Nickname for Violet

I have recently found out we are expecting baby number 3! We have decided that we will be finding out the gender this time around, but we won’t find out until the end of [name_f]October[/name_f]. I am trying really hard not to get too crazy about names until we know if we will be naming a boy or a girl, but I can’t help thinking about it anyway! We have one boy ([name_m]Bennett[/name_m]) and one girl ([name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]). Last time the name [name_f]Violet[/name_f] was a serious contender for a girl, and in chats with my husband, it still seems to be near the top of the list for both of us again. My biggest concern is that both [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] and [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] can be (and often are) shortened ([name_m]Ben[/name_m]/[name_m]Ben[/name_m] & [name_f]Anna[/name_f]/[name_f]Bella[/name_f]). I am hoping you guys can help me come up with nn options for the name [name_f]Violet[/name_f], so it’s not out of place with the rest of the sib set. So far we have come up with:
Vy (Pronounced V-I), my Grandmothers name was [name_f]Violet[/name_f] & she went by Vy, but I don’t love it for a little girl
[name_f]Vi[/name_f] (Pronounced V) [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t like the sound of this, and have a bad association
[name_f]Lottie[/name_f] - Really like this, think it’s quite cute, but worry that it’s not a natural enough nickname from [name_f]Violet[/name_f]

So help please Berries! NN suggestions and opinions please.

On another note, current top runner for a boy is [name_u]Rhys[/name_u], which presents the same problem!

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] nn:
Vio- I think there is a poster here who addresses her [name_f]Violet[/name_f] thus. In my head I pronounce it to rhyme w [name_m]Leo[/name_m], idk if she does. I think it’s very cute.
[name_f]Leta[/name_f]
Leti
[name_f]Lottie[/name_f] is supercute and def natural enough if you like it. The sounds are all in the orig name, just in a different order. NN are supposed to be playful and singsongy, yknow?

What are your middle name options? Sometimes it’s fun for nn to come from those.

The only [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] nick I can think of is Rhysie, which I actually quite like. Boy nn options?

Automatically I think of [name_f]Vi[/name_f] and I think most other people will. You could try focusing on the second syllable of her name, like [name_f]Lettie[/name_f], Let, or [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], but I really feel that [name_f]Vi[/name_f] is the only natural nickname for [name_f]Violet[/name_f], and I’m going to guess most people are just as uncreative as I am. You could try insisting people pronounce it Vie as in “vie for ones affections” but it might be a hassle, since it’s not common.
It’s just such a common thing to nickname by shortening people’s names to their first syllable, so common that if you really really hate the nickname [name_f]Vi[/name_f], the name [name_f]Violet[/name_f] may not be the best choice overall.

Meh, idk, my extended family often uses unintuitive nicknames and we don’t have a hard time getting other ppl to use them, too. [name_m]Little[/name_m] kids especially are vigilant re not letting ppl call them by names they don’t feel are theirs. My brother and I both have names with nicknames more common than the long form, but neither of us have ever used those nicknames. You pretty much only have to tell ppl once: Oh, she goes by [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] or [name_f]Violet[/name_f], actually. I think esp if you have an alt nn at the ready, it’s not hard to keep ppl from shortening to the first sylable. Nn from the middle are more fun anyway. :slight_smile:

Most of the names I like have potential nicknames that I’m not fond of. I don’t think you need to let that be a dealbreaker.

My first thought when I read the title was [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]! I disagree with maepae: Vy is much more natural than [name_f]Vi[/name_f] or Vee from [name_f]Violet[/name_f] to me. You could try to get to [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] from the middle two letters, but [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] is much more natural.

Thank you lemonthistle, I hadn’t thought of any of those nn’ and quite like Vio & Leti (but still prefer [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] to Leti even if it is less natural!) Middle names are still very up in the air. The baby will have two middles, and they will be either family names, or names chosen more for significance than sound/flow. They will also likely start with the same initial. We (unintentionally) started this these themes when naming the other two, and now I feel we need to carry on! [name_m]Son[/name_m] is [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u], and daughter is [name_f]Molly[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. It’s funny you mention nicknames coming from middles, as we also call my daughter [name_f]Molly[/name_f]! I do agree that Rhysie is cute! I haven’t been able to come up with any nn’s for [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] myself (other than Rhy/[name_m]Ry[/name_m] which I don’t like).

Maepae, I agree with you that people will most commonly come to the [name_f]Vi[/name_f]/Vie/Vy nn’s on their own, though I personally think Vy is the most natural. But I think lemonthistle is right, about being able to re-direct them. My brother’s name is [name_u]James[/name_u], and he nor my parents ever let people call him [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] or [name_m]Jim[/name_m], he’s 27 and it has never been an issue.

I am not as concerned with what people may call the child, but more with just giving the child another option to go by as they grow up. For example if as he grows, my son decides he would prefer to go by [name_m]Ben[/name_m], than [name_m]Bennett[/name_m], he can do so and it’s still recognized as a name (as are the various variations of [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]).

Lalala_Lauren, I think [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] is adorable. Wouldn’t have thought of it for [name_f]Violet[/name_f], but thinks it’s a super cute NN. I also really like the name [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] - nn [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] for a boy.

As much as I love it, maybe [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is just destined for the middle spot - it is already a family name, which is what we look for in the middle…then I just need to find another “V” name to go with it!

I really appreciate all your suggestions and opinions, and welcome any more input you Berries may have:)

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]! I agree, [name_f]Violet[/name_f] doesn’t seem to have very many adorable nns. I have heard Vio, [name_f]Via[/name_f], [name_f]Io[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_f]Lettie[/name_f], [name_f]Etta[/name_f], [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], and Liddy… I personally love the idea of [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] or Liddy/Litty, but I feel that they’re not very obvious. I think if you stray too far from [name_f]Vi[/name_f] or [name_f]Lettie[/name_f], it’s not going to make much sense. I suppose there’s also [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] (vih-vee?), but while I think that’s cute for someone else’s child, I don’t love it so much for my child.

[name_u]Rhys[/name_u] I love, but I agree, not too many nns there, either? Rhysey/Rhysy, maybe? I think it’s sort of cute. :slight_smile:

Congratulations on number three!

My Grandma is [name_f]Violet[/name_f] but uses a nn based on her middle name (she goes by [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f]).

Well, my advice is that I love the name [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and I think you should use it as a first. :slight_smile: It goes really well with your other kid’s names, too. But, V names are so great in general, it would be fun to come up with a 2nd one for another middle. (I am on the record loving [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] elsewhere, I think this sounds esp great with [name_f]Violet[/name_f]!)

What other names are you considering for firsts? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have other family name possibilities for middles?

I don’t think siblings all need to have nns, and I don’t think [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is really a nn name. Also, if [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] is a nn for [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] can be a nn for [name_f]Violet[/name_f].

My first though was [name_f]Vi[/name_f], pronounced vie, but [name_f]Lettie[/name_f] could be really cute. [name_f]Isla[/name_f] could also be a nickname because of Violet.

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] nn options: (keeping [name_m]Bennett[/name_m]/[name_m]Ben[/name_m] and [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]/[name_f]Anna[/name_f]/[name_f]Bella[/name_f] in mind)
[name_u]Ollie[/name_u]/[name_u]Olly[/name_u]
[name_f]Lottie[/name_f]-I actually thought of this nn first, then thought it is actually not stretching it too much and it seems to work in my opinion
[name_f]Livvie[/name_f]/[name_f]Livy[/name_f] or [name_m]Levi[/name_m]
Personally, I’d go with [name_u]Ollie[/name_u]

i agree w/ namecrazy59 re: [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]

if [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] can use it, i don’t see why [name_f]Violet[/name_f]/ [name_f]Violette[/name_f] can’t. Have to admit i really do like [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] as a nn for [name_f]Violet[/name_f].

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for all the suggestions. So far I really like [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] and [name_u]Ollie[/name_u], and I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]Lola[/name_f], but again would have never thought of it from [name_f]Violet[/name_f]…is it too much of a stretch? (my husband and I have actually discussed [name_f]Lola[/name_f] as a name/nn in previous pregnancies, he never liked it because of the song, but I think it’s adorable…probably wouldn’t use it as a standalone fn, but love it as a nn.)

Lemonthistle, I have my name lists from previous pregnancies, and I always have lots of girl names I love, but I haven’t let myself get too far into names yet, because I am trying to wait until we find out gender! I have had a recent infatuation with the name [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], but a co-worker has a daughter that will be relatively close in age with the name, and I think it would be bordering on name stealing if I was to use it.
As far as middles go, we have honored a lot of family members with the four names we have already used in middle spots, so the choices are getting narrower! Possible for girls middles include [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], and [name_f]Loree[/name_f] (my maiden name), and I will have to look into grandparents middles, ect to see what else I can come up with. I would also consider names that had personal significance to my husband and I, or just a name with a really beautiful meaning.

We always have a really hard time deciding on names, so we really try to finalize the first name first, and then worry about middles. I have had the same issues with each pregnancy, I have lots of girl names I like, and very few boy names I like! I am hoping finding out the gender this time (we never have in the past) will make things easier!

Thanks again for all the help, and I am also open to suggestions of names you think would go great with my other two if you guys have any!