Nicknames for Arthur and other ideas

We just found out that we will be having a little boy this spring. We are ecstatic, but we are stuck on a name. If the baby was a girl, she would have been named [name]Alice[/name] (which we both love).

Our current front runner for this baby is [name]Arthur[/name]. But we have two issues with it:

1. I don’t want to name kids with names starting with the same letter, so [name]Alice[/name] would be out for the future.

2. I’m not loving [name]Art[/name] or [name]Artie[/name] as nicknames.

The nickname issue might not be big for some since [name]Arthur[/name] isn’t a terribly long name just to use as is, but I just KNOW I’m going to want to shorten it in some way. I’m always fighting the urge to shorten names of people I meet. I’m kinda liking the idea of using [name]Thor[/name] as a nickname for [name]Arthur[/name], but I’m a little worried that it might be a little out there/too much name for a little one.

So, after all of that, here are my questions:

1. What do you think of [name]Arthur[/name]? [name]Will[/name] people call him [name]Art[/name]/[name]Artie[/name] no matter what?

2. What do you think of [name]Thor[/name] as a nickname for [name]Arthur[/name]? [name]Do[/name] you have any other ideas?

3. Given that our current “short list” (below) do you have any favorites or other suggestions?

“Short List”

[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Corwin[/name] (DH likes, I’m iffy)
[name]Gideon[/name] (I love, DH is iffy)
[name]Walter[/name] nn [name]Walt[/name]
[name]Howard[/name] (is there a nickname other than [name]Howie[/name] or [name]Ward[/name]?)
[name]Calvin[/name] nn [name]Cal[/name]

Other names I like but DH shot down (for an idea of my style):

[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Saul[/name] (DH didn’t actually shoot this down, it just doesn’t go with our last name)

Thank you very much for making it through all that, and I look forward to any ideas that you amazing naming geniuses have! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Arthur[/name]!
Could you name him [name]Arthur[/name] and call him [name]Ari[/name] for short?

Another name you might like is [name]Edgar[/name].

[name]Way[/name] back when I worked in a daycare center (early 90s), there was a kid named [name]Arthur[/name] and called [name]Thor[/name]. I didn’t work with his class or age group, but it was my understanding his father’s name was [name]Arthur[/name] also, but [name]Thor[/name] - seems sort of a stretch and a little “large” for a tyke, but it also seemed natural for [name]Thor[/name] and everyone else. He wore it well. [name]Just[/name] a suggestion.

I love both the names [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Arthur[/name]. I can see your dilemma, because I’d also want to hold out for [name]Alice[/name]. I don’t think [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Arthur[/name] are TOO bad as a set, but the same initial is a bit matchy.

I like the pp’s suggestion of [name]Ari[/name]. [name]Thor[/name] to be is a bit wrong - it’s a very big name and nothing like [name]Arthur[/name] in its associations. But [name]Ari[/name] is lovely.

One idea is that you could go for [name]Archie[/name] or [name]Alfred[/name] or [name]Albert[/name] - all quite similar names. [name]Albie[/name] or [name]Alfie[/name] are very cute imo.

From your remaining list:
[name]Corwin[/name] - I don’t like this, it almost sounds a bit made up
[name]Gideon[/name] - I think it’s a strong masculine name, but I’ve never loved it
[name]Walter[/name] nn [name]Walt[/name] and [name]Howard[/name] - both [name]Walter[/name] and [name]Howard[/name] have never appealed to me. I love [name]Walt[/name] and [name]Ward[/name] though.
[name]Calvin[/name] nn [name]Cal[/name] - I love this name. Really gorgeous.

Some more suggestions:
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Barnaby[/name]
[name]Cassian[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Lewis[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Rupert[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]

1. What do you think of [name]Arthur[/name]? I love the name [name]Arthur[/name]! It feels so classic and handsome to me.

[name]Will[/name] people call him [name]Art[/name]/[name]Artie[/name] no matter what?: No. I know many people who are only known by their full name, such as a [name]Victoria[/name], two Elizabeths, two Katherines, two Olivers, two Carolines, one [name]Eleanor[/name], one [name]Louisa[/name], and even a [name]Margaret[/name].

1. What do you think of [name]Thor[/name] as a nickname for [name]Arthur[/name]? [name]Thor[/name] feels like a huge surperhero name to me, and very different from the more studious sounding [name]Arthur[/name].

[name]Do[/name] you have any other ideas? I love the idea of calling him [name]Ari[/name].

1. Given that our current “short list” (below) do you have any favorites or other suggestions?

“Short List”

[name]Arthur[/name]:

[name]Archibald[/name] (nn [name]Archie[/name])
[name]Barnaby[/name] (nn [name]Abe[/name])
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
Theodure
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]William[/name]

[name]Corwin[/name] (DH likes, I’m iffy): I think of [name]Jeff[/name] [name]Corwin[/name], the animal expert.

[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Abbott[/name] (nn [name]Abe[/name])
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Corbin[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Kellan[/name]
[name]Maxfield[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Piers[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Quillen[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Shepherd[/name]
[name]Truman[/name]
[name]Vaughn[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name]
[name]Winslow[/name]
[name]Whittaker[/name]

[name]Gideon[/name] (I love, DH is iffy): I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Gideon[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Abraham[/name]
[name]Abram[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Micah[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Samson[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name] (intead of [name]Saul[/name]…)
[name]Tobias[/name]

My favorite [name]Gideon[/name] combos:

[name]Arlo[/name] [name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Milo[/name] [name]Gideon[/name]

[name]Gideon[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name] [name]Charles[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name] [name]Miles[/name]

[name]Walter[/name] nn [name]Walt[/name]: I like [name]Walter[/name]…

[name]Alfred[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Archibald[/name]/[name]Archie[/name]
[name]Barnaby[/name] (nn [name]Abe[/name])
[name]Baxter[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Franklin[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]Willard[/name]

[name]Howard[/name] (is there a nickname other than [name]Howie[/name] or [name]Ward[/name]?): [name]Howie[/name] and [name]Ward[/name] are the only nicknames I know of…

In addition to the names listed under [name]Walter[/name]:

[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Homer[/name]
Howland (I can see it as a middle)

[name]Calvin[/name] nn [name]Cal[/name]: I love it!

See [name]Arthur[/name]

Other names I like but DH shot down (for an idea of my style):

[name]Gabriel[/name]: I love this and suggested it before reading this far. :slight_smile:
[name]Theodore[/name]: Ditto!
[name]Isaac[/name]: Ditto!
[name]Saul[/name] (DH didn’t actually shoot this down, it just doesn’t go with our last name): What about [name]Solomon[/name]?

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for making it through all that, and I look forward to any ideas that you amazing naming geniuses have! :)[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name] there…

I just thought i’d chip in seeing that i’m called [name]Arthur[/name].

I’m 21 and have always had the problem of nicknames… as a child art or artie used to lead to kids calling me artie fartie or just fart!!!

I haven’t heard of thor as a nickname but sounds quite nice i think. AS for the name itself, i love it and can promise you nobody will forget it or him!

To answer your question I dislike the name [name]Arthur[/name], sorry.

Firstly, I love [name]Alice[/name] and I would want to keep this one in case I had a daughter later.

Instead of [name]Arthur[/name] would you consider

[name]Winston[/name]
[name]Montgomery[/name]
[name]Vaughn[/name]
or [name]Harold[/name], [name]Henry[/name] or [name]Harrison[/name] because I love [name]Harry[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Laurence[/name]
[name]Gerard[/name]
[name]Gerald[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]

I like [name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Isaac[/name]

or [name]Silas[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name]

or [name]Leo[/name] [name]Walter[/name]

or [name]Calvin[/name] [name]Daniel[/name]

or [name]Harold[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name]

or [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name]

or [name]Charles[/name] [name]Edward[/name]

or [name]Laurence[/name] [name]Henry[/name]

or [name]Vaughn[/name] [name]Richard[/name] or [name]Richard[/name] [name]Vaughn[/name]

or [name]Gerard[/name] [name]Hamish[/name]

or [name]Joel[/name] [name]Christopher[/name]

or [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Andrew[/name]

There’s a musician named [name]Ace[/name] Enders, and his full name is [name]Arthur[/name]. I think [name]Ace[/name] is a stellar name, its at the top of my list. Could you see yourself using [name]Ace[/name] as has nickname? I don’t think thor would fly, unless you called him that all the time.

It’s too bad you don’t like [name]Art[/name]/[name]Artie[/name]. I actually really like them - they sound so homey and laid back, a nice alternative for the serious and regally named [name]Arthur[/name]. I do think it would be fairly easy to name him - and call him - “[name]Arthur[/name],” but [name]Thor[/name] might be a bit of a stretch, in my opinion.

Other names I like from your list:

[name]Walter[/name] nn [name]Walt[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name] nn [name]Cal[/name]

Wow - my thread popped back up!

I think we have officially decided on [name]Arthur[/name]. I went through a week or so trying to get used to calling him [name]Calvin[/name], but it just didn’t work. [name]Arthur[/name] just “feels” right for some reason.

I’m still not a huge fan of [name]Art[/name]/[name]Artie[/name], but I have found myself calling him [name]Artie[/name] to my husband a time or two. To the young man named [name]Arthur[/name] who brought up the [name]Art[/name]/fart thing, that is a concern for me. I usually figure that any name can be made fun of, but this one just seems so gosh darn easy. It’s like we’re asking for it.

I’ve pretty much given up on the idea of [name]Thor[/name] as a nickname. I still think it’s a pretty cool name, but it just doesn’t fit with [name]Arthur[/name].

I think [name]Ari[/name] and [name]Ace[/name] are pretty interesting nickname ideas. I’ll have to try them out and see if they stick!

If anyone would like to chime in on middle names, we’re going back and forth between:

[name]Arthur[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]

and

[name]Arthur[/name] [name]Howard[/name]

I’m leaning towards [name]Arthur[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]. That way, if he ends up really hating [name]Arthur[/name], he could go by [name]Joe[/name] or AJ.

Thank you for all of your advice, and I’m certainly still open to nickname ideas. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name]Hi[/name], just to say I have an 11 year old son called [name]Arthur[/name], and he loves his name! Nobody or very few other children are called it unlike [name]Tom[/name], or [name]Jack[/name] or [name]Ben[/name] or [name]Alfie[/name] so it makes him unique. As the guy said who is called [name]Arthur[/name] too, nobody ever forgets him. With regards to nicknames he has never been called anything other than [name]Arthur[/name] by all his friends, and never fart or fartie artie, or if he has it really hasn’t worried him. Also, I have to say I do call him [name]Art[/name] but only because I think at 11 it is actually quite a cool shortening, and he is quite a jack the lad, so it suits him. I think it is a brilliant name - go for it!!

I like [name]Arthur[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]