Nickname for Emily

My husband and I agree that we want our baby, [name]Emily[/name], to go by a 2 syllable nickname (all our other kids have 2 syll. so that’s what we want). Anyway, we can’t seem to agree. I really like [name]Emma[/name] as a nickname for [name]Emily[/name], but he likes [name]Millie[/name], which I don’t love the way I love [name]Emma[/name]. My mother votes for [name]Emmy[/name], but I don’t know how that would sound on an adult.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

[name]Emmy[/name] is an adorable nickname and she can go by whatever she wants as an adult really, although I think [name]Emmy[/name] is fine for an adult too. [name]Emma[/name] as a nickname for [name]Emily[/name] seems like an odd choice bc [name]Emma[/name] is a name in and of itself.

All of those are fine, though I tend to side with your mother and husband prefering [name]Emme[/name] and [name]Millie[/name].

I wouldn’t be too worried about what suits an adult - the nickname you use for her won’t be the same her friends at school use, or what she is called in her workplace or by adult friends when she is grown.

Also as her parent you can get away with calling her by a more cutesy nickname well into adulthood because it will probably only be said in the home.

My sister is an [name]Emily[/name] and goes by [name]Em[/name] or [name]Emmy[/name] as an adult with family and friends and [name]Emily[/name] at work. It really is perfect for her and I think would be very sweet for a child and can for sure follow into adulthood

I have a cousin named [name]Emily[/name] [name]Luella[/name]. When she was a baby, she was [name]Lulu[/name]. As a child, it was [name]Emmy[/name] [name]Lu[/name]. Now as a teenager, it’s just [name]Emmy[/name] and I think that suits a young woman just fine. Nicknames are very fluid, don’t worry about it too much.

As an adult, she’ll likely just go by [name]Emily[/name] or [name]Em[/name] as a quick nn. As a child, [name]Emmy[/name] is adorable! Think about the Jennifers and [name]Daniels[/name] out there–prob went by [name]Jenny[/name] and [name]Danny[/name] as kids, then [name]Jen[/name] or [name]Dan[/name] as adults

Thanks everyone! Maybe [name]Emmy[/name] is ok for a teen or an adult. I do really love [name]Emma[/name], but I guess it’s confusing because it is it’s own name. I don’t love [name]Millie[/name], so that’s off the list. For some reason [name]Emily[/name] feels like a mouthful, but maybe I just thinking about it too much! [name]Emmy[/name] is adorable:) Thanks!

I agree with all others. vote for emmy. emma is other name so it’s confusing. [name]Millie[/name]'s great, but I’ll think about [name]Millicent[/name], [name]Mildred[/name], etc.
So, [name]Emmy[/name] for [name]Emily[/name].

What about:

[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Mila[/name]

I’m not a fan of [name]Emily[/name], it seems dated (it was almost my name but am glad it isn’t) However, I love the nickname [name]Emmi[/name]. [name]Em[/name] is cute and will be used a lot. I love that [name]Millie[/name] is coming back even though it is not a personal favourite. [name]Emma[/name] I do not love as a nickname for [name]Emily[/name] as everyone will think it is her full name, but it is fine. Congrats :slight_smile: [name]Millie[/name] will age the best by the way, [name]IMO[/name].

I don’t think [name]Emily[/name] sounds dated, I think it sounds sweet! I like [name]Emmy[/name] as well, especially spelled like this… she’s my little award! :slight_smile:

I know a little girl named [name]Emily[/name] sho goes by [name]Emmy[/name]. I think it’s sweet and cute.:slight_smile:

[name]Emily[/name] is one of my best friend’s names, and we always called her [name]Em[/name] or [name]Emily[/name]. In my opinion it’s a very easy to say 3-syllable. But I do like the idea of [name]Emmy[/name] too!

We are naming our new baby girl [name]Emily[/name] too. I plan on calling her [name]Emme[/name] or [name]Emma[/name]. I think both are cute and work fine with [name]Emily[/name]. What middle name did you pick?

Hmm… [name]Emily[/name] doesnt really need a nickname…[name]Em[/name] and [name]Emmy[/name] seem the most natural and least contrived…[name]Emma[/name] is its own name…and there are sooo many [name]Emma[/name]'s it is just ridicoulous…I almost named my daughter [name]Emma[/name]…whew

We choose [name]Grace[/name] for a middle name (it has special meaning to me). I was planning on calling her [name]Emma[/name], but nobody seems to agree that [name]Emma[/name] is a nickname for [name]Emily[/name]. [name]Emmy[/name]/[name]Emme[/name] is growing on me though. And I think [name]Emmy[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is very cute! [name]Do[/name] you think you will always call her [name]Emma[/name]/[name]Emme[/name], or do you plan on calling her [name]Emily[/name], too? Congrats!

Thanks again for all your input! It seems the problem has solved itself… [name]Emily[/name]'s twin sister has just begun talking and she is calling her “[name]Emma[/name]” instead of [name]Emily[/name] because it is easier to say. I’m secretly happy because I always wanted her nickname to be [name]Emma[/name]! And it sounds so CUTE in [name]Olivia[/name]'s little voice! My husband and I agree now that it is adorable, so [name]Emma[/name] she will be!

I do hope it wont be confusing for her or anyone else, but I doubt it will be…

Thanks again!