Nickname of River???

Okay, so I love the name [name]River[/name] for a boy. The problem is that my last name also is 2 syllables and ends in -er (sounds like Kutcher). I don’t like the sound of [name]River[/name] Kutcher, so I am looking for a longer version of [name]River[/name]? Is there such a name? [name]Even[/name] a name with RIV in it could work and we could just NN him [name]River[/name]. I am open to any ideas. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I really like the name [name]River[/name] - it’s sort of not my style, but that one is really appealing to me for some reason. My first thought was [name]Rive[/name], like in [name]France[/name], it’s pronounce [name]Reeve[/name]. The word [name]River[/name] in [name]France[/name] is [name]Rivi[/name]”re, Riv-ee-air (or close enough for my French professor!), while [name]Rive[/name] is actually the bank. Perhaps you’ve heard of [name]Rive[/name] Gauche, which means “left bank” of the river Seine in [name]Paris[/name] (the other side is [name]Rive[/name] Droite, but I never hear too much about it. I think [name]Rivi[/name]”re is pretty fussy. If you intend to call him [name]River[/name], I wouldn’t get into too many other languages that don’t sound close to [name]River[/name], as that would seem kind of precious and sort of unreasonable. The Spanish word for river is [name]Rio[/name] - there we are already getting away from the sound. [name]Rio[/name] is kind of cool, although the [name]Duran[/name] [name]Duran[/name] song makes me think it’s a girl’s name, despite ending in O - and obviously being a masculine gender noun in the Spanish language.

My other idea while I’m at it, is to name him more phonetically, [name]Reeve[/name]. [name]Reeve[/name] is an English occupational name meaning “bailiff” or other administrative officer of a town or district, also used in [name]Canada[/name]. Although this meaning is obscure to me, I’m not so sure it is in the UK and [name]Canada[/name]. The dictionary also lists it as a verb, meaning to pass a rope through an opening, and also the female of the ruff (and they made me look up ruff - it’s a kind of sandpiper), so I guess it’s not that great, it’s like the hen and not the rooster of its particular kind of bird. Nameberry also says that [name]Charles[/name] and [name]Anne[/name] [name]Lindbergh[/name] used it for their daughter - so a long time ago, and yet it seems to go unnoticed as a potential girls name of any attraction (maybe not so after I mention it), like [name]Eve[/name] only kind of unisex and non-religious. I also liked [name]Christopher[/name] [name]Reeve[/name], but do not think the association makes this name unusable. It seems rather under the radar, familiar but not strictly tied to one person - probably the best Superman ever. Not too shabby.

My other opinion is, there’s nothing wrong with [name]River[/name] Kutcher. I remember you asked in another thread if it was too sing-songy, I just don’t think it’s that critical - especially if he will be known in his classes and to his friends essentially by the name [name]River[/name] Kutcher. There’s very little reason to establish a real name because you don’t want it to rhyme, and then have him go by this name you love anyway so his name will rhyme. If the rhythm of his name bothers you, then don’t call him that.

If you want to name him [name]River[/name] and then make a nickname to call him so he is familiarly known by something that doesn’t mimic the sound of Kutcher at the end (maybe I misunderstood your question? I am covering all the bases then), then I think Riv is as good as it gets. It’s like a really cool [name]Jim[/name] or [name]Tom[/name]. [name]Rio[/name] seems to come easily from [name]River[/name] than the other way around. I really hope you can use the name.

what about [name]Rivers[/name]?

[name]How[/name] about Rivan (nn [name]River[/name]). It is a literary name.

I love the name [name]River[/name] as well, but with a last name that is an actual river, I just can’t do it to a son. [name]How[/name] about [name]River[/name] as a mn, then he can go by that? I also like [name]Rivers[/name], grew up with one, not that it changes the name much. Good luck!