Nicknames for Blake?

Now that we have firmly settled on [name]Blake[/name] for our baby girl’s first name (still working on the middle, though) my poor hubby has been driving himself nuts trying to think of some cute nicknames for our little angel. So far all we’ve got is [name]Bee[/name], which is adorable but, regrettably, the name of my Camaro. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Why would you want a nickname for a one-syllable name? I could see calling her Blakey but you do not need to shorten her name. Why don’t you just let it evolve.

I can’t think of a nickname FOR [name]Blake[/name], except the kind that have nothing to do with someone’s name. My old friend’s youngest sister was called “Punkin” for a very long time by her father. I knew an adult woman named [name]Peppy[/name] - come to find out her name wasn’t [name]Peppy[/name] or [name]Penelope[/name] or anything like that, I guess she was peppy and it stuck. My cousin was called [name]Poppy[/name], or I suppose Papi, because he was named after his father. It took me ages to find out that his real name was also [name]Francis[/name]. I swear I thought his name was [name]Poppy[/name] and never thought it was weird either.

I think names like [name]Blake[/name] are names like [name]Blake[/name] because they don’t need a nickname and are not supposed to have a nickname. Sorry your husband is racking his brain for something adorable, but one’s name is often adorable enough! I never had a nickname and I got by just fine!

Thanks guys! We really do not have a need for a nickname, it is just a compulsion of my husband’s, you see :slight_smile: He’s taken to calling her Blakey, actually, so I guess that’s good enough for him!

The closest I can get to a nn for [name]Blake[/name]: on the show Wonderfalls, there was once a character named [name]Bianca[/name], and everyone called her Binky. Possibly that would work for [name]Blake[/name] too?

Also, depending on what middle name you give baby, you could call her by her initials, e.g. BJ, BG, BB, etc. :slight_smile:

[name]Phaedra[/name], you watched Wonderfalls? It’s one of my favorite shows!

What about Blakesie? I don’t know how you’d spell it, but it’s easier to say that Blakey (for me, anyway!). And I think you can call her [name]Bee[/name], even if it’s your car’s name! You can tell her you named the car after her… or, you could change the your car’s name.

I agree that you could change your car’s name and call her [name]Bee[/name]. Or you could call her [name]Billie[/name]. Or you might call her something special that has nothing to do with [name]Blake[/name]. It would just be a name for around the house. My daughter is named [name]Laura[/name], but sometimes we call her Voo, Miss Voo, or Voovie.

Yeah [name]Lyndsay[/name]! I even rented the DVDs so I could finish the season. lol. I really like the girl name [name]Jaye[/name] too, probably because of that show, even though it’s not my usual style at all.

On the topic of nicknames, I think they’re really hard to plan for, as someone above was saying. My son [name]Wesley[/name] is sometimes [name]Westerly[/name], Westerfield, [name]Buddy[/name], or Buddychucks depending on my mood. lol.

Buddychucks! I love it! :slight_smile:

Oh, Binky is absolutely precious, my husband (he especially) and I both adore it :slight_smile: I probably couldn’t stand to change my car’s name, as ridiculous as that sounds – I’ve had him for over 10 years now and he is very much so part of our family, haha! [name]James[/name], for now, is perfectly content in calling her both Blakey and now Binky, so that is more than good enough for me :slight_smile: I am very sure that once she is here she’ll develop a whole new slew of nicknames; he’s just happy to have something else to call her by right now!