Niamh

I’ve ALWAYS loved [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]. I’ve forced it off my list because I don’t like [name_f]Neve[/name_f] & I didn’t think it would work in the USA, but I’m just not getting over my crush…

Niamh in USA?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
  • As a middle

0 voters

Mira-[name_f]Vela[/name_f] [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]?
  • Yes
  • Kind of
  • Maybe
  • Probably not
  • No

0 voters

WDTY of [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]?
  • Love
  • Unbiased
  • Dislike
  • Hate
  • Other (comments)

0 voters

How would you instinctually pronounce it?
  • ny-um
  • ny-am
  • nee-um
  • nee-am
  • neev
  • neem
  • naym
  • Other (comments)

0 voters

Bump

Bump

I love [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]! [name_f]Neve[/name_f] too, but I prefer [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]. [name_m]Can[/name_m]’t reliably comment on usability in the U.S., but I think if [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] manages it, then a [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] can too.

2 Likes

Niamh is a great little Irish name really sweet and happy sounding. Niamh is lovely. Niamh is very usable in England where I am but I can’t provide reliable information about her being usable for USA but don’t see why not it’s a simple choice really.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]. In the UK it’s fairly popular but even so, people still mispronounce it. It’s easily corrected though

1 Like

I love [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]. It’s a beautiful name. I’m not sure I would recommend it in the US however, unless you live in an area that has a sizeable Irish population and people are familiar with authentic Irish names (somewhere like [name_m]Boston[/name_m] maybe?).

1 Like

I know a [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] in US so I think it’s usable however without knowing this person my instinctual pronunciation was Knee-am-uh” . Not a big fan sorry!

1 Like

I’m not in the US, so it’s hard to say, but I think it’s one that is growing in general awareness. She might have to correct people sometimes, but so did the [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] I went to school with, and because of her there’s now many people who know how to say [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]!

I didn’t love [name_f]Mira[/name_f]-[name_f]Vela[/name_f] [name_f]Niamh[/name_f], but I do like just [name_f]Mira[/name_f] [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]. I might be biased because I already adore [name_f]Mira[/name_f] and [name_f]Niamh[/name_f].

1 Like

I know 2 Niamhs in the US (one lives in the Midwest and one on the [name_u]West[/name_u] Coast), plus a [name_f]Neve[/name_f]. Some people may not be able to pronounce it at first sight, but it’s easy to learn and totally usable.

1 Like

I’m the US: I know of a little girl [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] thru work and all of my co-workers pronounced it like [name_u]Liam[/name_u]. They were surprised that it was pronounced Neev. I think people can pick it up pretty quick and it’s not too long of a name that will take forever to spell out.

1 Like

Hi there.

Niamh is so pretty! It’s strong & sleek & smart & a little pixie-ish. And I totally agree that [name_f]Neve[/name_f] is not nearly as special. I have a bunch of little Irish named nephews living in the U.S. Sometimes people get confused on how to say/spell their names, but it’s no big deal. They figure it out eventually, & it’s totally worth it to have a beautiful unique authentically spelled name.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There was a girl named [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] in the grade ahead of me through middle and high school. Our eighth grade science teacher was the only teacher who ever pronounced her name correctly on the first try. Everyone thought it was really cool and pretty but the pronunciation issues would be present.

I adore [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]. It’s on my Irish shortlist (my list for if my future husband is at least half Irish and within two generations of emigration). I have it as a middle to follow [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u].

I pronounce it NEEof where the two syllables pretty much blend together and the second syllable is an unstressed mix between of and iv. I’d love to insert a voice clip but I don’t know how.

Fiadh [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] feels very singsongy to me because [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] and [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] almost rhyme. [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] is basically just [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] with an N sound instead of the F with a very soft v at the end. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] that makes some amount of sense. If not, please tell me how to insert a clip haha.

I like [name_f]Niamh[/name_f], I’ve only ever met one. I’m not sure precisely how well it would work in the US, but I’m thinking it might be fine. I feel like [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] is one of the more exposed Irish names, so people might be aware of how to pronounce [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]?

Yes, yes, yes to [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]! I’ve met Roisins, Saoirses, Siobhans, Maeves, Aislinns, etc., so why not [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]? It might require a couple corrections but I would love to meet a [name_f]Niamh[/name_f].

1 Like

I love [name_f]Niamh[/name_f]! It has a cool meaning and a gorgeous sound. I think it works. I’ve seen a few girls named [name_f]Aisling[/name_f] in the US before.

1 Like

Niamh is one of what I would consider a more well-known Gaelic name, so while I think that yes, you’d have to spell it out and correct pronunciation from time to time that most people will get it eventually. Irish Gaelic names are becoming increasingly popular too, they’re not as uncommon as they once were, so people are getting more used to seeing them (which I think is a great thing!)
I definitely prefer [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] to [name_f]Neve[/name_f], it looks much prettier to me.

1 Like

I’m in the US and familiar with [name_f]Niamh[/name_f], but I can’t say how familiar other people are with it. However, I think it’s perfectly usable. You will definitely have to explain how it’s pronounced at least some of the time, so if that doesn’t bother you, go for it. I love [name_f]Niamh[/name_f].

1 Like

Bump! :grin: