Nicknames for Aphrodite?

I was going over my femme combos today and realized that I have nickname options for almost everything except [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f]. It seems like there aren’t any good intuitive options - Phro / Fro and Aphro / Afro are right out; [name_f]Ro[/name_f] is not an option because of a former acquaintance; and while [name_f]Di[/name_f] technically works, I don’t love that it sounds like “die.”

I’ve been known to get creative with my nicknames - [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] from [name_f]Melusine[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f] from [name_f]Reverie[/name_f], Wish from [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f], etc - so I’m open to any ideas you have, even if they’re a little on the unusual side!

1 Like

Hmm, maybe…

[name_f]Affie[/name_f]
[name_f]Effie[/name_f]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_f]Dottie[/name_f]
[name_u]Panda[/name_u] (really a stretch but if you take it from one of the goddess’s other names, Pandemos?)

1 Like

Some are a bit of a stretch, but…
Frey
Freya
Adira
Dear
Free
Fay
Fi
Phiro
Poppy
Addie
Pretty
Fairy
Ray / Rae
Flora
Day
Fior
Rio
Fiora
Dove
Rose (Dove and Rose are symbols of Aphrodite as well)
Also Ai -means love in Japanese

2 Likes

[name_f]Effie[/name_f]
[name_f]Dottie[/name_f]
[name_f]Dita[/name_f]
Roo
[name_u]Fee[/name_u]

2 Likes

Appy (like [name_u]Abby[/name_u], but with a p instead of b sound) or Aphie.

1 Like

In [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] Wood’s novel, [name_u]East[/name_u] [name_f]Lynne[/name_f], there’s a character called [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f] who goes by Affy which I thought was cute!

Aphrodite…

Tee
Roda/Rhoda
[name_f]Attie[/name_f]
[name_u]Odie[/name_u]
Otie (like oat-ee)
[name_f]Addie[/name_f]
Ti/Ty
Arro
Phee

1 Like

[name_u]Rhodes[/name_u]

@Luminen - I love [name_f]Effie[/name_f] for [name_f]Euphemia[/name_f] and [name_u]Panda[/name_u] for [name_f]Pandora[/name_f]! I hadn’t even thought of them for [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f]. I’m on the fence about [name_f]Affie[/name_f]. I don’t care for [name_u]Rory[/name_u], plus she would have a cousin with that name. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite here is [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] by a landslide. So cute and sweet and vintage!

@hyacinth.bea - I love how creative these suggestions are! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_u]Free[/name_u], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_f]Fairy[/name_f] (looove), [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_u]Day[/name_u], [name_u]Dove[/name_u], and [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. Honestly, [name_f]Rose[/name_f] might be the one to beat - it’s a word name, a nature name, and very tied into the synesthesia imagery I get for [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f] - lots of rose quartz, pearls, pink seashells, ocean froth, and pale pink rose petals. [name_f]Ai[/name_f] would also be on the list of favorites, but one of my partners is known by “Aiti,” a Finnish word for mother, in lieu of Mommy or Daddy.

@LoneStar - I like [name_f]Effie[/name_f] and [name_u]Fee[/name_u], but [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] is by far my favorite of these. How would you pronounce [name_f]Dita[/name_f]? [name_f]My[/name_f] brain wants to say “DEE-tah,” but is it “DYE-tah” instead?

@Lightingale - I like where you’re going with Appy, but my brain just hears “appetizer.” :sweat_smile: Aphie is cute though!

@Greyblue - Affy is cute, I agree. It kind of reminds me of [name_m]Steven[/name_m] Universe in which [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] calls her partner [name_f]Sapphire[/name_f] her “Laffy Saffy.” :purple_heart: I also like the idea of [name_u]Odie[/name_u], but not sure about the [name_m]Garfield[/name_m] association. Phee is cute as well, and I love the idea of [name_u]Arrow[/name_u]!

@Suzannah - I’m super filing this away for if they ever wanted a masc-presenting name or nickname.

Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone!

5 Likes

I say “DEE-tah” as in [name_f]Dita[/name_f] [name_m]Von[/name_m] Teese

1 Like

That’s so sweet! I’ll be äiti to our baby due in December too while my wife will go by mama. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

mythologically speaking, one of aphrodite’s nicknames was moira. perhaps a bit of a stretch, but it is a possibility?

1 Like

@LoneStar - Good to know! I like the “dee” sound much better than the “die” sound.

@Luminen - Aww, that makes my heart really happy! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: For the three of us, I go by “mama,” S goes by “aiti” (it’s commonly used in her family because they have strong Finnish heritage), and we had intended for T to go by “uma” - however, T has kind of a chronic cough, and our little goblin-child has taken to calling them “eh-heh” instead! :sweat_smile:

@highhippogriff - Ooh, I do think [name_f]Moira[/name_f] is beautiful. Thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like

:rofl: That’s way too cute!

1 Like

[name_f]Tia[/name_f]
Fradie

1 Like

[name_m]Roddy[/name_m]
[name_f]Dita[/name_f]
[name_m]Frodo[/name_m] “Sometimes nicknames are goofy fun”
[name_f]Rhoda[/name_f]
[name_m]Mighty[/name_m] “For [name_m]Mighty[/name_m] Aphrodite”
[name_f]Aphra[/name_f] (Ay-frah)
Fido

1 Like

Aph/Aphra
Di/ Di-tee

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s grandma was [name_f]Alice[/name_f] “Alphie” which I think could be work for [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f] as well!

1 Like

[name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f] NNs: (trying not to repeat)
Didi/Deedee
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_u]Teddy[/name_u]
[name_f]Venus[/name_f] (the [name_m]Roman[/name_m] counterpart for the Greek goddess)

1 Like

[name_f]Aphra[/name_f]

1 Like