New name I've found - Elling

I’ve just been reading through some of the old names from the area I live in (parish records, [name_m]Norfolk[/name_m] /Suffolk, [name_f]England[/name_f]) and came across the girls name Elling & a few girls were called this apparently.
Thoughts?
I quite like this, I find it interesting, also nicknames would obviously be more conventional. I had a quick Google & can’t find much about it. Any ideas where it’s from, meaning etc?

2 Likes

Hmm, it reminds me of the Danish word for duckling (ælling). It has a quite sweet sound and imagery imo because of it. I will say it’s a brave choice though. It sounds quite unisex to me and I could see it on a boy as well.

2 Likes

Yes I agree. I think it may be. I like it. It’s a bit out there yet seems familiar?

1 Like

Never heard of this either, that’s a nice name, I really like that one too. Yes I think probably does originate from a sir name. I think years ago people also has mothers maiden names as their middle names so you can see how it comes about, [name_f]My[/name_f] grandfather has a sirname middle name from his mothers original surname

1 Like

Elling is sweet and interesting

1 Like

I like it a lot! I would imagine it’s from a local surname or something like that. It reminds me a little of [name_u]Blake[/name_u] Lively’s middle name, Ellender, which I think is really cool.

1 Like

It reminds me of [name_u]Ellington[/name_u], which I love for a boy. A surname and place name, that probably evolved to a given name. A quick search shows that its derived from Norwegian/Germanic languages.

1 Like

I like it! It is unusual and interesting!

1 Like

I like it! The only hesitation I would have is it’s probably gonna be misheard as ‘[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]’ a lot, but that would be an easy fix.

1 Like

This reminds me so much of “[name_u]Ellington[/name_u],” so I feel like this name is a surname baby name. It’s so spunky, I think I love it!

I really like it! I think I actually prefer it on a boy – like a less extravagant form of [name_u]Ellington[/name_u]!

1 Like

It reminds me of [name_u]Ellington[/name_u]. It’s nice but I’m not sure if I can see it as a name.

I think it’s interesting, though I suspect it might be misheard as “[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]” a lot.

I have a dictionary of surnames that I just checked, and it does have an entry on Elling!

[name_u]North[/name_u] [name_m]German[/name_m]: habitational name for someone from any of several places in northern [name_u]Germany[/name_u] named Ellingen or Eldingen.

I really like Elling - it sounds sweet and quirky.

1 Like

Oh, I love this! I agree that it might be prone to being misheard as [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] or [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] but that wouldn’t bother me. I think it works for either a boy or girl too. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it for a girl though.

1 Like

Elling is a boy- coded name in Norway and is actually used for the main character in a great book-/ movie series! Because the series is the kind that everyone knows about, and its strong association with the character, it’s almost gone completely out of use. There’s just under 500 men with the name. A more common, although a little dated now, name is the similar [name_m]Erling[/name_m].