New Surname

So my girlfriend and I have been together for a few years and enjoy daydreaming about getting married someday. We’re both women. Neither of us is particularly connected to out last names and we would like to choose something new for us.

Criteria / Ideas

• Family tree
    We don’t want to choose an old family name because we don’t want to choose one family over the other.
  • Mashing our last names:
    Gaul and Hinken
  • Symbolic ideas:
    Ampersand (& for coming together)
  • Just pretty names like:
    Storie

Any suggestions appreciated

Lincoln
[name_u]Campbell[/name_u]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]
Fairwood

1 Like

I love Ampersand, that’s so quirky (and sweet)! Ginken could maybe be a mashup?! I can see why you wouldn’t want to choose one family over the other, but would you be open to maybe choosing a name from each side and smushing them together or even double barreling?

I also love names that honour romantic relationships and I think that could be a cool avenue to explore for you. Maybe you could go with a meaningful place name (where you met, where you like to visit, a favourite holiday destination, etc) or maybe the month or day when you met (particularly if it’s something cool sounding like [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f] or [name_f]September[/name_f]!).

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Ampersand is interesting!

1 Like

Thanks! I do really love the meaning and the sound, it’s hard to beat. I think I just want to make sure I’ve thought through all my options so I know Ampersand is the right choice. I appreciate the affirmations

3 Likes

Yeah, mashups with those names are pretty hard… Ginken is better than what we came up with though. I hadn’t thought about choosing older family names to mix together, that’s a good idea!

I hadn’t thought about using the month or days when we met, that could be nice. It would be [name_f]Monday[/name_f] or [name_f]February[/name_f], or maybe [name_f]May[/name_f] for when we said I love you.

3 Likes

Winter or Spring!

Would Evoli be strange? (I love backwards)
Amor
Amour
Amore
Liebe

1 Like

Kenniau
Hingal
Gauke
Inkal
Hinega
Agen
Lauken
Launin
Launik
Galik
Lunnik
[name_f]Luanne[/name_f]
[name_m]Luke[/name_m]
[name_m]Luken[/name_m]
Hinga

1 Like

Galkin sounds like the perfect mashup.

1 Like

You could try translations of the words like love or heart. You’d get ideas like [name_u]Amor[/name_u], Amore, Libe, and Calon

Spelling things backwards might be another good approach, thanks for pointing that out

1 Like

Galen comes to mind? I also love your idea of Ampersand!

1 Like