nickname that doesn”t resemble real name?

I was just curious if anyone calls their child by a pet name, nickname that doesn’t really resemble their real name. Our daughter, [name]Gemma[/name], for whatever reason goes by a few names, depending on who she is around. Our parents call her [name]Gemma[/name], I call her [name]Gem[/name], Gemmers, or sometimes “Pooh” which sorta just started becoming familiar when she was a newborn/infant and my spouse calls her mostly “Pooh” or “P.” She knows her real name but she also knows herself as Pooh or P. I assume once she goes to school she will go by [name]Gemma[/name] so I’m not worried. Also, we only call her Pooh or P at home, not around other people. We always introduce her as [name]Gemma[/name].

Is this a problem for anyone, or just a cute at home nickname…or is it obnoxious :slight_smile: I can take it.

It’s cute, and pretty normal. I call [name]Phoebe[/name] “Bug” and “[name]Mim[/name].” I have a friend who calls her daughter “[name]Louise[/name],” which is completely unrelated to her actual name.

It’s not obnoxious at all! I think it’s so cute when a kid has a special nickname for home. I would definitely think it was weird if you introduced her as Pooh, though, for obvious reason :wink: But I definitely think that type of thing is so adorable. I call [name]Dash[/name] “Doodle” a lot at home, but never in public. And I’m the only one who calls him that, which I like. My husband always wants to call him Buffalo but he never actually does it. I came across a blog where the woman referred to her daughter as Creamie, I thought that was so cute!

Yeah, I think most people do that, actually. :slight_smile: My oldest is named [name]Camille[/name] but she’s always [name]Mia[/name], [name]Mimi[/name], [name]Milly[/name]…etc. We introduce her as [name]Camille[/name], though. [name]Zachary[/name] is [name]Zach[/name] and Zachy, but he also has really silly nicknames (similarly to yours, we call him Zachypoo, and also Zachy-boy) that we obviously don’t use in public, lol. [name]Laura[/name] definitely has the most nicknames - Lo and [name]Lola[/name] are the only public ones, but she’s been known in our family as Loey, [name]Lulu[/name], [name]Lulu[/name]-belle, [name]Lola[/name]-bear…lol. And of course we use the typical “sweetie” and “honey” and “princess” haha.

My point is that none of them have had any issues knowing what their actual name is! Though [name]Mia[/name] used to insist on being called [name]Mary[/name] Poppins…lol.

This is my first baby so no nicknames yet :wink: but I am a nanny and an cousin. I used to work at a daycare and also as a preschool teacher.

One of my nanny babies is an [name]Abbott[/name] – I call him [name]Abbie[/name] or Boo.
His brother is [name]Beckett[/name] – I call him B, Bex, [name]Buddy[/name] and [name]Sunny[/name].
One of my cousins is a [name]Bodhi[/name] – I call him [name]Obi[/name] or [name]Mario[/name].
His brother is [name]Mateo[/name] – I call him [name]Ace[/name] or Toad ([name]Bodhi[/name]'s nickname for him from [name]Mario[/name] and [name]Luigi[/name]).
At the preschool, a little girl was named [name]Johanna[/name] – Her parents called and introduced her as [name]Sunny[/name]. She was a lovely, happy and beautiful child.
At the daycare, there was a “[name]Baby[/name] [name]Alex[/name]” (since my name is [name]Alix[/name], too) – we had so many nicknames for her but mostly Ladybug and [name]Baby[/name] Girl.

It’s perfectly normal, I think.

My family is huge on these kinds of names, just love 'em. Not sure why. Examples:

[name]Jade[/name] (me) - Ladybird
[name]Adele[/name] - Ma belle, [name]Alouette[/name]
[name]Emily[/name] - [name]Lou[/name]
[name]Jared[/name] - [name]Jeb[/name], Pup
[name]Dane[/name] - DZ, Buggle/Bug/Bugga
[name]Rose[/name] - [name]Posy[/name]
[name]Adam[/name] - [name]Abba[/name]
[name]Danielle[/name] - Danbo, [name]Bo[/name]
[name]Brogan[/name] - [name]Tina[/name] Liakis (this one she gave herself when she was three. It stuck…)
[name]Paige[/name] - Peanutbutter

A few of my friends have them too:
[name]Victoria[/name] - Toad
[name]Kimberly[/name] - [name]Bobo[/name]
[name]Giana[/name] - Bamaboo
[name]Heather[/name] - Hedder/Hedsy
[name]Sally[/name] - [name]Finn[/name]
[name]Ellen[/name] - [name]Kipper[/name]
[name]Alex[/name] - Pushkins
[name]Ava[/name] - Bean
[name]Merideth[/name] - Junebug, Mem
[name]Shannon[/name] - Shananigens

Not weird at all. My father nicknamed both my sister and I names that are nothing like our real names and he and my Mom still call us by those to this day. They do it in public sometimes to annoy us, but otherwise it’s just a home thing. My parents call me Cece (derived from the fact that I couldn’t say my name, [name]Lisa[/name], and called myself Seesa, which my father turned into Cece because of his love of the song CC [name]Rider[/name]), and we call my sister Dobby (her name is [name]Robin[/name]) for a reason that is unbeknownst to me. It’s quite nice, actually having fun family nicknames, and I plan to carry on that tradition with my kids someday.

My daughter is named [name]Anneliese[/name] [name]Gillian[/name] but we often call her [name]Piper[/name]. As a matter of fact, until she was a little over 1, we called her [name]Piper[/name] far more than we ever called her by any of her real names. As she’s gotten older, we have fallen back on [name]Anneliese[/name], [name]Liese[/name], Liesey, [name]Gillian[/name], [name]Gill[/name], and [name]Gilly[/name] more often than [name]Piper[/name], but it still gets used. I’ve ever heard her tell people that her full name is [name]Anneliese[/name] [name]Gillian[/name] [name]Piper[/name] Maru. :slight_smile: We were in a MOPS group for awhile, and whenever we see people from that group out somewhere, they usually call her [name]Piper[/name], but often add that they know it is her nickname but can’t remember her real name! LOL

When she was 3 she wanted to go by [name]Daisy[/name], and we even have letters addressed to her as [name]Daisy[/name], from when my husband was deployed. She went through a long period where she had different names for different things (this was all her idea). [name]Anneliese[/name] in the day, [name]Gillian[/name] at night, [name]Daisy[/name] when she wore green (I think that’s what color it was), [name]Ashley[/name] was something, and [name]Piper[/name] too. There was something for when it rained, that might have been [name]Piper[/name]. She had a whole system, and would correct me when I used the wrong name!

This is on top of the cutesy nicknames that she has like Starbuck and Sweet Potato and Sneezle! I call her Bean sometimes too, short for [name]Gilly[/name] Bean. It’s such fun!

Well thanks everyone, my worries are gone. Those are some fantastic nicknames. I bet there are some funny stories behind them. I guess Pooh, P, Pmac, Peemers, Peeps, and Meeps will turn out just fine. :slight_smile:

I am so curious why you started calling her [name]Piper[/name]! Also, it’s totally adorable that she has different names for different things, haha, she’s a berry in the making!

[name]Hi[/name]! My name is [name]Lauren[/name], and my parents have called me [name]Birdie[/name] since I was a little girl - I’m twenty. My dad usually calls me [name]Bird[/name], and my mom calls me [name]Bird[/name], [name]Birdie[/name], or occasionally - embarrassingly! - [name]Birdie[/name] [name]Bear[/name]. I think she only came up with [name]Birdie[/name] [name]Bear[/name] because she occasionally calls my twin sister Sar [name]Bear[/name] or [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Bear[/name]. She usually calls my sister by her name, [name]Sarah[/name], or her full name, first and middle. And, she calls my brother by his name, or his nickname - [name]Ben[/name], for [name]Benjamin[/name]. Sometimes [name]Benny[/name], usually just [name]Ben[/name]. I’m the only odd ball! My friends and teachers and other people have always called me [name]Lauren[/name], except for those who choose nicknames semi-related to my name. Only my parents and sometimes my grandparents call me [name]Birdie[/name]. I honestly probably wouldn’t respond if my parents called my name as [name]Lauren[/name] - I’m just too used to [name]Birdie[/name] now!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]EDIT[/name]! I just wanted to come back and edit this to say that my parents [name]DO[/name] use [name]Birdie[/name] in public! I was noticing that many people said their kids’ nicknames were an at-home-only sort of deal, but mine’s not, and I honestly don’t mind. Maybe my nickname isn’t that weird, though, despite its not being related to my name. But I meant it when I said my parents exclusively call me [name]Bird[/name] or [name]Birdie[/name] - they don’t use my name. A couple years ago during my college move-in days, my dad called my name from about 35 feet away, and he said [name]Lauren[/name]. It was just unnatural, and I didn’t turn around! I just am not used to my parents using my name anymore! A little weird, I guess…

I think its cute when you have nick names at home.
My name is [name]Samantha[/name] but my dad always calls me [name]Matt[/name]…long story!

My twin brother is named [name]William[/name] [name]Sheppard[/name], but my mother called him Willbo ever since I can remember, but I couldn’t make the “w” sound for a long time, so I’ve always called him [name]Bo[/name]. But I use that in public and I plan on having a son named or nicknamed [name]Bo[/name]!