name]Midori[/name] I knew has left a good impression :slight_smile:

Jayton is eh. It reminds me of my brother’s name (Brayton), but it sounds weird to start with a J…It’s not terrible but definitely not good.