Nickname for Evelyn?

Could you use [name]Elle[/name] as a nickname for [name]Evelyn[/name]? Does that work?

I think it could work. I think most would assume it was [name]Evelyn[/name] nn [name]Evie[/name], or [name]Elle[/name] was a nn for a name like [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Eliana[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], etc., but I do think it’s do-able. :slight_smile:

I think [name]Ellie[/name] as a nickname for [name]Evelyn[/name] can work!

I have the same thoughts about it. The problem is, I don’t care for the nickname [name]Evie[/name], but I prefer the name [name]Evelyn[/name] over the longer “[name]El[/name]” names. Plus, I have a co-worker who is naming her baby [name]Eleanor[/name] a month before my baby is born. I really wish that wasn’t happening, so at least I could consider it as an option! The whole issue is that for years, I was planning on naming my baby girl [name]Elle[/name], but I told it to a friend who then stole it! The friend also has the same last name as me! (I posted about it in a previous thread a few weeks back). I would love to still call my baby [name]Elle[/name], so I felt like giving her a longer name and having [name]Elle[/name] for a nickname would be the perfect solution. However, I’m having trouble finding a name I like that can be shortened to [name]Elle[/name]!

Named could be shortened to [name]Elle[/name]

[name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Elide[/name]
[name]Eliane[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Elenie[/name]
[name]Electra[/name]
Elisabelle
[name]Elizabeth[/name] (and all it’s version)
Elisette
[name]Elodie[/name]
Elodine
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
Elorie

I don’t see how [name]Evelyn[/name] could be [name]Elle[/name] but I like evie, vivi, vinnie

I do think [name]Evelyn[/name] nn [name]Elle[/name] could work in that case, then. Or have you considered a longer name that ends in -elle, like:

[name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Noelle[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Danielle[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]/[name]Arabelle[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Estelle[/name]/[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Bellamy[/name]/[name]Bellatrix[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Christabelle[/name]
[name]Belle[/name] (similar in sound to [name]Elle[/name], with a slightly different feeling? I think it might be different enough, but I’m not sure it would appeal to you)
[name]Corabelle[/name]
[name]Emmanuelle[/name]
[name]Hazelle[/name]/[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Rachel[/name]/[name]Rachelle[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]/[name]Laurelle[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Maribelle[/name]
[name]Roselle[/name]/[name]Rosabelle[/name]
[name]Sibelle[/name]/[name]Sybil[/name]/[name]Sybella[/name]

I think all of those could easily get the nn [name]Elle[/name]. Or even just an “L” name, since L and [name]Elle[/name] sound the same–[name]Lucy[/name], [name]Lila[/name], [name]Liliana[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Lilia[/name], [name]Laura[/name]/[name]Laurel[/name], [name]Lorelei[/name], [name]Luna[/name], etc…

Good luck!

I think you can nickname your child whatever you want. Others may call her [name]Vivi[/name] or something, or some may assume that it’s short for something it isn’t, but in the end it doesn’t matter.

If [name]Evelyn[/name] calls out to you more than other girl’s names, use it! You can also name her [name]Elle[/name] despite your friend’s choices, IMHO.

I am not sure I understand the conflict. [name]Just[/name] name her [name]Elle[/name]. It is a completely different name than [name]Eleanor[/name].

The conflict isn’t with my co-worker naming her baby [name]Eleanor[/name] - I just said I wish I could still consider that option as a longer name for [name]Elle[/name]. I won’t consider it, because I’m not going to give my baby the same name as the one person at work who just had a baby right before me, but there’s no real conflict when it comes to [name]Eleanor[/name].
No, the real conflict is actually with the name [name]Elle[/name]. [name]Elle[/name] is what I actually wanted to name my baby for years, but another friend named her daughter [name]Elle[/name] right after I told her that. I knew from her reaction that she had not thought of the name before. She flat out stole it after she heard it from me. Now, I am not close with that friend, but they do have the same last name as us and many mutual friends. So THAT is where the conflict is. That’s why I’m trying to find a longer name that can be shortened to [name]Elle[/name].

I don’t care for [name]Evelyn[/name] much myself, but I can see [name]Elle[/name] as a short form. There are some great suggestions above, here’s a couple more:

[name]Christelle[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name] (if it worked for [name]Emily[/name] Brontë…)
[name]Elva[/name]

Honesy from all your posts about [name]Elle[/name] you seem very heartbroken about it which I understand. So I think you should go ahead and use [name]Elle[/name] or [name]Eleanor[/name] , because for all you know your coworker could quit or you might move and not see your friend but you would always have your child so why not name them what you really want to name them?

As far as your question as to whether “[name]Elle[/name]” could be a nickname for “[name]Evelyn[/name]”…answer is No. That being said, you can call her anything you want and name her anything you want, and there are many other great names in PP’s that you could use and have the nn [name]Elle[/name]. Bottom line, do what you want…who cares about “who named who what” and “what another person’s name is”. GL!!!

I don’t think [name]Elle[/name] could work as a nn for [name]Evelyn[/name], personally. My favourite nn for [name]Evelyn[/name] is [name]Evie[/name], which is so cute (and actually pretty popular in it’s own right in the UK)

[name]Elle[/name] works, but my favorite is [name]Evie[/name]!

You are right. I am heartbroken about it. I didn’t realize how upset I was about it until I got pregnant. I know we don’t own names, but because of how set on it I was and the fact that we had talked about it, I felt like she took something away from me. Plus, this may be my only daughter. I feel like she should have the name that I love. I have been trying to move on and find a new name, or come to terms with using it anyway despite my friend using it. I’m constantly searching for the right answer. I appreciate everyone’s helpful advice. The more I think about it and the more advice I get, the more I am leaning towards just using [name]Elle[/name] as I had originally planned.