Nicknames for Margaret?!

My name is [name]Margaret[/name] and I’ve been thinking of using a nickname for myself so it can be easier for others when spelling/remembering my name. And also because I think it would be fun. So I’m asking the berries here if they know of any interesting nicknames they would like to share.
Here are the nicknames I don’t like (feel free to prove me wrong):
[name]Peg[/name]/[name]Peggy[/name]- all I see is pig and piggy.
[name]Meg[/name]- seems too dull
[name]Margie[/name]- just unsavory
[name]Marge[/name]- Simpsons!
[name]Margerie[/name]/[name]Margery[/name]- margarine
[name]Madge[/name]- not quite sure why. [name]Just[/name] don’t see the appeal…
I’m stuck on deciding whether or not I like the names [name]Maggie[/name] or [name]Greta[/name]. Wdyt?
The nicknames I like so far:
[name]Mar[/name]
[name]Margo[/name]/[name]Margot[/name]

I love your name. Beautiful and classic. Between [name]Maggie[/name] and [name]Greta[/name], I like [name]Greta[/name] a bit more. I also really like [name]Margery[/name]. What about spelling it [name]Marjorie[/name]? Does that help at all get away from margarine?

Well, [name]Maggie[/name]'s pretty standard, but [name]Greta[/name] is gorgeous, full of star vintage power and beauty but understated. It would be my go-to pick.

[name]Mar[/name] is alright verbally, but I wouldn’t sign anything [name]Mar[/name] ____ (seems too oddly casual) and I don’t know how it helps with spelling since it could be short for [name]Mary[/name], [name]Maria[/name], [name]Marilyn[/name], [name]Martina[/name], [name]Marcella[/name], [name]Meredith[/name] (almost sound-wise), etc. But it is cute. As for [name]Margo/name and [name]Margery[/name], I don’t really see them as nicknames for [name]Margaret[/name]… They are names on their own, so if you said your name was [name]Margot[/name], I’d probably think that was actually your name, haha. But I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Margot[/name] and it does sound like [name]Margaret[/name], so hey, who’s to say “no”? :slight_smile:

You might also consider [name]Mae[/name]/[name]May[/name] and [name]Etta[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name]).

I second ellenelle’s idea of [name]Etta[/name]. [name]Lovely[/name] option!

[name]Greta[/name], [name]Margot[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Mamie[/name] and [name]Maisie[/name] are my favourite nn’s for [name]Margaret[/name]! You’re lucky to have the name Margaret. It’s one of the best names for nn options along with Elizabeth, Mary and Catherine/Katherine.

Thank you! And yes [name]Greta[/name]'s sounding better and better every time I say it. [name]Marjorie[/name] does help, but my sister used to tease me when I was younger calling me [name]Margery[/name] margarine. So she kind of ruined it for me…

[name]Just[/name] go with [name]Daisy[/name]! :wink: [name]Greta[/name] would be my top pick of all those you listed. And [name]Margot[/name] next. The rest don’t appeal to me. I hope you find one that fits you!

[name]Etta[/name] sounds beautiful! I’ll add that to my list.
It’s a shame I can’t use [name]Daisy[/name] since that’s the name of one of my relatives dogs. :stuck_out_tongue:
But I’ll keep the other suggestions in mind. Since I’m also an aunt, it might be easier for my niece to call me Aunt [name]Etta[/name] or Aunt [name]Greta[/name] when she can talk.

I love [name]Maggie[/name], [name]Margo[/name]/[name]Margot[/name] and [name]Greta[/name]… there’s also [name]Retta[/name]/[name]Etta[/name] if you wanted to go with that

I love [name]Maggie[/name] and [name]Greta[/name]! So sweet. I think [name]Maisie[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Mari[/name] (or even [name]Ari[/name]), and [name]Etta[/name] are sweet, too.

[name]Ari[/name]! I love the nickname [name]Ari[/name], and it so works with [name]Margaret[/name] because it’s got double Ar sounds.
I also like the idea of [name]Mara[/name], and [name]Margo[/name], [name]Maggie[/name].

[name]Rita[/name] hasn’t been mentioned yet. I think it’s a fun nickname.

I love [name]Margo/name, [name]Maisie[/name], [name]Mamie[/name], and [name]Maggie[/name].

I personally think for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] you should do something pretty and old-fashioned but modern,
because it’s a really, really, great name for this century, nice, not like the stupid ones everyone has now.

Maybe:
[name_f]Peg[/name_f]/[name_f]Peggy[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] (needs the silent ‘T’)
[name_f]May[/name_f]
Or [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]

You’d probably know, because it’s your name,
But to clarify to those people who forget-

that [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] is a nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] because ‘[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]’ is inspired by the [name_m]French[/name_m] name ‘[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]’, which means [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. Which is also a one of the meanings of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

It’s pretty, believe-able, cool and a bit unusual.

I’m sorry, but for those confused, [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] (the correct real spelling, [name_f]Margerey[/name_f] is fake and made-up, and created in this century but not actually used), is a real standard name alone, not related to [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] at all.

The ‘G’ in [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is pronounced ‘ghhh’
Not like a ‘J’, everyone know’s ‘[name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]’ is, with the obvious nickname ‘[name_f]Marge[/name_f]’ ([name_f]Mar[/name_f]-jjj), and ‘[name_f]Margie[/name_f]’ (Marjj-iee). If you hear someone called [name_f]Marge[/name_f] or [name_f]Margie[/name_f], you know that’s what it is, the nickname, pretty much considered a name. Marg(Not a nickname for anything, not short for [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], it’s fake, not spelt that way) is not a nickname for either. [name_f]Margie[/name_f]/[name_f]Marge[/name_f] doesn’t work for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], makes no sense. [name_f]Margie[/name_f]/[name_f]Marge[/name_f] for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] (pronounced the ‘G’ way) is not a nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], it has not been invented, and is not plausible. And looks too much like [name_f]Marge[/name_f], because it is. It simply isn’t real. Please know that.

Sorry!!!I’m really sorry, guys, my cousin got on my account and wrote this. Although, I have to say, I agree with her.