Nickname for Ulysses that isn't Lee or Uly?

My husband loves [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m]. I am not so sure. My daughter is sometimes called [name_u]Lee[/name_u], a name that I adore, but I guess I can’t have 2 Lees! Uly is OK, but since the name itself doesn’t thrill me entirely, I just want to find a nickname that I love a lot. Any ideas?

Apparently Lyss is another option, but I’m not a fan of that either. Any ideas? I’m desperate!

I have [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] on my list. It can have Sea or Ules (like yules or like the boys name [name_u]Jules[/name_u]). He doesn’t come with a lot of nicknames so I’m all for initial nicknames. [name_m]Say[/name_m] your last name starts with an O with a T middle you get Uto (you-toh) or if you do 2 middles and its UKIT then call him [name_u]Kit[/name_u].

Also, nn like teddy work for any name because their sentimental, not based on the name.

[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m]:

[name_u]Les[/name_u], [name_m]Sylas[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]/[name_m]Ysaac[/name_m]? [name_u]Sully[/name_u]?

I think [name_u]Sully[/name_u] is great! Our last name begins with an R. I am open to first + middle combo nicknames @dantea I love that idea! I like to do family middles, but I’m open to suggestions. Thanks!

Well, it’s hard with U but I like UG because it sounds like you-gee (like the beginning of [name_m]Eugene[/name_m]) and I think it’s sweet.

I also like UN because it sounds like you-in and I know there’s name out there that sounds that way but I can’t think of it right now. [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] I think.

You could also do something like [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] and get Uno. Or [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] Arvan and get [name_m]Lars[/name_m].

If you’d like to share some family names you’d like in the middle, we could help you make nicknames that way :slight_smile:

@dantea you are awesome! Thank you so much!

I will list some family names/variations that I am considering

[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_m]Maxim[/name_m]
[name_m]Rock[/name_m]
[name_m]Newton[/name_m]

And here are some I would love to find variations of that I like:

[name_u]Francis[/name_u]
[name_m]Italo[/name_m]
Maurino
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_m]Fish[/name_m] (a surname that would be meaningful)
[name_u]Gray[/name_u] (same)
[name_m]David[/name_m]
[name_f]Christina[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]

[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] [name_m]Rock[/name_m] is neat and I would do something like L’rock, sounds like leh-rock or just [name_m]Lock[/name_m]
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] [name_m]Italo[/name_m] – Lit, [name_u]Sal[/name_u]
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] Fishel – It’s a varient of [name_m]Fish[/name_m] and just means [name_m]Fish[/name_m]. It would give you Sel
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] – is amazing and doesn’t need a variant to me. Uray is cool.
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] Grayden – a variation – [name_m]Len[/name_m], [name_m]Lenny[/name_m], Uden (you-den, I like it :P), Sayd
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] [name_m]Graydon[/name_m] – a variation – [name_u]Lonny[/name_u], [name_m]Lon[/name_m], [name_u]Sonny[/name_u]
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] [name_m]Grayson[/name_m] – same as above
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] Grayer – [name_m]Sayer[/name_m]
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] [name_m]Grayling[/name_m] – [name_m]Sing[/name_m], Ling, Uing (you-ing)
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] – a variation – Sopher, Uto
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] Daveon – form of [name_m]David[/name_m] – [name_m]Leon[/name_m]
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] [name_u]Davon[/name_u] – form of [name_m]David[/name_m] – [name_m]Lon[/name_m], [name_u]Lonny[/name_u], [name_u]Sonny[/name_u], Uvon (you-von)
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] – [name_f]Lin[/name_f], Uro (but that’s like Euro)
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] [name_m]Maxim[/name_m] – [name_m]Sax[/name_m], [name_m]Lim[/name_m], Limmy, [name_m]Sim[/name_m]
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] [name_m]Newton[/name_m] – [name_m]Lew[/name_m], [name_m]Lon[/name_m], [name_u]Lonny[/name_u], [name_u]Sonny[/name_u], Uton (you-ton), Yew (as in the sound the EW in [name_m]Newton[/name_m] makes and the sound the letter U makes)

Well I hope in my ramblings I stumbled on something you think works and that you like :stuck_out_tongue:

[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is really nice. I am starting to think [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] could work for [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] in any combo and might work for me more than [name_u]Sully[/name_u] does. I love the sound of [name_u]Sully[/name_u], but I can’t help but think "to sully’ which is awful. A google of [name_u]Sully[/name_u] has also told me it’s a cartoon character so…

[name_u]Sonny[/name_u] for [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] work, right?

I think [name_u]Sal[/name_u] is great too. But sadly, it sounds a whole lot like the Russian word for pork fat :frowning:

I think [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] is one of those that can work for most any name you stick on a boy simply because, well, that’s your son. [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] has S and EE sounds so…yes, I think [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] works :slight_smile:

I will have to see what my husband thinks on the subject of [name_u]Sully[/name_u] vs [name_u]Sonny[/name_u]

[name_u]Sully[/name_u] feels more modern. I like the heroic aspect of the pilot who emergency landed in the [name_u]Hudson[/name_u] (which we live on) but the negative meaning pretty much drags it all down

[name_u]Sonny[/name_u] is so sweet and retro for me, but it might be too much on an endearment to expect it to catch on & stand the test of time.

I was considering using initials or first + middle combo. I do like the sound of U.N, like [name_m]Ewin[/name_m], but wonder if it’s too evocative of the United Nations.

I’m thinking [name_m]Sy[/name_m] (or [name_m]Cy[/name_m]) could work for a nickname for [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m].

(Alright I only really read the first page because I need to go to work…)
My first thought was [name_u]Yule[/name_u]… it keeps the beginning sound of [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] truthful - at least the way I say it.
I do like the idea of [name_u]Sully[/name_u] as well though.