Nicknames for Madeleine

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is the name I have picked for a future baby girl but I’m not a fan of the nickname [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]. What are some other nicknames I could use? Thanks for your input! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is on my short list. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite nickname would be [name_f]Elle[/name_f].

[name_f]Elle[/name_f]
[name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Addie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lele[/name_f] (lee-lee)
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Leni[/name_f]
[name_f]Dee[/name_f]
[name_f]Dee[/name_f] [name_f]Dee[/name_f]
[name_u]Lyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Leina[/name_f] (pronounced layna or lena) the best! I can also see [name_f]Della[/name_f]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] that spelling of [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]!

I hate to be the downer here, but if you name a child [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], at some point they will be called [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]. Or she may even decide she wants to be called [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]. [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] is just so instinctive with [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], I honestly think it will be hard to avoid.

I love [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]! If you use the nickname enough eventually it’ll stick. With our dd [name_f]Brianna[/name_f], we call her [name_f]Bria[/name_f] so much so that’s what she goes by. So [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] cld happen but reinforcing your chosen nickname might just work fine. I like [name_f]Elle[/name_f] :slight_smile:

Thank you for the suggestions! I love [name_f]Elle[/name_f] and [name_f]Leina[/name_f] ([name_f]Lena[/name_f] or [name_f]Layna[/name_f]) :slight_smile:

I love [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] too; we were torn whether to use it (prn “lehn” at the end) or [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] (prn “line” at the end). We ultimately went with [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] for our daughter, and it fits her perfectly. We mainly use her full name, but like you we wanted to be ready w/ a nn other than [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] (not a fan either). Another [name_u]Berry[/name_u] told me on here that her gma’s name was [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] and she was called Madsie. I thought that was cute and just different enough to satisfy me. So when we do call our daughter by a shortened name, we use [name_m]Mads[/name_m] or Madsie. For [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], I also like [name_f]Lena[/name_f], but I do think the first syllable of [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]/[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is more instinctive, but you can certainly make her nn what you want it to be.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] Madsie or even just [name_m]Mads[/name_m] is cute! Thanks!

Yay! That nn idea ([name_m]Mads[/name_m]/Madsie) was what allowed me to be able to use the name; before that I was too put off by [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

[name_u]Dell[/name_u] or [name_f]Della[/name_f]

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the suggestion of Madsy!

[name_f]Mae[/name_f]
Madelie
[name_f]Maidie[/name_f]
Madou, Madu
[name_f]Madelon[/name_f] (mahd-lon)
[name_f]Mallie[/name_f]
[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]
[name_u]Malin[/name_u]

depending on the middle name, everything from [name_u]Max[/name_u] ([name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]), [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] ([name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]), Maby ([name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]), [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] ([name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f])?

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]; usually I prefer to just go by my full-name but people do tend to call me [name_f]Maddy[/name_f] or some variation. In elementary school, everyone else had cute nicknames so I became “[name_f]Madie[/name_f]” (pronounced the same as [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] but minus a D to preserve the uniqueness I so desperately desired). [name_f]My[/name_f] parents didn’t want me to be called [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] but unfortunately it did stick. Now that I’m older, I tell people to just call me by my full name but teachers often forget and use [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] because that’s what all the other Madelines/Madisons do. I really wish I had used [name_f]Lena[/name_f] (I used to write short stories featuring a character named [name_f]Lena[/name_f] because I loved the name so much, but I never thought to use it as a nickname). Maybe in college I’ll ask people to use it but I feel quite tethered to [name_f]Madie[/name_f] right now.
[name_f]My[/name_f] parents used to call me [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] so that could be a potential nickname, also middle-names are a factor. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] so my family used to call me “Madcole” since I couldn’t pronounce my whole name.